View Full Version : Gun Toten' Cheerleaders

DawgMama
10-24-2003, 10:14 AM
Posted on Fri, Oct. 24, 2003

School rivalry becomes painful in the end
By Melody Mcdonald
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

High school rivalry

For decades, the football game between the Decatur Eagles and the Bridgeport Bulls has been a hotblooded high school rivalry.

This year, it also proved to be a real pain in the rear for one Bridgeport cheerleader.

Police said a Decatur cheerleader took school spirit to the extreme early last Friday when she shot a rival cheerleader in the derriere with a paintball gun as the Bridgeport teen toilet-papered a tree in front of Bridgeport High School.

The incident fired up residents in the neighboring towns, and the Bridgeport police chief wasn't exactly cheering about it, either.

"My officers, who were responding to a shooting at the high school, blew out a tire and a rim to get to the scene," Randy Singleton said. "This is getting out of hand."

Singleton said a few Decatur students were riding around Bridgeport in a pickup when they saw the Bridgeport cheerleaders.

An 18-year-old senior cheerleader in the pickup took aim with a paintball gun, leaving another 18-year-old senior cheerleader with a big red welt on her fanny, Singleton said.

Bridgeport Principal Tom Talley said, "I would think anything with that kind of compression has a chance to sting you pretty good, plus destroy some pretty good clothes."

When police arrived about 12:45 a.m., the Decatur crew, which consisted of 11 kids, including four cheerleaders and a volleyball player, had already split, officials said.

About an hour later, police stopped the pickup in front of the school, and the Decatur cheerleader took responsibility for what she had done.

Decatur Principal Melinda Reeves said that cheerleader and three others had to throw down their pompoms and sit out the Battle of the Big Sandy, the biggest game of the year.

"They were crying on Friday, and everyone was upset," Reeves said. "I don't know how much more severely we could have punished them."

To make matters worse for the Bulls, they lost to Decatur 35-14, and some Decatur students had painted cross hairs on their faces and held signs making fun of the injured cheerleader. Photographs of some of those students were published in the Wise County Messenger.

"That inflamed people over there," Singleton said.

Although the Decatur cheerleader could face a charge of assault with bodily injury, Singleton said he hopes both sides can settle things amicably.

The victim, he said, really wants one thing.

Just give her an A-P-O-L-O-G-Y.

The One
10-24-2003, 10:22 AM
Dawgmama,
I had heard about this and seen it on channel 5 news last night. What day was this in the star-telegram? I looked all through the paper and couldn't find it.

I for one love the rivalry, but this definatley has went a step too far. I think it was just two years ago that and actual fist fight broke out during the game between the teams cheerleaders. It seems their is alot of hostility between the cheerleading squads. Maybe we should be suiting them up on Friday nights!LOL!

DawgMama
10-24-2003, 10:30 AM
I found it on the Star Telegram's webpage, the date on the article is today's date. I agree with you, a good rivalry between schools is always fun, but this is too much! Maybe next year, they can set up a ring at half-time and let the cheerleaders have a tag team match. Cheerleading Wrestlemania I!

CatsDen
10-24-2003, 10:37 AM
That would draw a crowd! I think the whole thing is hilarious

The One
10-24-2003, 10:54 AM
Thanks Dawgmama, I found it it is actually the first article on the front page of todays Star-Telegram. This is definately funny to read about now, but the die hard reality of it is that those paint guns are lethal and sometimes deadly. If it hit someone in the right place it could seriously injure them or god forbid fatally wound them. No doubt the Decatur cheerleader had no intentions of doing that but you never know what responsibility your actions could have. This is definately out of hand and it will be interesting to see how the schools handle this to keep incidents like this from happening in the future.

Also a note: The pictures (Decatur students) that the Wise County Messenger placed in this weeks edition are very distasteful and a very poor decision on the editors part of putting them in the paper.

crzyjournalist03
10-24-2003, 10:55 AM
someone was an idiot for calling the police about a "shooting" when the student only had a paintball gun. They probably didn't even talk to the girl with the welt on her hiney to find out if she was OK. I've seen much worse things in school rivalries than catching someone TPing a school and leaving them with some paint and a welt on their drawers. I sure hope the girl doesn't get charged with assault. I'm sure that if she'd known it would cause this much of a commotion, she would have never done it.

District303aPastPlayer
10-24-2003, 11:04 AM
did i read that wrong or does it say that the bridgeport girl was in TPing a tree in bridgeport, and decatur cheerleader hit her with the paintball then?

crzyjournalist03
10-24-2003, 11:06 AM
District303aPastPlayer:
did i read that wrong or does it say that the bridgeport girl was in TPing a tree in bridgeport, and decatur cheerleader hit her with the paintball then?ha...why was she TPing her own school? That varisty cheerleader must not have all the school spirit she seemed to have.

<small>[ October 24, 2003, 11:08 AM: Message edited by: crzyjournalist03 ]</small>

HornetMom
10-24-2003, 11:11 AM
I don't exactly find shooting someone with a paintgun as funny. Depending on distance, they can cause injury, especially without proper gear. What if that girl turned around in time to get it in the face?
And to the principal of Decatur; suspending the girls from the cheerleading squad would make a stronger statement. In my opinion this kind of behavior is unacceptable and should be dealt with so not only these girls learn, but the rest of the student body does too.

jason
10-24-2003, 11:11 AM
thats kind of serious...BUT

ROTFLMAO

CatsDen
10-24-2003, 11:12 AM
I was wondering the same thing

crzyjournalist03
10-24-2003, 11:23 AM
you know, the more I read this, the more fishy it becomes.

Why would a cheerleader just happen to have a paintball gun on her?

How in the world could she have such good aim as to nail her from a truck driving down the road?

How does the "Decatur crew" go from a few people in a pickup to 11?

What were these kids doing out at 12:45 on a schoolnight anyway?

If the group "split" before police arrived, how stupid were they to get caught in the HS parking lot an HOUR later????

I'm beginning to think there may be more to the story than we're being told...

DawgMama
10-24-2003, 11:31 AM
crzyjournalist03:
I'm beginning to think there may be more to the story than we're being told...Isn't there always?

spiveyrat
10-24-2003, 11:39 AM
HornetMom:
What if that girl turned around in time to get it in the face?
I'm not attacking anyone here, just playing devil's advocate... What if the "shootee" hadn't been there in the first place?

CatsDen
10-24-2003, 11:43 AM
"What if that girl turned around in time to get it in the face?"

She was hit in the butt, right?

Lighten up! We could all get seriously injured at any time by any number of "accidents"....this is funny stuff! It's a paintball at a distance (I'm guessing since she was hit from a truck). I do agree that the story just doesn't add up. Why was she TP'ing her own school? It really doesn't matter. This was just rivalry and pranks, nothing more.
The morning before the Everman game, purple and gold crosses were found around the field house in Kennedale. Each cross had a Kennedale player's name and number painted on it. Doesn't this kind of stuff go on with all rivalry games?
Relax.

HornetMom
10-24-2003, 11:49 AM
spiveyrat:

HornetMom:
What if that girl turned around in time to get it in the face?
I'm not attacking anyone here, just playing devil's advocate... What if the "shootee" hadn't been there in the first place?Good point. Seems to me that alot of kids should have thought twice about what they were going to do that night.
To crazyjournalist, I think the intention was to shoot something with that paintgun. Unfortunately it was another person.

<small>[ October 24, 2003, 12:05 PM: Message edited by: HornetMom ]</small>

District303aPastPlayer
10-24-2003, 11:49 AM
i find it wierd that:
a) she was toilet papering her own HS
b) they were out past 12am on a school night
c) the girl had a paintball gun
d) why there was only one truck, but 11 people
e) the police were called
f) why it was reported as a shooting
g) how you can defend the girl toilet papering the high school

that is all for now

CatsDen
10-24-2003, 11:53 AM
All good points District303... 11 kids in one truck?! Wow! That's an accomplishment!

Chief Woodman
10-24-2003, 12:00 PM
I am from Decatur and for one am ashamed of the whole incident. What were those 11 thinking? Maybe thats just it...they were not thinking, but that does not mean they are not responsible for thier actions. The cheerleader who was shot does deserve an apology, just like several B'port football players and cheerleaders were forced to give an apology at DHS when cursing and intimidating these same girls earlier the same evening. Each act was nothing but low class.

As far as charges go, I have always been a proponent of not leting an individual who was assulted decide if to file charges, but the Government should be the deciding entity. (Apply this logic to the endless cycle of domestic abuse)After all the charges read in court say ..."the State of Texas VS......" Not john doe vs ...... an intro like that is for civil cases, not criminal cases. Let a jury decide guilty or not guilty.
The offending individual is not being done a favor by not pressing charges. All they learn from it is...mommy and daddy can get me out of trouble. Too many today are in our prisons because when something like this happens, it gets swept away rather than dealing with it. Then they just keep doing more and more serious things until someone really gets injured or killed. :mad: :mad: :mad:

<small>[ October 24, 2003, 12:01 PM: Message edited by: Chief Woodman ]</small>

HornetMom
10-24-2003, 12:02 PM
CatsDen:
"What if that girl turned around in time to get it in the face?"

