PDA

View Full Version : Columbia vs Needville SB

18handicap
05-27-2005, 12:01 AM
Columbia 7, Needville 3

Congratulations to the Lady Necks on their first state tournament appearance.

scrub c
05-27-2005, 12:35 AM
WOW !

Congratulations LADY NECKS! ! !

state bound Lady Necks I might add!

softball_mom
05-27-2005, 01:49 AM
Lady Necks.....way to take it to the NECKS level!!!! Good luck at STATE!!!!!!!!

Old Green
05-27-2005, 05:09 AM
Congrats Necks!!!:clap:

mojoman
05-27-2005, 08:29 AM
Three years in a row the same district has rule region 4 softball. Last year's champs thumped region 3 in the semis. I have seen Columbia. Speed and great pitching equal wins. Good Luck at State!

raider red 2000
05-27-2005, 08:31 AM
good job girls and coaches.....way to represent the district well.

good luck in austin

pirate4state
05-27-2005, 08:44 AM
Congrats to the Lady Necks!! :thumbsup: Rooting for REGION IV!! :cheerl:

Good Luck at State. :)

Oh and congrats to the Lady Jays on an awesome season! :clap:

Necked
05-27-2005, 10:34 AM
Wow, with all the freshmen they have playing, we may have just witnessed the birth of a state powerhouse!
Extra kudos to Cami for finding the strength to pitch in this heat with a fever! My guess is she's feeling much better today :D

Columbia earns state berth

By Anthony Maenza
The Facts

Published May 27, 2005

WEIMAR — Never give up hope.

The Columbia Lady Roughnecks didn’t, and it earned them a trip to the UIL state softball championships.

The Lady Roughnecks came back from a 3-1 deficit to beat District 25-3A rival Needville, 7-3, in the Region IV finals Thursday at Ladycat Field.

It will be the first trip for Columbia to the state tournament.

“We talked about this since the first day of practice,” Columbia coach Shelly Murphy said. “I told them there was no reason why we couldn’t do it. We worked hard every day and never gave up.”

Columbia trailed 3-1 going into the bottom of the fifth inning. That’s when the Lady ’Necks erupted for three runs to take the lead.

Valecia Broussard doubled to lead off the inning. Lindsay Cason followed with a bunt. The throw to try and get Cason at first got past Needville first baseman Shelley Rusher to allow Broussard to score from second base and cut Needville’s lead to 3-2.

Columbia got runners to second and third with nobody out, but Needville got Cason at the plate when she tried to score on a squeeze bunt. Needville then coaxed a popup to get the second out of the inning.

Columbia first baseman Kiara Bonner muscled a bloop hit over second base to score Catherine Rodriguez and Jessica Garcia to give the Lady Roughnecks the lead.

“I was up there just trying to get the runners home,” Bonner said.

Murphy said Needville wasn’t sure how to defend Bonner when she came to the plate.

Bonner had scored the first run for Columbia in the fourth inning when she had an infield hit, stole second and came home on a Needville throwing error.

“Kiara can do so many things,” Murphy said. “The outfielders played back on her and she was able to bloop it in.”

Once Columbia got the lead, freshman hurler Cami Newsome was able to shut down Needville’s lineup.

Playing with a fever, Newsome gutted it out and was able to keep Needville off the scoreboard in the final two innings.

“The first couple of innings, I wasn’t feeling too good,” Newsome said. “Once our hitters started coming around, I got back up again.”

Columbia added three insurance runs in the sixth inning. Walks to Rebecca Schaubroeck and Broussard, and a bunt single by Cason loaded the bases. A single by Rodriguez and walks to Garcia and Newsom got the runs home.

Murphy said she expects to find out information for Columbia’s state semifinal matchup Sunday. That game likely will be played Thursday.

registered
05-27-2005, 12:33 PM
Looks like Columbia had everyone's number this year except one school.......the last school they lost to - The Sweeny Lady Bulldogs by a score of 9-0.

RiverRatDad
05-27-2005, 01:09 PM
Congrats to the Lady Necks. This makes 3 years in a row that our district has represented region IV. Good luck in Austin!

Necked
05-27-2005, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by registered
Looks like Columbia had everyone's number this year except one school.......the last school they lost to - The Sweeny Lady Bulldogs by a score of 9-0.

Hmmmm....If Sweeny fans keep bringing that game up, folks might get the impression Sweeny is our bitter rival or something! :D

scrub c
05-27-2005, 10:50 PM
yeah, really!

here is a stat for all to chew on. . .

thru district and the playoffs Columbia has scored 99 runs and given up a total of 24 runs ...

of those 24 against, 14 of them were to Sweeny. WOW

18handicap
05-27-2005, 11:49 PM
Maybe that was the "game that they needed to get out of their system." I think we have all said that about a game in which we looked bad and it woke us up and we played with a mission after that. Good luck in Austin...