PDA

View Full Version : Nationally Ranked: #1 Keller (37-2) vs. #9 Garland (33-0-1)

kepdawg
06-04-2005, 10:17 AM
I know it's 5A, but in tonight's softball state championship in 5A the #1 team in the nation Keller will face the #9 team in the nation Garland.

Keller defeated Garland in a scrimmage while Garland handed Keller one of its two losses during the season. Should be a heck of a game!

Three other Texas teams are in the top 25 nationally as well: #4 Tomball, #6 Fort Bend Elkins, and #21 Midland Lee.

kepdawg
06-05-2005, 01:08 AM
0-0 heading to the 15th inning!

Keller's pitcher Kirsten Shortridge is working on a no hitter.

kepdawg
06-05-2005, 01:41 AM
Keller wins the state champioship 4-0 in 15 innings!

Kirsten Shortridge lost her bid for a no hitter after 14 2/3 innings.

Keller should indeed end the season with the #1 national ranking!

AggieJohn
06-05-2005, 02:42 AM
that's amazing

18handicap
06-05-2005, 05:46 AM
I just got home at 5:40 am from the state softball tournament which ended about 1:50 am. We all wondered if the powers of the UIL would stop the game at Midnight according to it's own rules of not playing on Sunday, or let them finish. They almost had to finish it Monday when the lightning delay occurred and they cleared the field and bleachers. It was an entertaining game to say the least, but I would like to know what the act was that Keller team did when the game was over and why. Once the 1B caught the ball, when everyone starting jumping and hugging, she walked real slow toward the circle with the ball, like it might not be over. Then she threw the ball into the air and the entire team all acted like they fainted and wiggled to the ground at the same time and then all jumped back up. This looked like it was planned and that either showed a lot of unsportsmanlike conduct or just a real cocky team. Then the UIL administrator has to go and break up all of the hugs because they were delaying the traditional handshake and the Garland kids were waiting for quite a while to shake hands. I don't think Peter Contreras was real happy about it.

Keller 000 000 000 000 004 = 4-10-1
Garland 000 000 000 000 000 = 0-1-0

GOFOR2
06-05-2005, 09:52 AM
That is ashame. To put such a crappy ending to what was otherwise a great game and a heck of a season. Hate to see such unsportsmanlike conduct at that level. The Brenham-Andrews game had plenty of rough/unsportsmanlike play as well.

HighSchool Fan
06-05-2005, 10:04 AM
i don't see anything wrong with it, they're kids, let them enjoy the moment. to many people these days claim unsportsmanlike conduct when their team loses. why don't we just let kids be kids and stop trying to live our lives thru them.

LH Panther Mom
06-05-2005, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
i don't see anything wrong with it, they're kids, let them enjoy the moment. to many people these days claim unsportsmanlike conduct when their team loses. why don't we just let kids be kids and stop trying to live our lives thru them.

I agree to an extent, but from recent experience in this past football season, it's hard enough on the losing team at this level of play. To have to stand around on the field, looking helpless, while waiting 5-10 minutes to congratulate the winning team is very rough on the players. That's why many of us feel it's poor sportsmanship.

HighSchool Fan
06-05-2005, 10:24 AM
i would almost bet my bottom dollar that garland would of had some type of celebration if they would of won.

btw, i know it's harder on the losing kids when the ref blows a time out call at the end of the game.

18handicap
06-05-2005, 10:59 AM
They may have celebrated, but not a choreographed stunt.....

GOFOR2
06-05-2005, 11:06 AM
Confidence is great at any level, but arrogance cannot be tolerated, nor can any type of celebration that humiliates the opponent or leaves a sour taste in their mouths. Losing is hard enough, then to endure that type of stuff....thats uncalled for. Put yourself in the losers shoes.
YOU

GOFOR2
06-05-2005, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by GOFOR2
Confidence is great at any level, but arrogance cannot be tolerated, nor can any type of celebration that humiliates the opponent or leaves a sour taste in their mouths. Losing is hard enough, then to endure that type of stuff....thats uncalled for. Put yourself in the losers shoes.
YOU

YOU WIN WITH CLASS. YOU LOSE WITH CLASS.

GOFOR2
06-05-2005, 11:12 AM
My bad, didnt mean to make it sound like i was yelling.

18handicap
06-05-2005, 11:15 AM
GOFOR2,
Did you stay until the very end??

HighSchool Fan
06-05-2005, 11:18 AM

actually, they won with good pitching :p

it's a game, don't take it for anything else. if the kids that lost can't handle that little celebration, they are gonna have a tough life. they will have alot worse things happen to them later on in life.

kepdawg
06-05-2005, 11:20 AM
Congrats to Keller on the win and the state championship! When I saw them early in the playoffs, they appeared to be one of the most well prepared teams I have ever seen in any sport at any level. They could have done an entire song and dance routine at the end of the game and that'd be just fine with me!

18handicap
06-05-2005, 11:24 AM
I'm not a kid -- I'm a coach who was with a lot of people who thought that the act was a little out of line. I've lost in the state tournament. Celebrate, shake hands, hug, take pictures -- all great -- what they did I thought was a little arrogant. They had fun and had a great team -- there's no taking away from that.

HighSchool Fan
06-05-2005, 11:33 AM
no one said you was a kid, we just said let the kids be kids and have fun. again, it's only a game. i won't help them on their resume when they go look for a real job.

18handicap
06-05-2005, 11:40 AM
Arrogance won't help them either......but confidence will.

PhiI C
06-05-2005, 11:41 AM
It is natural to celebrate at the end of a game but it sounds like Keller went a little too far. I have been on both ends of a State Championship games both losing and winning in 3A baseball. One year Sinton beat Forney for State and the next year Lorena beat Sinton for State. In both years both the losers and winners after the game showed great class. Sure celebrating was done by the winner as you would expect but it wasn't carried too far like it appears that Keller may have done.

HighSchool Fan
06-05-2005, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by 18handicap
Arrogance won't help them either......but confidence will.

looks like they were pretty conifident, they did make up a celebration ahead of time.

LH Panther Mom
06-05-2005, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
looks like they were pretty conifident, they did make up a celebration ahead of time.

:doh: :doh: I hate it when you have a good point! :crazy:

:evillaugh :evillaugh

HighSchool Fan
06-05-2005, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
:doh: :doh: I hate it when you have a good point! :crazy:

:evillaugh :evillaugh

i guess that means that you don't hate me to often :D