PDA

View Full Version : "24" Goes Out With A Bang!!!!

ILS1
05-24-2005, 08:02 PM
Home > TV Blog

‘24’ goes out with a big bang!
By Diane Holloway | Tuesday, May 24, 2005, 10:17 AM

There are now claw marks — actual human fingernail scratches — on my beloved leather couch, and it’s all Jack Bauer’s fault.

Last night’s “24” finale was a breathless romp through crisis after crisis, with one life-threatening disaster after the next rolling out over the two-hour episode.

Initially I worried about the show’s ability to maintain that kind of white-knuckle suspense for two hours. But I worried needlessly.

In the 5 to 6 a.m. hour, Tony, held captive by the icy-veined Mandy, is blown up in a suicide bombing set off by Mandy. Michelle has a tearful meltdown back at CTU. Ever-vigilant Jack replays video of the explosion until he figures out that Tony and Mandy weren’t actually in the car.

Tony leaves a trail of blood so Jack can find him, which, of course, Jack does. One crisis averted. Michelle stops crying.

With an immunity agreement in her skin-tight pocket, Mandy tells Jack where to find Marwan. The info proves true, and Jack corners Marwan atop a building. But the wily terrorist wriggles free and falls to his blood-splattered death.

Meanwhile, a nuclear missile is zooming somewhere over the United States, heading toward an unknown target. Marwan is now unavailable to reveal the doomed city in question. All seems lost.

Vice President Logan continues to twitch and battle hysterics, while former President Palmer takes charge. But Palmer’s attempt to handle the Chinese crisis — remember, the consul was killed during Jack’s kidnapping of a Chinese official who had knowledge of Marwan — fails when a CTU agent confesses and names Jack as the mission’s leader.

As expected, the wizards at CTU find a way to intercept the nuke, which is headed toward Los Angeles. Crisis averted. Cheers erupt.

But political geniuses decide the only way to placate the furious Chinese is to turn Jack over to them. A maverick secret service chief decides it would be best to kill Jack before he falls into enemy hands in order to ensure his silence about White House complicity.

In the ensuing melee, Jack is shot, sprawled on the CTU floor with not a single heartbeat. Audrey, who has already lost her estranged husband in this 24-hour nightmare, now loses her estranged lover, Jack. Tears flow once more.

But wait. After the secret service guy leaves, a needle is plunged into Jack’s chest and he comes back to life. Dead but not dead. The conceit of “24” is that anything is possible.

The claw marks on my couch are now grotesque. We’re dog people, but it looks as if a herd of cats has attacked our furniture. I’m embarrassed … and exhausted.

But what a fantastic finale for one of my very favorite shows. With Jack now officially but not really dead, we have to wait until January to find out how our hero will return to action.

How long can “24” keep up this pace and intrigue? That’s the big question. This past season was wonderful, the previous one not as good. I’m crossing my fingers (the very ones that caused all that clawing damage) that the writers can rise to the challenge again.

:)

"24" Daily Blog (www.austin360.com/calendar/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/tvblog/index.html)

Holmes_Fans
05-24-2005, 08:04 PM
I can't wait for the next 2 seasons

Old Dog
05-24-2005, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the update...........our VCR crashed and we didn't get it recorded. Now I at least know generally what took place!

Holmes_Fans
05-24-2005, 09:27 PM
Just download the episodes