PDA

View Full Version : What do teachers make?

Ranger Mom
05-27-2005, 08:08 PM
The dinner guests were sitting around the table discussing life. One man, a CEO, decided to explain the problem with education. He argued, "What's a kid going to learn from someone who decided his best option in life was to become a teacher?"

He reminded the other dinner guests what they say about teachers: "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach." To corroborate his point he said to another guest; "You're a teacher, Susan. Be honest. What do you make?"

Susan, who had a reputation for honesty and frankness, replied, "You want to know what I make? I make kids work harder than they ever thought they could. I make a C+ feel like the winner of the Congressional Medal of Honor. I make kids sit through 40 minutes of study hall in absolute silence."

"You want to know what I make? I make kids wonder. I make them question. I make them criticize. I make them apologize and mean it. I make them write. I make them read, read, read. I make them show all their work in math and perfect their final drafts in English."

"I make them understand that if you have the brains, and follow your heart, if someone ever tries to judge you by what you make, you must pay no attention because they just didn't learn."

"Susan paused and then continued, "You want to know what I make? I make a difference. What do you make?"

sinton66
05-27-2005, 09:04 PM
Put that in your pipe and smoke it, Mr. CEO.

(Dang I wish I could type).

bullfrog_alumni_02
05-27-2005, 10:15 PM
he had that on commin...

pakrat
05-27-2005, 10:50 PM
Some just make a lot of noise!!!!!!

CRHSeagle
05-27-2005, 11:09 PM
If it were up to me, teaching would be one of the highest paying jobs....that and of course coaching

ej2525
05-27-2005, 11:10 PM
God Bless that woman!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

AggieJohn
05-28-2005, 04:09 PM
that's good bull

lepfan
05-28-2005, 10:48 PM
I like the difference I make in my student's lives...but I am sure my bank account would like the difference a raise would make ;) . I don't get paid...I get an allowance.

AggieJohn
05-29-2005, 01:43 AM
yeah i hear ya lepfan, coming from a family of teachers....the best thing we have to make ourselves feel like we do something worth while is the success stories we get to talk about

Gilmer Buckeye
05-29-2005, 09:31 AM
The public schools were an experiment in democratizing America which failed.

That is not my opinion. It is, however, the opinion of the Republican Party's base voters, many of whom have abandoned the public schools for private and home schooling.

And since the Republican Party controls this state's politics (and its voting machines), this philosophy is coming to a school near you in the near future.

We are regressing into a feudal society of barons and serfs. The barons don't really care where the serfs go to school or even if they go to school; they just don't want to pay for them anymore.

Old Cardinal
05-29-2005, 11:31 AM
Well now that everyone has knocked the CEOs and industrial industrous people of America I shall again be the contrarian on the board. Those CEOs majored in hard specialized subjects. They actuate the Companies that build your skyscrapers, fuel your autos, make your toilet paper:clap: , light and heat and even build your homes. It takes a whole lot of different skills to make America great.
My brother and sister were both teachers with Masters Degrees. I went to work in industry at 19 years of age with 93 hours of college work as a Research Laboratory Technician and finished another 80 college hours later. We siblings choose what we wanted to do--that is the strength of America. Yes I made more money from the first day of employment but they chose their college courses just like I did.
I disagree in part with Ross Perot when he lost the teachers vote by saying that the way to solve the education crisis in the public schools is to "torch" all the teachers colleges. They could be better however. All of us are working to build a stronger America-- that give a hoot!
The only ones that are really parasites on the American system are the Lawyers of the USA.

Ranger Mom
05-29-2005, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Gilmer Buckeye
The public schools were an experiment in democratizing America which failed.

That is not my opinion. It is, however, the opinion of the Republican Party's base voters, many of whom have abandoned the public schools for private and home schooling.

And since the Republican Party controls this state's politics (and its voting machines), this philosophy is coming to a school near you in the near future.

We are regressing into a feudal society of barons and serfs. The barons don't really care where the serfs go to school or even if they go to school; they just don't want to pay for them anymore.

Let's not turn this into a political thread. I started the thread and have every right to delete it if I so chose.

I just thought it was a nice story and showed, IMO, that teachers are underpaid AND under appreciated!

lepfan
05-29-2005, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal
Well now that everyone has knocked the CEOs and industrial industrous people of America I shall again be the contrarian on the board. Those CEOs majored in hard specialized subjects. They actuate the Companies that build your skyscrapers, fuel your autos, make your toilet paper:clap: , light and heat and even build your homes. It takes a whole lot of different skills to make America great.
My brother and sister were both teachers with Masters Degrees. I went to work in industry at 19 years of age with 93 hours of college work as a Research Laboratory Technician and finished another 80 college hours later. We siblings choose what we wanted to do--that is the strength of America. Yes I made more money from the first day of employment but they chose their college courses just like I did.
I disagree in part with Ross Perot when he lost the teachers vote by saying that the way to solve the education crisis in the public schools is to "torch" all the teachers colleges. They could be better however. All of us are working to build a stronger America-- that give a hoot!
The only ones that are really parasites on the American system are the Lawyers of the USA.

Wow 19 and 93 hours of college work...

Gilmer Buckeye
05-29-2005, 02:57 PM
It is a political statement to say teachers are underpaid. It implies the taxpayers are stingy. So while I respect your moderation, you yourself did not abide by the apolitical philosophy.

Nevertheless, I get your point. As I said before, it is not my point of view. I am just telling you where this state is. Check your legislative session stories today. The attempt to give teachers a raise ended in failure. Everything blew up in their faces. Robin Hood is still in place. And that's bad news for Gilmer because we are now classified as a "rich" school.

44INAROW
05-29-2005, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Gilmer Buckeye
It is a political statement to say teachers are underpaid. It implies the taxpayers are stingy. So while I respect your moderation, you yourself did not abide by the apolitical philosophy.

Everything blew up in their faces. Robin Hood is still in place. And that's bad news for Gilmer because we are now classified as a "rich" school.

never mind, I won't stoop to that level.......

BHBrave08
05-29-2005, 03:20 PM
:flamingma Now wait Gilmer Buckeye. This state has been a strong Democratic state for many years. That includes when the education system was started. Now that it has finally changed hands over to then GOP, they are just continueing on paying teachers low because they can get away with it. But it wasn't there idea at the beginning. And no I don't like the way they are paid because my mother's a teacher. But I think that before it's going to get better it's gonna have to get worse.

Ranger Mom
05-29-2005, 09:00 PM
Okay...this thread is done!!

Evidently I am political and didn't even realize it!:rolleyes:

So...I guess I have to weigh each and every interesting story I find to make sure it doesn't step on anyones toes!!

GEEEEZ - Give me a BREAK:rolleyes: