PDA

View Full Version : Class 6A plan to go before UIL

pirate4state
09-24-2003, 08:52 AM
This article was in today's Corpus Christi's Caller Times. Here is a link to the article for those interested. wink Caller article (http://www.caller.com/ccct/high_school_sports/article/0,1641,CCCT_821_2293838,00.html)

crzyjournalist03
09-24-2003, 10:01 AM
that would be in effect for next realignment...that would be interesting.

Commerce Fan
09-24-2003, 10:10 AM
I don't think it will ever happen. Will take away too much money from playoff games. We will have to go back to 1 or 2 teams in the playoffs not 3. That = a lot of money from athletic departments. MONEY CONTROLS THE WORLD!

thunder
09-24-2003, 11:48 AM
when is the reailgnment gettogeter?

pirate4state
09-24-2003, 11:49 AM
I think the 19th of October.

sinton66
09-24-2003, 01:13 PM
I think a 6A plan would work. The main objection all along has been the travel distances involved. If the UIL would simply utilize a good logistics program, they could pass down mandatory neutral sites for the worst cases. The host site would then have to have an away game that week. For instance if CC Carroll was in the same district with the larger San Antonio schools, they could play at Victoria. Or if Eagle Pass and Carroll were in the same district, they could play in San Antonio.

JasperDog94
09-24-2003, 01:45 PM
sinton66:
If the UIL would simply utilize a good logistics program, they could pass down mandatory neutral sites for the worst cases.You do realize that this is a governmental authority that you're asking to use "good logistics". Our own state government can't even seem to get it together. I think 6A would be a miserable failure due to the lack of "good logistical planning".

Ray_BearKat
09-24-2003, 02:11 PM
After reading the article, its easy to see the valley would get be getting the bad end of this deal. With what the guys is proposing that would give the valley 1 6A school, La Joya ~4000, which would have to travel to Eagle Pass and Victoria, and ~26 5A schools. That would make 3 districts in 5A for the valley. And only 5 4A schools, most likely: Hidalgo, Raymondville, La Feria, Mercedes, and Edcouch Elsa, which would probably have to travel to the Coastal Bend which is more that 100 miles away to complete its district. They tried this a couple of years back when they put Harlingen schools in the same district with Corpus Schools they were traveling more than 4hrs round trip just to play a district game.

TexDoc
09-24-2003, 02:19 PM
The schools would never, and shouldn't, go for this plan. The schools are already strapped for money, and the travel problems this plan creates would make the situation even worse. If you don't have to send kids hundreds of miles each week for sports, then don't. It just doesn't make sense.

booger1
09-24-2003, 02:26 PM
I think they should go back to just 2 teams in the playoffs instead of 3 and another Class! More competition! And bragging rights!

CowboyFan
09-24-2003, 02:27 PM
I hope they don't do that I understand how in other regions is could help but for region 4 it was be crazy eagle pass is like 500 miles away we had to play them and laredo last year in play-offs, and traveled down to McAllen fot Area, those trip are to far to make for district, I don't think they could evenly balance the districts for this region. I mean for the school like Victoria, The Woodlands, and Converse Judson that all have over 4000 enrolled it could level the playing field for schools that have 1900, but still I don't think Regions 4 could support this yet.

Gobbla2001
09-24-2003, 02:32 PM
Wanna know something funny? I know that guy, he posts on one of the other message boards...

CentralTxFan
09-24-2003, 02:33 PM
Send an e-mail to UIL. They really do read the them and sometimes they even respond.

for athletics e-mail is...

uilath@uts.cc.utexas.edu

xlr8tor
09-24-2003, 06:08 PM
Ray_BearKat:
After reading the article, its easy to see the valley would get be getting the bad end of this deal. With what the guys is proposing that would give the valley 1 6A school, La Joya ~4000, which would have to travel to Eagle Pass and Victoria, and ~26 5A schools. That would make 3 districts in 5A for the valley. And only 5 4A schools, most likely: Hidalgo, Raymondville, La Feria, Mercedes, and Edcouch Elsa, which would probably have to travel to the Coastal Bend which is more that 100 miles away to complete its district. They tried this a couple of years back when they put Harlingen schools in the same district with Corpus Schools they were traveling more than 4hrs round trip just to play a district game.Well, not that it should be done, or that I am advising it, but this has happened recently and even more so on the 2A level. Just a few years ago Big Lake (Reagan County) had to travel 300 miles one way for a distict game with Anthony (which is actually west of El Paso). Another district game involved a 260 mile one way trip with Tornillo. Even now in the far west Texas Alpine must travel 210 miles one way to play Anthony. This comes out to some 6, 8, 10, and even 12 hour round trips for some district games. Of course, these distances are measured 'as the crow flies', so some of them may actually be a little longer. In trying to get evenly enrolled schools in the same district, sometimes there isn't a lot of choice but to have some long trips. May be there is an answer. Just my take.

<small>[ September 24, 2003, 06:13 PM: Message edited by: xlr8tor ]</small>

sinton66
09-24-2003, 06:52 PM
Ok, but in this case with Big Lake and Anthony, what would be wrong with predetermining Ft. Stockton as a neutral site for that one game? Ft. Stockton would then have to have an away game that week. That's what I meant by use of a logistics program. The military does this sort of stuff all the time.

<small>[ September 24, 2003, 06:53 PM: Message edited by: sinton66 ]</small>

crzyjournalist03
09-24-2003, 07:23 PM
Forney vs. Bonham a couple years ago was long travelling

xlr8tor
09-25-2003, 01:38 AM
sinton66:
Ok, but in this case with Big Lake and Anthony, what would be wrong with predetermining Ft. Stockton as a neutral site for that one game? Ft. Stockton would then have to have an away game that week. That's what I meant by use of a logistics program. The military does this sort of stuff all the time.I suppose something like finding a nuetral site could be looked into. But this sort of thing has been going on for some time with the above mentioned teams. Also, consider current District 2-5A which consists of 2 Amarillo teams, 3 Lubbock teams and then San Angelo Central. For San Angelo to play these district games two of their opponents (the Amarillo teams) or themselves must make a 515 mile round trip (as the crow flies) for these district games. The other 3 games (Lubbock teams) each require a 310 mile round trip. I guess my point was teams have been making these trips for a while now, and it seems to have worked. People love football and so the show goes on, even if it is a good distance. I don't hear (maybe they are and I just haven't heard) a lot of complaining from some of these teams and the ones I mentioned earlier about how far they travel, have been traveling, even though they have been traveling as far or further than some of the teams will have to travel in this new 6A proposal. I do hear more about folks complaining about having to play district games with schools of much much larger enrollments. Seems to me you can't have your cake and eat it too. I think it is a choice of having more evenly matched teams, enrollment wise, or traveling further for some games. I'd have no problem with a 6A being formed. But, then again I have no problem with the way it is now. Either way works for me, of course, they likely won't ask me. Just my take.