PDA

View Full Version : Journey into Fear

Phil C
05-30-2005, 02:34 PM
This is a great movie worth watching which comes on TCM once in a while. It stars Joseph Cotten as Graham, Orson Wells as Colonel Haki Delores del Rio as Josett Martel and Ruth Warrick as Mrs. Graham and Agnes Moorehead as Mrs. Mathews, Edward Sloane as Kopeikin, and Jack Moss as Peter Banat. It was made in 1943 and deals with Cotten being an American Engineer who is to return to US to get arms to Turkey in order for the arms to get to the Russian allies during WW2. The opening takes place in Istanbul and the climax in Batum. Of course the Nazies want to assassinate Cotten in order that the arms shipment to Russia will be delayed. Wells is assigned to proteck him and Moss is assigned to kill him. This is a great movie that could have been directed by Alfred Hitchcock. It deals with moody setting especially in the boat scenes and is suspenseful and thrilling all the way through. Wells trys to secretly transport Cotten by boat to Batum but it turns out the assassions get on the boat also.

The movie is not long and only about an hour and ten minutes long but it is thrilling. Jack Moss as the killer Banat has actually the most dominate role even though he doesn't say anything. He is short and fat but the whole film is spread with heightened menance when he sat, his little round eyes blank behind his little round pebble lenses, listening to a scratcy record of someone singing Chagrin d'Amour.

I recomend that when it comes back that you watch it and record it because it takes two times to watch it to completely understand it because it is complicated but well worth the second viewing. Some people like it so much they watched it ten times - almost as much time as me watching Dawn at Socorro!

:eek:

This is a great movie to also watch when you are home on a rainy day. It will be a treat indeed.

Phil C
05-30-2005, 02:40 PM
I forgot to mention that the opening scene has got to be one of the most memoralbe scenes in any 1940's film. Especially since you know that the harmless looking fat man is really the cold blooded killer. It doesn't come close to the great opening in Beau Geste with Gary Cooper but is still a good one.

Phil C
05-30-2005, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
I forgot to mention that the opening scene has got to be one of the most memoralbe scenes in any 1940's film. Especially if you know that the harmless looking fat man is really the cold blooded killer. It doesn't come close to the great opening in Beau Geste with Gary Cooper but is still a good one.

Brian Donlavy was also in Beau Geste too and won an oscar nomination for best supporting actor.

HighSchool Fan
05-30-2005, 02:49 PM
i think i have to watch paint dry tonight, it's bound to be more exciting.

LH Panther Mom
05-30-2005, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
i think i have to watch "paint dry" tonight

Was Gary Cooper in that? ;)

HighSchool Fan
05-30-2005, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Was Gary Cooper in that? ;)

i recall it being a real good movie, so most likely he wasn't :D

Phil C
05-31-2005, 08:09 AM
The ending in Journey into Fear on the hotel window ledge with the pouring rain is very thrilling indeed.

Phil C
05-31-2005, 08:11 AM
This is the movie that if you didn't know better and someone told you it was directed by Alfred Hitchcock you would have believed it. It is that good and suspenseful.