PDA

View Full Version : The Man Purse

Bubba-Joe
05-24-2005, 09:09 AM
Purse-case scenario: End-of-year security leads to student's claim of discrimination

By Wendy Gragg

Killeen Daily Herald

John-Floyd Pardieu believes in equality — equality for man-purses.

The Ellison High School sophomore spent all Monday standing up for his olive green, canvas man-purse.

“If girls can carry bags, why shouldn’t guys?” he asked.

The personal receptacle in question is usually not a problem at the high school; Pardieu said he has carried it on and off throughout the year. It didn’t become an issue until Monday, when heightened security at the school prohibited any bookbags or backpacks inside the building.

But, Pardieu argued, his satchel isn’t a bookbag — it’s a man-purse.

“It’s not even large enough for books,” he said, brandishing his messenger-esque tote. He was given the option of leaving the bag in a bin, but declined.

After being barred from entry, the 15-year-old spent 30 to 45 minutes outside the school.

Eventually, Ellison administrators decided that, with a search of his man-purse, Pardieu could be admitted into the building as far as the library, to take tests he had lined up for the day. Pardieu said it was annoying to stay in the library all day, but it was a matter of principle.

“I could care less that I can’t carry my bag around; it’s the principle that I should be able to,” he said.

Pardieu’s mother, Rebecca Pardieu, has taken up her son’s cause.

“If they allow girls to take purses in, they should allow him to take his man-purse,” she said. “He needs his purse.”

Within the sturdy cloth walls of Pardieu’s man-purse are his cell phone, pens, pencils and camera bag — because his camera goes everywhere with him.

Rebecca Pardieu, employed at Fairway Middle School, is no stranger to Killeen school district rules, including end-of-year security.

“I do know that school districts have the right to impose certain policies, but not discriminatory policies,” she said.

Rebecca Pardieu said some people told her she has taken the argument too far, but for her, it’s the other way around.

“I don’t see why they’re making such a big deal,” she said about the school’s firm man-purse stance.

Several calls to school district officials requesting comment on the district’s purse policy and security concerns were not returned Monday.

Pardieu has been told if he returns to school today, man-purse in tow, he will be sent to the library again. Pardieu said this decision came after an earlier threat of school suspension. But the sophomore won’t be satisfied until his accessory is subject to the same rules as a woman’s purse.

“Either way, it’s a lose/lose situation,” he said. “I should be able to take my bag in.”

pancho villa
05-24-2005, 09:28 AM
Gay!

Ranger Mom
05-24-2005, 09:33 AM
I don't know how I feel about the "wrong or right" of this...I do know I would have to kick my own sons butt if he started carrying a purse to school..or anywhere!!

I took a fanny pack to six flags one year with all of our money, sunscreen, etc in it. I tried to get one of the boys to carry it for me, but they weren't gonna be caught dead carrying a "faggy pack"!!

Bubba-Joe
05-24-2005, 09:39 AM
NOW mom
you aint that way are you
I KNEW YOU WAS A REPUBLICAN
No Liberal Ideology that close to Midland

HighSchool Fan
05-24-2005, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I don't know how I feel about the "wrong or right" of this...I do know I would have to kick my own sons butt if he started carrying a purse to school..or anywhere!!

I took a fanny pack to six flags one year with all of our money, sunscreen, etc in it. I tried to get one of the boys to carry it for me, but they weren't gonna be caught dead carrying a "faggy pack"!!

i'm secure enough in my manhood to wear a fanny pack, but ain't no way i'm gonna carry a purse.

pirate44
05-24-2005, 09:47 AM
the only purse i'll carry is the occasional time when my wife needs me to hold hers. and there are time limitations at that.

spiveyrat
05-24-2005, 09:59 AM
Just playing devils-advocate here: If backpacks are legal, shouldn't "man" purses also be legal?

Of course, I don't know if backpacks are illegal there... and I wouldn't be caught carrying a purse either!

SPF25
05-24-2005, 02:17 PM
IMO I dont think that man and purse should be in the same sentence. I would have a major problem if Jr EVER wanted to have a purse.

pirate44
05-24-2005, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by SPF25
IMO I dont think that man and purse should be in the same sentence. I would have a major problem if Jr EVER wanted to have a purse.
what about Sr. ? ;)

HighSchool Fan
05-24-2005, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
what about Sr. ? ;)

i think that shock has already worn off :D

pirate44
05-24-2005, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
i think that shock has already worn off :D
i thought maybe a nice black leather one with a harley logo and fringe..what do ya think? :D

HighSchool Fan
05-24-2005, 02:51 PM
i thought maybe a nice black leather one with a harley logo and fringe..what do ya think? :D

is this close enough

http://jafrum.com/images/ac2008.jpg

pirate44
05-24-2005, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
is this close enough

http://jafrum.com/images/ac2008.jpg
:eek: i change my mind. carrying a purse is pretty sissy-fied

pirate4state
05-24-2005, 03:05 PM
How stupid!! :mad:

Here is a site on the "man bag" (http://ganley.org/bags/bags.html)

I don't know why this is such a huge issue. :rolleyes:

LH Panther Mom
05-24-2005, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
How stupid!! :mad:

Here is a site on the "man bag" (http://ganley.org/bags/bags.html)

I don't know why this is such a huge issue. :rolleyes:

What a doofus! Someone needs to set him straight. It's not a "man bag". It's a "murse". :D

District303aPastPlayer
05-24-2005, 03:26 PM
i think its wrong to not allow him to carry it. Let him... its the same as a backpack.

SPF25
05-24-2005, 03:37 PM

NEVER

SPF25
05-24-2005, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
What a doofus! Someone needs to set him straight. It's not a "man bag". It's a "murse". :D

ROFLMAO:clap: :clap: :clap: