PDA

View Full Version : Scarborough pitches at practice

AggieJohn
05-27-2005, 12:40 AM
May 26, 2005
Things look back to normal for the Texas A&M softball team.

Amanda Scarborough, who hasn’t played since the regular-season finale because of a concussion, pitched live batting practice Wednesday for the first time since taking a line drive off the side of her head.

Late in Wednesday’s practice a Scarborough riseball nailed Jamie Hinshaw on the batting helmet, as she hit the ground trying to avoid it.

The gritty Hinshaw got up smiling as everyone asked her if she was all right.

“ That’s what the batting helmet is for,” Hinshaw said.

Scarborough wore a sheepish smile as she kept saying, “I’m so sorry,” over and over.

She still didn’t give Hinshaw anything good to hit. Later, Scarborough went over and gave her third baseman a hug.

All the players and coaches were smiling, despite the unbearable heat.

They had good reason to be happy. Scarborough and Sharonda McDonald, who missed the Big 12 Tournament and the Softball Regional No. 5 at College Station, were back sweating with their buddies.

McDonald, who tore the anterior cruciate ligament in her left knee on May 1 against Missouri, took her hacks against Scarborough and Megan Gibson. But more importantly, she ran to first base.

“ Do you want to know you’re time?” A&M head coach Jo Evans asked after McDonald bunted and sprinted to first.

Evans’ smile said it all. McDonald needed 2.6 seconds to reach first.

“ Sharonda didn’t tear no ACL,” smirked several of her teammates.

McDonald said her toughest thing is the mental part of the recovery. The knee might slip, but it won’t be painful, because she can’t damage it any more.

Her rehabilitation has been inspiring to her teammates, and even to herself.

“ It just blows my mind,” she said. “God’s done some amazing things in my life and really blessed me. I attribute it all to him. There’s no way I get this done without him.

McDonald was able to pinch run against Penn State in the regional championship, while Scarborough didn’t do anything in practice until Monday.

“ I’m getting more strength every day,” Scarborough said. “And, I’m getting more used to the heat, because it is so hot out there.”

Scarborough said she felt rusty, but expected that.

“ But not as much as I thought it was going to be,” she added. “Because I came in and I was kinda a pessimist about the whole situation, and I didn’t think I’d do as well. I didn’t feel I’m doing that bad, but I’m not back to my normal self yet.”

A&M is getting a special helmet for Scarborough, which will have a wire mask in the front.

She pitched with a batting helmet Wednesday. A&M cut a hole in the top of the helmet for ventilation.

It must have worked, because Scarborough seemed to get better with each hitter.

“ Way to go No. 9. Great pitch Amanda,” were shouted by her teammates after each pitch.

When those teammates had to bat, their bats didn’t do much talking.

Evans said Scarborough has made great strides, but this is still a rush job. She’s missed two weeks at the height of the season.

“ [And] pitching with a helmet is going to be a little bit different,” Evans said. “She’s going to have to get used to that.”

Scarborough and McDonald said they’ll play in the best-of-3 super regional, which starts Friday.

Evans, however, won’t determine their status until game time.

She wants to see them in another practice, and how they are a day afterward. Remember, Evans suffered a concussion that sidelined her for almost two months. She’s going to be 100 percent sure.

But having the players just back at practice has been rewarding.

“ That they’re going to experience super regionals with us is just huge,” said senior shortstop Adrian Gregory. “It gives us a lot of confidence. We have all our people. So it will be exciting.”

Phil C
05-27-2005, 02:58 PM
Good News indeed! The Lady Aggies will be a much better team with her back on the mound.

AggieJohn
05-27-2005, 06:43 PM
t-minus fifteen minutes till game time