PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Day - What it means...

slpybear the bullfan
05-30-2005, 04:30 PM
Memorial Day is a day set aside by the government to remember those soldiers who have fallen in service to their country. It would take far to long to list all of those who made the supreme sacrifice, so today I post the Medal of Honor citation of one Texas soldier as a way of remembering all of them on Memorial Day.

Lt. Jack Lummus was born in Ennis Texas and lived quite the atheletic life before he served his country. Picked both All-Conference in Football and Baseball during school, he went on to play pro baseball for Wichita Falls in the Texas League and went from there to the New York Giants to play Pro Football. He was still on the roster for the Giants when he was called to duty. If you have time, please read the attached link... Listed below is the citation for his CMOH.

Read the full story here of LT. LUMMUS, JACK (http://www.medalofhonor.com/JackLummus.htm)

Rank and organization: First Lieutenant, U.S. Marine Corps Reserve.

Born: 22 October 1915, Ennis, Tex.

Appointed from: Texas.

Citation: For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty as leader of a Rifle Platoon attached to the 2d Battalion, 27th Marines, 5th Marine Division, in action against enemy Japanese forces on Iwo Jima in the Volcano Islands, 8 March 1945.

Resuming his assault tactics with bold decision after fighting without respite for 2 days and nights, 1st Lt. Lummus slowly advanced his platoon against an enemy deeply entrenched in a network of mutually supporting positions. Suddenly halted by a terrific concentration of hostile fire, he unhesitatingly moved forward of his front lines in an effort to neutralize the Japanese position. Although knocked to the ground when an enemy grenade exploded close by, he immediately recovered himself and, again moving forward despite the intensified barrage, quickly located, attacked, and destroyed the occupied emplacement. Instantly taken under fire by the garrison of a supporting pillbox and further assailed by the slashing fury of hostile rifle fire, he fell under the impact of a second enemy grenade but, courageously disregarding painful shoulder wounds, staunchly continued his heroic 1-man assault and charged the second pillbox, annihilating all the occupants. Subsequently returning to his platoon position, he fearlessly traversed his lines under fire, encouraging his men to advance and directing the fire of supporting tanks against other stubbornly holding Japanese emplacements. Held up again by a devastating barrage, he again moved into the open, rushed a third heavily fortified installation and killed the defending troops. Determined to crush all resistance, he led his men indomitably, personally attacking foxholes and spider traps with his carbine and systematically reducing the fanatic opposition until, stepping on a land mine, he sustained fatal wounds. By his outstanding valor, skilled tactics, and tenacious perseverance in the face of overwhelming odds, 1st Lt. Lummus had inspired his stouthearted marines to continue the relentless drive northward, thereby contributing materially to the success of his regimental mission. His dauntless leadership and unwavering devotion to duty throughout sustain and enhance the highest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life in the service of his country.

Hupernikomen
05-30-2005, 04:47 PM
The sacrifices are not without notice and appreciation. God bless all the families who have given of their best to protect us all, and I pray that those of our finest in harm's way today are protected by the good Lord's hand.

Gobbler Fan
05-30-2005, 07:04 PM
Seargant Roy Benavides Medal Of Honor Recepient- Born Cuero ,Texas : Roy Benavides was the son of a sharecropper . Orphaned at a young age , quiet and mistaken as slow , derided as a "Dumb Mexican" by his classmates . He joined the Army at 19. On his first tour of duty in Veitnam , in 1964 he stepped on a landmine, Army doctor's thought it would be permanently crippling . It wasnt . He recovered and became a Green Beret .

During his second combat tour , in the early morning of May 2 , 1968 . Seargant Benavides monitered by radio a 12 man reconnaissance patrol. Three Green Berets , friends of his , and nine Montagnard Tribesmen had been dropped in the dense jungle west of Loc Nihn , just inside Cambodia . No man aboard the low flying helicopters could have been aware how dangerous this assignment was . Considered an enemy sanctuary , the area was known to be viligantly patrolled by a sizeable force of the North Vietnamese army intent on keeping it so. Once on the ground , the twelve men were almost immediatly engaged by the enemy and soon surrounded by a force that grew to a Batallion .

