PDA

View Full Version : Realignment

kepdawg
06-03-2005, 12:22 PM
Big changes in Class 2A likely

By Bill Spinks
Herald Democrat

The month of June has arrived and the high school athletic season is finally over, which gives us a chance to catch our breath, retool and resupply for football season, and look ahead.

One of the things on the horizon is the next University Interscholastic League district realignment. I like to broach this topic at this time of year because a) it fills news space in the summer, b) it's not very far away, and c) this time around, unlike the last time, things could get mighty interesting.

What does the UIL have up its sleeve for 2006? One item to watch for will be the expansion of the numbers of schools placed in both Class A and 5A. That's because of the approval of an additional playoff team per district in both classifications. There will now be four playoff teams per 5A district, and as in the other classes, three teams per 1A district.

The bottom of 5A should drop, and the top of 1A should rise - and the classifications in the middle will probably be squeezed smaller.

Sometime in October of this year, the UIL will take all high-school enrollments and rank all schools by size. After placing the biggest schools in 5A, it will then divide the list with anywhere between 192 and 225 schools in each classification from 2A through 4A. The remainder at the bottom of the list are placed in Class A.

Within each class, teams will be placed into 32 districts. In each two-year reclassification, as schools grow or shrink in relation to one another, the UIL must redraw these districts. The UIL - usually with much fanfare - announces the new districts on the first Monday in February.

In the most recent realignment cycle, Class 3A was reduced in size to 192 schools, because of the wide disparity between the largest and smallest schools in that group. Since 3A likely cannot be cut in size further, we can expect slimmer, trimmer 2A and 4A groups come next year.

That could be good news, travel-wise, for Sherman and Denison. We may see more five-team districts out west, which would mean our two local 4A schools would be more likely to rejoin some nearby neighbors such as the Denton and Frisco schools.

(The two McKinney schools will probably both go 5A next time, then drop back to 4A in 2008, after the third high school opens.) Class 3A schools will mostly be status quo statewide, but in our area, there could be several schools that join this group.

For instance, Celina seems almost guaranteed to go back up to 3A, and high-growth schools like Prosper, Aubrey and Argyle are definitely on the bubble.

Anna, which is losing a lot of Melissa ISD students who formerly attended that school, should stay 2A for now, which is good news for new head coach Chris Dodd. But after 2008, the way that town is growing, all bets are off.

The classification in which we could see a major shake-up is in 2A. If we see a significant reduction in 2A's size, we can probably say good-bye to the cozy eight-team district that most Grayson County schools have enjoyed, and see some go in one direction and the rest in another.

There's a possibility that the small 2A schools, such as Honey Grove and Blue Ridge, could drop to 1A. Varsity newcomer Melissa, on the other hand, should be a lock to jump to 2A in 2006, and may jump again to 3A in 2008.

As the enrollment figures trickle out after Oct. 1, we'll have an idea of how the future districts in our area may look - but nothing will be set in stone until the first Monday in February.

HighSchool Fan
06-03-2005, 12:33 PM
they better talk to old cardinal before the do realignment. remember he is the expert when it comes to what classification schools should be in.

Astrosdawg07
06-03-2005, 12:38 PM
Will Jasper have a chance to jump to 4A with Silsbee?

District303aPastPlayer
06-03-2005, 12:48 PM
i wonder what is going to happen around the Corpus Area with the CCISD schools and the 4A districts. CC Miller, CC Moody and i believe CC King have 4A enrollment numbers right now. It has been said that CCISD will not petition the UIL to keep Miller Moody and King at the 5A level and let them drop down. So the area 4A teams, most likely will be these:
Miller, Moody, King, Alice, Beeville, Calallen, Flour Bluff, Gregory-Portland, Kingsville, Robstown, Rockport-Fulton, Tuloso-Midway and one or two others that might get thrown into a mix. FLoresville and Pleasonton usually get grouped with the northern area schools into one district. it will be interesting to see who goes where.

I hope it would wind up like this...

Moody, Calallen, Robstown, Tuloso Midway. Alice, Kingsville

Flour Bluff, Kingsville, Rockport, King, Miller, Alice, Gregory Portland

chances are im wrong though :) but do look for Calallen, Robstown and Moody in one district... that will make a great baseball season

pirate4state
06-03-2005, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
i wonder what is going to happen around the Corpus Area with the CCISD schools and the 4A districts. CC Miller, CC Moody and i believe CC King have 4A enrollment numbers right now. It has been said that CCISD will not petition the UIL to keep Miller Moody and King at the 5A level and let them drop down. So the area 4A teams, most likely will be these:
Miller, Moody, King, Alice, Beeville, Calallen, Flour Bluff, Gregory-Portland, Kingsville, Robstown, Rockport-Fulton, Tuloso-Midway and one or two others that might get thrown into a mix. FLoresville and Pleasonton usually get grouped with the northern area schools into one district. it will be interesting to see who goes where.