She was hit in the butt, right?

Lighten up! We could all get seriously injured at any time by any number of "accidents"....this is funny stuff! It's a paintball at a distance (I'm guessing since she was hit from a truck). I do agree that the story just doesn't add up. Why was she TP'ing her own school? It really doesn't matter. This was just rivalry and pranks, nothing more.
The morning before the Everman game, purple and gold crosses were found around the field house in Kennedale. Each cross had a Kennedale player's name and number painted on it. Doesn't this kind of stuff go on with all rivalry games?
Relax.Yes, this stuff does go on all the time. But we are talking about one student shooting another, whether it be a paintgun or not. It doesn't say the girl shot from a moving pickup on the road. At our school, the driveway is along the school within about 20 ft of some of the buildings and several trees.
I agree that there is more to this story than meets the eye..
I can tell you that if it had been my daughter, she would have had alot more to worry about than what the school was going to do. (and that includes the ones TPing the school)

HornetMom
10-24-2003, 12:09 PM
Don't get me wrong, I am not defending the girl for TPing her own school, only for being hit with a paintball.
We had some of our kids TP our school last year (for homecoming, I think). Go figure.

crzyjournalist03
10-24-2003, 12:15 PM
HornetMom:
Don't get me wrong, I am not defending the girl for TPing her own school, only for being hit with a paintball.
We had some of our kids TP our school last year (for homecoming, I think). Go figure.I think we all understand what you're saying. I think this is probably just one of those subjects that people are not going to see eye to eye on what the results of the incident should be. If it were my daughter that shot the gun, she'd have more problems to worry about than the law, but at the same time, I do think there's a huge difference between a paintball gun and a real gun.

Mad Dawg 20/20
10-24-2003, 12:16 PM
I know I should be shocked and stunned, but dang I can't stop laughing!!
I'm sorry if thats wrong, I don't mean to offend.

BLEEDING PURPLE & GOLD

HornetMom
10-24-2003, 12:18 PM
crzyjournalist03:

HornetMom:
We had some of our kids TP our school last year (for homecoming, I think). Go figure.I think we all understand what you're saying. I think this is probably just one of those subjects that people are not going to see eye to eye on what the results of the incident should be. If it were my daughter that shot the gun, she'd have more problems to worry about than the law, but at the same time, I do think there's a huge difference between a paintball gun and a real gun.Your right, everyone will not see eye to eye. So I'll move on, like to the Marlin/Caldwell game tonight.

repeat2002
10-24-2003, 12:40 PM
I wish I could say I was from Decatur or B'port - this is some hillarious stuff - the article is a hoot - C Woodman, don't be ashamed. So someone got hit in the 'fanny'. Relax!!!! - if the worst thing you have to worry about our kids is that they shot someone in the butt with a paintball, we've got it made. I doubt any of this was intentional. Hornet Mom - the principal said she couldn't have thought of anything that could have been any worse punishment - LOL Maybe they should send them to B'port to lead their pep rally today A-P-O-L-O-G-Y--LOL!!!!!!

Chief Woodman
10-24-2003, 12:54 PM
Repeat..I respectfully disagree. These same cheerleaders had been involved at a previous incident at DHS the same evening. Decatur police gave the offenders the choice of apologizing or facing the consequenses. To thier credit, they chose to apologize.
So if someone had to apologize to you for an action, and then you turn around and do someting one notch worse, what does that say about your character? Yes I am ashamed for them and for my community.
If it were my daughter who did the shooting, her cheerleading days would be over. If my girl was the one who was shot, her tail would be hurting even more for even being there. As my dad use to say...there is no reason for a teenager to be out after 10 PM on a school night. If they are out then, they must be looking for trouble. Looks like these folks found it.

PAINTBALL
10-24-2003, 01:00 PM
This is a girl after my own heart. If she gets in too much trouble, she can move into our home. She would fit in just fine.

Chief Woodman
10-24-2003, 01:03 PM
I get it ...Paintball, right? LOL

repeat2002
10-24-2003, 01:50 PM
Sorry Chief - I respectfully diagree - but we can just agree to disagree - I know this though, if I was playing football in Decatur or B'port I would love it - to be 17, playing football and having women defending your school and taking one in the butt for the team - what a hoot!!!!!!!!!!