The Mission had been a mistake , and three helicopters were ordered to evacuate the besieged patrol . Fierce small arms and antiaircraft fire . wounding several crew members , forced the helicopters to return to base . Listening on the radio . Benavidez heard one of his friends scream "Get us out of here ! " and , "So much shooting it sounded like a popcorn machine . " He jumped into one of the returning Helicopters , volunteering for a second evacuation attempt . When he arrived at the scene , he found that none of the patrol had made it to the landing zone . Four were allready dead , including the team leader , and the other eight were wounded and unable to move . Carrying a knife and a medic bag , Benavidez made the sign of the cross , leapt from the helicopter hovering ten feet off the ground , and ran seventy yards to his comrades . Before he reched them he was shot in the leg , face and head . He got up and kept moving .

When he reached their position , he armed himself with an enemy rifle , began to treat the wounded , reposition them , distribute ammunition , and call in air strikes . He threw smoke grenades to indicate their location and ordered the pilot to come in close to pick up the wounded . He dragged four of the wounded aboard , and then , under intense fire and returning fire with his captured weapon , he ran alongside the helicopter as it flew a few feet off the ground toward the others . He got the rest of the wounded aboard , as well as the dead , except for the fallen team leader . Asd he raced to retrieve the body , and the classified documents the dead man had carried , he was shot in the stomach and grenade fragments cut into his back .

Before he could make his way back toward the helicopter , the pilot was fataly wounded and the aircraft crashed upside down . He helped the wounded escape the burning wreckage and organized them in a defensive perimeter . He called for airstrikes and fire from circling gunships to suppress the ever increasing enemy fire enough to allow another evacuation attempt. Critically wounded , Benavidez moved constantly along the perimeter , bringing water and ammunition to the defenders , treating their wounds , encouraging them to hold on . He sustained several more gunshot wounds , but he continued to fight . For six hours.

When another extraction helicopter landed , he helped the wounded toward it , one and two at a time . On his second trip , an enemy soldier ran up behind him and struck him with his rifle butt . Seargant Benavidez turned to close with the man and his bayonet and fought him , hand to hand , to the death . Wounded again , he recovered the rest of his comrades . As the last were lifted into the helicopter , he exchanged more gunfire with the enemy , killing two more Vietnamese soldiers , and then ran back to collect the classified documents before at last climbing aboard and collapsing , apparently dead .

The Army doctor back at Loc Nihn thought him dead anyway . Bleeding profusely , his intestines spilling from his stomach wounds , completely immobile , and unable to speak , Benavedez was placed in a body bag . As the doctor began to pull the blach shroud's zipper , Roy Benavidez spit in his face . They flew him to Saigon for surgery , where he began a year in the hospitals recovering from seven serious gunshot wounds , twenty eight schrapnel wounds , and bayonet wounds in both arms .

Hard to believe isint it , what this one man did ? And why ?

To all the Veterans out there Thank You for all your Sacrifices . And may God watch over the active personell serving our great Country today .

Diocletian
05-30-2005, 09:38 PM
We walked among the crosses
Where our fallen soldiers lay.
And listened to the bugle
As taps began to play.

The Chaplin led a prayer
We stood with heads bowed low.
And I thought of fallen comrades
I had known so long ago.

They came from every city
Across this fertile land.
That we might live in freedom.
They lie here 'neath the sand.

I felt a little guilty
My sacrifice was small.
I only lost a little time
But these men lost their all.

Now the services are over
For this Memorial Day.
To the names upon these crosses
I just want to say,

Thanks for what you've given
No one could ask for more.
May you rest with God in heaven
From now through evermore.

...........my 6 years in the Navy can't even compare to 20 seconds of a Marine in combat.......Thx to all!!!

sinton66
05-30-2005, 09:54 PM
My sentiments exactly, Diocletian.The Navy's no breeze, but it doesn't even compare to the Marines or Army in combat. God grant eternal rest to all of those who died that we might live in freedom.

slpybear the bullfan
05-30-2005, 10:53 PM
Thanks for the posts guys...

God Bless...

SintonFan
05-30-2005, 11:03 PM
Having the great priviledge to do so, put up my flag at half-staff till three today. I raised it full after three in the tradition.
I do appreciate all those who have sacrificed their lives so someone like me could do what I did today. God Bless the United States!!! God Bless those who fought for our Freedoms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LH Panther Mom
05-30-2005, 11:31 PM
I shared some thoughts earlier this morning, but the thread has gone to another page. Here they are again. :)

Everyone take a moment to reflect on what the day means to us as Americans and thank the soldiers who have and are giving their lives for us, along with those who will live through the wars, so that we have the freedoms we do.

In a short while, my husband and two younger boys, with their Boy Scout troop, will be at the local cemetary with the gentlemen from our VFW branch to replace the worn flags on veterans' graves, in honor of our soldiers.