PDA

View Full Version : U.K. Couple Marks 80th Wedding Anniversary

pirate44
06-01-2005, 12:12 PM
LONDON - A British husband and wife revealed the secrets of the longest marriage of any living couple on Wednesday as they celebrated their 80th wedding anniversary — don't sleep on an argument, always share a kiss and hold hands before going to bed.

Percy Arrowsmith, 105, and his 100-year-old wife Florence, were married on June 1, 1925, after meeting at their local church in Hereford, western England, where he sang in the choir and she was a Sunday school teacher.

Queen Elizabeth II sent her congratulations to the Arrowsmiths, who celebrated their anniversary Wednesday with coffee and nibbles at home with family and friends.

"What a splendid achievement. I send you my warm congratulations and best wishes for your 80th wedding anniversary," the Queen wrote in a card to the couple.

The Arrowsmiths, who have three children, six grandchildren and nine great-grandchildren, claim the key to their long marriage is not to go to sleep on an argument. They say they always kiss each other and hold hands each night before going to bed.

"He can't settle down if I'm not holding his hand," Mrs. Arrowsmith was quoted as saying last month.

The couple's daughter Jane Woolley said her parents were both "very perky."

"She (Mrs. Arrowsmith) says she can't dance any longer but it feels good to have been married for 80 years. She says she can still have a drink," Woolley said.

Guinness World Records said the pair held records for the longest marriage for a living couple and the oldest aggregate age of a married couple.

Rabbit'93
06-01-2005, 12:17 PM
That's awesome. My great grandparents were married for 62 years and I thought that was long.:eek:

pirate44
06-01-2005, 12:20 PM
i'd have to live to be almost 109 to make it to my 80th anniversary. my wife would be a youthful 101.

AP Panther Fan
06-01-2005, 12:28 PM
Nice story.:)

For some of the ladies on here, this reminds me of the movie "Notebook" similar story, sad ending. I boo hoo'd for 30 minutes.:weeping: :weeping: :weeping:

pirate4state
06-01-2005, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan

For some of the ladies on here, this reminds me of the movie "Notebook" similar story, sad ending. I boo hoo'd for 30 minutes.:weeping: :weeping: :weeping: :weeping: :weeping: I love that movie & book!! :crying:

BullFrog Dad
06-01-2005, 01:07 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by pirate44
[B]LONDON - Queen Elizabeth II sent her congratulations to the Arrowsmiths, who celebrated their anniversary Wednesday with coffee and nibbles at home with family and friends.
daughter Jane Woolley said her parents were both "very perky."

Sounds like it.

Phil C
06-01-2005, 01:28 PM
That is great! A good tribute to them for all those 80 years. Now the only question I have is "Do they expect that marriage to last?"

:D

pirate44
06-01-2005, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
That is great! A good tribute to them for all those 80 years. Now the only question I have is "Do they expect that marriage to last?"

:D
i think so Phil C, maily because the man put his foot down from day one UK couple's honeymoon (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30131)

lepfan
06-01-2005, 04:14 PM
My grandparents were married for 64.5 years! I heard on the news that the Mr. Arrowsmith said it took two words to stay married that long...those two words are "yes dear". :)

44INAROW
06-01-2005, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan

For some of the ladies on here, this reminds me of the movie "Notebook" similar story, sad ending. I boo hoo'd for 30 minutes.:weeping: :weeping: :weeping:

I still haven't seen that movie, but it must be a tear-jerker.. I've heard alot of people say that they cried :eek:

pirate44
06-02-2005, 07:13 AM
good movie (for a chick flick). but now my wife wants to rent it again or even buy it. why do women love to inflict pain on themselves?:confused:

CheerMom
06-02-2005, 08:43 AM
My grandparents were married for 73 years.

rhs78
06-02-2005, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by CheerMom
My grandparents were married for 73 years.
Thats a long time CM,my Mom and Dad just had their 58 anv. and it their second marriage !!!! and my 500th Post!!!!!

CheerMom
06-02-2005, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by rhs78
Thats a long time CM,my Mom and Dad just had their 58 anv. and it their second marriage !!!! and my 500th Post!!!!!

Congrats, on 500!!!:clap: :clap: :clap: