PDA

View Full Version : Town slogans / mascots that don't work

18handicap
05-26-2005, 09:50 AM
It's funny to see how many towns have slogans on a sign as you enter the city limits and wonder if the slogans are for real. Also, it's funny to see some school mascots that don't fit the school anymore...(ex. Lewisville HS Farmers -- bet there's not a farm within 20 miles of that school now!!lol)

Here's a town slogan........"Needville, The home of Friendly People." I know everytime we play that town, I'm chewed out and cursed during the entire game. I wonder if they are that friendly, what happens when they get mad.....(I can say this because my family is from there!)

Do you have some slogans that don't fit???

District303aPastPlayer
05-26-2005, 09:54 AM
Taft is known as the friendliest cotton pickin town texas...

but i wonder what the Robstown Cotton Pickers have to say about that :D

HighSchool Fan
05-26-2005, 10:08 AM
it's the Lewisvlle Fighting Farmers

Phil C
05-26-2005, 10:20 AM
There are several schools that have the mascot Pirates that are a long distrance from the Coast or Water. One is Lubbock Cooper Pirates. I know that it is justified in some cases because Pirates were known to dock and hide their stolen goods miles from the coast but Lubbock is in North West Texas close to the Panhandle. Of course maybe it is close to a river and it could be reference to river pirates. Oh well. It still seems a long ways when you think of Pirates as being mainly in the Oceans or Seas or Gulfs and maybe even Bays.

mwynn05
05-26-2005, 10:33 AM
The pirates took Walt!!!!

pirate4state
05-26-2005, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by mwynn05

They sure did!! :eek: I was freaking out the whole time. :smoker:

KTJ
05-26-2005, 10:57 AM
Well seeing as how Lewisville's mascot was selected, and fit their town perfectly, almost 100 years ago, I'd say it's a pretty cool mascot. People from all over talk about that water tower right on 35W.

Of course it doesn't fit them now. That place is pure suburbia.

What sucks is that Lewisville grew so fast, all the athletes got shipped to other schools and are spread out. So they will probably never get another State Championship--the same can be said for Flower Mound Marcus.

HighSchool Fan
05-26-2005, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by KTJ
Well seeing as how Lewisville's mascot was selected, and fit their town perfectly, almost 100 years ago, I'd say it's a pretty cool mascot. People from all over talk about that water tower right on 35W.

Of course it doesn't fit them now. That place is pure suburbia.

What sucks is that Lewisville grew so fast, all the athletes got shipped to other schools and are spread out. So they will probably never get another State Championship--the same can be said for Flower Mound Marcus.

i lived in lewisville 20 years ago, the fighting farmers still fit then.

LH Panther Mom
05-26-2005, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
Of course maybe it is close to a river and it could be reference to river pirates. Oh well.

No rivers are even close to Lubbock. Maybe the Lubbock Cooper Dust Devils would be better. ;)

Gobbla2001
05-26-2005, 12:17 PM
when you're driving into Shiner coming from Yoakum, there's a sign that says 'Welcome to Shiner, the cleanest little city in the world' or something to that effect...

Then about 200 yards down on the left side of the road is a big heap of scrap metal, wood and all sorts of other 'not so clean' things...

I remember the first time I noticed that, me and the guys I was with just busted out laughing...

In defense of Shiner, though, the rest of the town is pretty clean...

NSUTrumpet08
05-26-2005, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by mwynn05

Dude...Lost keeps producing more questions that answers...what a season finale!! Can't wait till fall!

AggieJohn
05-27-2005, 12:41 AM
let's just put it this way i have never seen a panther in liberty, texas............however a gnat on the other hand

mwynn05
05-27-2005, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by NSUTrumpet08
Dude...Lost keeps producing more questions that answers...what a season finale!! Can't wait till fall! No, Joke!