PDA

View Full Version : Places to eat in College Station?

KTJ
06-03-2005, 05:28 PM
Where are some good eating places here? I will be here Saturday, Sunday and Monday for a basketball tournament. (I'll be reffing the entire weekend.) So on my down time, I'll need to eat. And McDonalds doesn't qualify as a good place, although Chick-Fil-A does.

And yes, Longhorn gear will be out in full force while I'm there. :D

Old Tiger
06-03-2005, 05:35 PM
You got Outback Steakhouse, Cafe Eccell, Freebirds, Casa Ole, Taco Cabana, Red lobster, and many others. Get on Texas Ave. and you'll see a lot!

AggieJohn
06-03-2005, 06:28 PM
there is a place on texas called blue baker, it's off of dominic, if you are going down texas towards six, go past george bush and make a U turn to get into the other land and turn on dominic it's after gumbys and whataburger....

00Sinker
06-03-2005, 06:55 PM
The Olive Garden is pretty fast in the later part of the afternoon.

00Sinker
06-03-2005, 06:58 PM
Oh yeah Buffalo Wild Wings on University drive is good too. They have a bunch of big screens to watch while you eat.

LH Panther Mom
I'm not sure that it's still there, but Rockfish has excellent food. It's the only time I've eaten calamari that I didn't feel like I needed to wipe the taste off my tongue...very bueno.

KTJ
I can get all of those chain restaurants anywhere in Austin and Dallas. But if that's what you guys consider unique food to College Station....

rockdale80
06-03-2005, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
I can get all of those chain restaurants anywhere in Austin and Dallas. But if that's what you guys consider unique food to College Station....

there is a mexican food dive called Coco Loco on texas avenue in bryan.....look for a Preference Inn and it is in the same parking lot. Chicken Oil has good burgers and it is on College Main.

sahen
06-03-2005, 07:24 PM
Freebirds.....very good....i think that is what its called...they have those wrap things there....

CHS_CG
06-03-2005, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
there is a mexican food dive called Coco Loco on texas avenue in bryan.....look for a Preference Inn and it is in the same parking lot. Chicken Oil has good burgers and it is on College Main.

I love Chicken Oil... also Fitzwillys(i think i spelt that right) has pretty good food.

KTJ
06-04-2005, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by sahen
Freebirds.....very good....i think that is what its called...they have those wrap things there....

Dude, we have like 10 Freebirds in Austin. :D

And they are all nasty.

pirate44
06-04-2005, 06:02 AM
is Layne's still there?(i think thats what its called) hole in the wall place but real good chuicken fingers. dirt cheap too.

robbo93
06-04-2005, 07:40 AM
http://advertising.theeagle.com/specialsections/diningguide/2005/index.htm

try this its a dinning guide

Ranger Mom
06-04-2005, 08:02 AM
This thread rang a bell, so I went back and did a search.

Sodalaks (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24565&highlight=chicken+bacon)

Bellville22
06-04-2005, 12:47 PM
Koppe Bridge

On Wellborn outside of 2818/Harvey Mitchell.

Rundown shack looking place but best burgers around.

Old Tiger
06-04-2005, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by sahen
Freebirds.....very good....i think that is what its called...they have those wrap things there.... Those burritos can be HUGE!

sicem74
06-04-2005, 07:44 PM
noooooooo

big daddy russ
06-05-2005, 04:03 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
This thread rang a bell, so I went back and did a search.

Sodalaks (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24565&highlight=chicken+bacon)

Originally posted by KTJ
Dude, we have like 10 Freebirds in Austin. :D

And they are all nasty.
Amen and amen. Freebirds is one of the worst burritos you can buy. If you want a real burrito, drive the 25 minutes into Caldwell and go to Masfajitas. And BTW, CS doesn't have many really good restaurants. The only ones that I'd recommend in CS are Cazadores on Texas next to Kerri's Stacked Enchiladas (for Mexican food), Layne's Chicken Fingers (right next to Cazadores), or Gumby's pizza (on Dominic, my favorita pizza). All the rest are very average. If you want good food, go to Bryan. For Mexican food, take S. College from College Station (it starts right off of Northgate) and drive two or three miles into Bryan, after it turns into a two-lane road. Mi Pueblito Ponce's will be on the right. Good Mexican food at an affordable price. Closest thing in town to the way it was down south. For burgers, the Chicken Oil or the Dixie Chicken (exact same company, exact same burger) are both excellent. The Dixie Chicken is on Northgate, but if you want a good burger at a really cheap price ($3.95 for a combo meal) go to Fitzwilly's at Northgate. For sandwiches, Blue Baker is unique, but not necessarily great. Quiznos or Schloztky's could compete all the same. For Pizza, Gumby's on Dominic in CS sells the best Pizza in the world (that's just my opinion). For steaks, it's either Ken Martin's on the corner of Briarcrest and 29th or the Longhorn on Hwy 21 (both in Bryan). Another option (probably the best in the B/CS area) is Sodolak's over in Snook. Just take University Drive headed south out of CS. 10-15 minutes later you'll be in Snook. It's worth the drive.

texcaj
06-05-2005, 08:13 PM
Freebird's has great burritos and tacos. They started in College Station. They would take a good thing and screw it up in Austin...