I hope it would wind up like this...

Moody, Calallen, Robstown, Tuloso Midway. Alice, Kingsville

Flour Bluff, Kingsville, Rockport, King, Miller, Alice.

chances are im wrong though :) but do look for Calallen, Robstown and Moody in one district... that will make a great baseball season

You've got Kingsville in with Moody & The Bluff!! :D Shouldn't GP be somewhere in the mix??

mikecheck
06-03-2005, 01:52 PM
I heard rumor that Robstown may go down to 3A. Just a rumor though. Their numbers are not all that high.

CRHSeagle
06-03-2005, 02:03 PM
someone know where i can look at all of the numbers from last realingment?

mikecheck
06-03-2005, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by CRHSeagle
someone know where i can look at all of the numbers from last realingment?

Probably UIL website.

kepdawg
06-03-2005, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Astrosdawg07
Will Jasper have a chance to jump to 4A with Silsbee?

Is Silsbee likely to go back up? I'd be surprised if Jasper does.

Tiger90
06-03-2005, 10:04 PM
Last I was told Silsbee was around 850 at the high school. We are losing some kids. The 8th grade class is around 200 give or take a few kids.

Matthew328
06-03-2005, 11:00 PM
The bigger 3A schools could possibly move up to 4A in a domino affect caused by 5A expanding....the 4A ceiling will drop thus making the 3A ceiling drop....just my guess

MHSvarsity2007
06-04-2005, 02:37 AM
Does anybody have an "educated guess" at what the 2A numbers would be? Merkel is surprisingly the smallest school in district 4-3A. The last time I checked, Merkel had 387 students in the HS, smaller than Clyde with 419! Do they go by how many are in ALL of the schools or is it just HS? All of Merkel schools have 1400 students. Anyways, we are thinking we could be 2A in '06...what do you think??

KTJ
06-04-2005, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by MHSvarsity2007
Does anybody have an "educated guess" at what the 2A numbers would be? Merkel is surprisingly the smallest school in district 4-3A. The last time I checked, Merkel had 387 students in the HS, smaller than Clyde with 419! Do they go by how many are in ALL of the schools or is it just HS? All of Merkel schools have 1400 students. Anyways, we are thinking we could be 2A in '06...what do you think??

No one knows.

Ranger Mom
06-04-2005, 11:02 AM
What is the bottom number for 3-A right now?

and the top number for that matter?

LH Panther Mom
06-04-2005, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
What is the bottom number for 3-A right now?

and the top number for that matter?

I'm not sure of exact numbers, but I believe 400-900 or just over 900.

vet93
06-04-2005, 11:15 AM
They only set the numbers on the kids who are in high school?

Originally posted by MHSvarsity2007

kepdawg
06-04-2005, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I'm not sure of exact numbers, but I believe 400-900 or just over 900.

Close. It's 390-899 right now.

Ranger Mom
06-04-2005, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Close. It's 390-899 right now.

So right now, Merkel is sitting at 2-A numbers at 387.

How long did Ballinger play in 3-A with 2-A numbers...anybody remember? Vet93??

vet93
06-04-2005, 11:48 AM
RM...the last two alignments before we moved down to 2a we were playing with 2a numbers by the time the season began. When we arrived in 2a you would think that we would be the largest school in the district but we were actually 4th in enrollment out of 6 schools. Long term.....being a chronically low enrollment school takes its toll. While you can have seasons where you have a good group of athletes that will make you competitive....the difficulty comes in trying to be consisently good during those year when you may not have a great class of kids.

Originally posted by Ranger Mom
So right now, Merkel is sitting at 2-A numbers at 387.

How long did Ballinger play in 3-A with 2-A numbers...anybody remember? Vet93??

wildstangs
06-04-2005, 11:49 AM
Ballinger was VERY close to 2A numbers for 2 realignments if I remember correctly. Wish they would have been 2A when they had some of those awesome teams a couple of years ago.

I wonder who else out West/Panhandle will be dropping down to 3A/2A this year.