PDA

View Full Version : women arrested with 2 children in trunk

CHS_CG
05-24-2005, 11:05 AM
NEWHALL, California (AP) -- A woman was arrested after the California Highway Patrol officer who pulled her car over found nine people crammed inside, including two children in the trunk.

"I have never heard of this," said Officer Wendy Hahn. "There was no room left in the car, so she puts two of the kids in the trunk. We're trying to get people to buckle up, and this is what we find."

Lavern Dunlap, 35, of Glendora, was pulled over about 8 p.m. Friday after another driver reported seeing a woman closing the trunk of her Toyota Corolla with two children inside as the vehicle sat parked on a shoulder.

Dunlap told the officer she was heading to her sister's house in Palmdale, about a 60-mile trip.

The officer discovered a 15-year-old boy and a 10-year-old girl in the trunk, four children in the back seat, an adult in the front passenger seat with a child on her lap and Dunlap behind the wheel. No one was wearing a seat belt, she said.

Dunlap was booked on suspicion of child cruelty and was released. She is scheduled to appear next month in court.

HighSchool Fan
05-24-2005, 11:09 AM
this is for the seasoned ones on here, how many of you either got in a trunk yourself or put someone else in a trunk to save money at a drive-inn?? i'be been in a trunk before.

CHS_CG
05-24-2005, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
this is for the seasoned ones on here, how many of you either got in a trunk yourself or put someone else in a trunk to save money at a drive-inn?? i'be been in a trunk before.

where we used to live in missiouri.. they would have dirt track races on friday nights.. my best friend and i have been in the bed of a truck to save money.. its a lil more open than a trunk.

pirate4state
05-24-2005, 11:41 AM
nope, never had to be put in a trunk! :eek:

big daddy russ
05-24-2005, 01:35 PM
There were some freshmen who really, really wanted a ride to DQ for lunch my senior year, so we threw them in our friend's trunk... and left them there once we got to DQ.:D

Don't worry, they were only in there for a few minutes... just long enough to scare them and never beg us for a ride again.

Ranger Mom
05-24-2005, 01:38 PM
When I would go to a drive in "back in the day"...it was almost a contest to see how many people you could actually cram in the trunk.

Almost like a "rite of passage"!!