For good BBQ, go to C&J's either in Bryan or in College Station (the College Staition one is better). They have the best in the area. Good steaks at J.Cody's in Bryan. Good burgers at Koppe Bridge. Cafe Eccel or Cafe Capri are both very good, unique places to eat if you want a more electic vibe. Kolache Rolf's has good kolaches (duh) for breakfast.

CHS_CG
06-05-2005, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
go to Fitzwilly's at Northgate.

i said that already lol:p :D

rockdale80
06-06-2005, 01:22 PM
Amen and amen. Freebirds is one of the worst burritos you can buy. If you want a real burrito, drive the 25 minutes into Caldwell and go to Masfajitas. And BTW, CS doesn't have many really good restaurants. The only ones that I'd recommend in CS are Cazadores on Texas next to Kerri's Stacked Enchiladas (for Mexican food), Layne's Chicken Fingers (right next to Cazadores), or Gumby's pizza (on Dominic, my favorita pizza). All the rest are very average. If you want good food, go to Bryan. For Mexican food, take S. College from College Station (it starts right off of Northgate) and drive two or three miles into Bryan, after it turns into a two-lane road. Mi Pueblito Ponce's will be on the right. Good Mexican food at an affordable price. Closest thing in town to the way it was down south. For burgers, the Chicken Oil or the Dixie Chicken (exact same company, exact same burger) are both excellent. The Dixie Chicken is on Northgate, but if you want a good burger at a really cheap price ($3.95 for a combo meal) go to Fitzwilly's at Northgate. For sandwiches, Blue Baker is unique, but not necessarily great. Quiznos or Schloztky's could compete all the same. For Pizza, Gumby's on Dominic in CS sells the best Pizza in the world (that's just my opinion). For steaks, it's either Ken Martin's on the corner of Briarcrest and 29th or the Longhorn on Hwy 21 (both in Bryan). Another option (probably the best in the B/CS area) is Sodolak's over in Snook. Just take University Drive headed south out of CS. 10-15 minutes later you'll be in Snook. It's worth the drive.

You should try Coco Loco...cheap, and great food....also Kerri's Stacked Enchilidas is closed....

big daddy russ
06-06-2005, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
You should try Coco Loco...cheap, and great food....also Kerri's Stacked Enchilidas is closed....
Where is Coco Loco?

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-06-2005, 08:09 PM
Don't get too excited for his reply, it's going to be a while. He's been juggling going back to school and working. If I talk to him, I'll try to find out for you. You could just call information (1411) and get directions, too.

rockdale80
06-06-2005, 09:16 PM
Where is Coco Loco?

Go down Texas into Bryan...its in the Preference Inn parking lot. Its near Autozone and Kroger. I personally think its the best Mexican food place in town.

KTJ
06-06-2005, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by texcaj
Freebird's has great burritos and tacos. They started in College Station. They would take a good thing and screw it up in Austin...

For good BBQ, go to C&J's either in Bryan or in College Station (the College Staition one is better). They have the best in the area. Good steaks at J.Cody's in Bryan. Good burgers at Koppe Bridge. Cafe Eccel or Cafe Capri are both very good, unique places to eat if you want a more electic vibe. Kolache Rolf's has good kolaches (duh) for breakfast.

Oh maybe it was nasty and screwed up in College Station where it originated and they just transferred that crappiness to Austin.

:rolleyes:

AggieJohn
06-06-2005, 09:52 PM
best mexican is mi cosina, there is like 3 of them in town the most noticable is on goerge bush between loupots and traditions

Best chinese is jin's in northgate, it's next the the tradition dorm, which is a massive building

Diocletian
06-06-2005, 10:01 PM
Go to the nearest Jack-in-the-Box and you'll be fine.....

It's the closest thing Texas has to offer to Carl's Jr.

BigChief
06-07-2005, 03:45 PM
Go to Chicken Oil Company on So. College. Good burgers, good chicken fried steaks. Dixie Chicken has the same food, but its more of a bar, and it probably wouldn't be a good idea to be decked out in burnt orange and go in alone. Oh yeah, by the way, the Freebird's in CS are run way better than the ones in Austin, Dallas, or Houston. JMHO.