Chief Woodman
10-24-2003, 01:56 PM
Thats cool. But your perspective may change when you are the parent of teenagers.

Roll'em up
10-24-2003, 02:06 PM
repeat2002 I am with you. I thought the article was hilarious also. Boy, doesn't it make the folks of these two towns sound like a bunch of hillbilly hicks. It must have really been a slow day for news in order for this to find itself on the front page of the Star-Telegram and on TV.

The fact is that these sort of antics have been going on between rivals for years and years. Why was the girl TPing the school? So Decatur could be blamed for it to add some fuel to the fire Friday night. I do believe the Decatur girl shouldn't have shot a paintball gun at anyone due to the possble dangers, but kids will be kids. Sometimes they will make good decisions and sometimes they will not. It's all a learning process in growing up. I am sure all of your 16 and 17 year old kids always makes the right decision..LOL.

Finally, I do believe that the punishment handed down was minimal. Frankly, I think the cheerleading sponsor should kick the girl off of the team for the embarrassment she has caused the squad and community.

repeat2002
10-24-2003, 02:18 PM
Chief - I've got kids, teenagers in fact and they're great kids - good grades - good athletes - all of those things - but they are kids and they will do sometimes questionable things - it was all for fun - I'm sure you never did anything as mischevious in your adolesent years - if you didn't, you missed out - high school pranks are some of the best things I remember about high school

punish them if you think that's what they need, but remember most of you have some of these skeletons in your closets

lumberjacks
10-24-2003, 02:27 PM
Chief, I agree with you. My problem is the punishment. I am appalled at the Quote "i punished her as severe as I thought by making her sit out the big game." What a joke! Decatur's rules of punishment depend on what sport is going on, how important you are to that sport, and who you are. That is a sad thing to say but it is so true. If I need I can go back five years. As far as repeat goes Chief, he does have teenagers.

cant stop me
10-24-2003, 02:50 PM
thats funny

Chief Woodman
10-24-2003, 03:30 PM
repeat2002:
Sorry Chief - I respectfully diagree - but we can just agree to disagree - I know this though, if I was playing football in Decatur or B'port I would love it - to be 17, playing football and having women defending your school and taking one in the butt for the team - what a hoot!!!!!!!!!!I did not mean any disrespect in saying your perspective might change if you had teenagers. You had also said none of this was intentional. What really bothers me is...no matter what you orI think...what happened was a crime, not just a prank. How severe the punishment should be is really the area for a jury. I am a little astonished that any parent who would try to say its just kids being kids. It was intentional. The paintgun did not get there by itself, did not aim itself and did not pull its own trigger. That is the same arguement the anti-gun folks use saying it is the guns fault. The person who picked it up, aimed it and squezed the trigger ment to do what they did. I am not buying..."I ment to shoot in the air". Yes the punishment in my opinion should be more severe.

<small>[ October 24, 2003, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: Chief Woodman ]</small>

cubs
10-24-2003, 05:10 PM
Lumberjacks - you are so right - punishment depends on the sport - why would she get suspended from the squad - cheerleader in '01 slapped an opposing team's cheerleader and all they did was write a letter of apology. Funny how zero tolerance applies only to some things, isn't it?

lumberjacks
10-24-2003, 11:55 PM
What I said is not a knock on our coaches because when it comes down to it the punishment is handled by our award winning principal. It's incidents like this that really makes us look like a "National Blue Ribbon School". It's amazing what sweeping things under the rug can do for people.

slpybear the bullfan
10-25-2003, 12:32 AM
I tell you what is pathetic...

There are a lot of young girls involved in this from Decatur and Bridgeport High Schools. They made some very, very poor decisions... but at least we can say that they are still maturing and learning lessons.

The same cannot be said for the idiots at the Wise County Messenger or the idiots who called and "tipped" the Star Telegram and NBC5 News. Thanks you bunch of morons. Your juvenile ideas of journalism, revenge, and sportsmanship do nothing but make these two towns sound like Hillbillys... And we aren't.

And I think it speaks for itself that the Star Telegram leads with this story on the Front Page. Umm... your telling me that this is it?

Sheesh...

cubs
10-25-2003, 09:43 AM
Lumberjacks - I knew exactly who you meant and there are many other incidents this "award winning principal" has handled in an inconsistent manner - all the Blue Ribbon business looks great on the outside, but ya can't judge a package by its wrapping. Incidents are much too numerous to name here!