PDA

View Full Version : Northwestern wins National Championship

Phil C
05-23-2005, 10:23 AM
in the NCAA Women's Lacrosse by defeating Virginia 13 to 10. This was Northwestern's first national championship in this sport.

BTEXDAD
05-23-2005, 11:05 AM
I heard Virginia missed a late field goal that would have sent game into overtime, is that correct Phil?

Phil C
05-23-2005, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by BTEXDAD
I heard Virginia missed a late field goal that would have sent game into overtime, is that correct Phil?

Actually I think that happened in the first half with Northwestern ahead 8 to 7 Virginia hit a goal right at the end of the first half but the refs ruled the half was over before they got the goal and thus Northwestern preserved their one point halftime lead.

Virginia had won the national championship the year before.

District303aPastPlayer
05-23-2005, 11:22 AM
actually, this was their first national title in any sport... PERIOD.

Phil C
05-23-2005, 11:22 AM
Last second goals and non-goals can hurt. I know the UT women's soccer team beat West Virginia last year by a score of 2 to 1 in the playoffs last year. West Virginia got off a kick in the last second that would have tied the game and sent it into overtime but it hit the cross bar and bounced back on the field. A West Virginia player then hit the ball over the goal but time had expired.

Phil C
05-23-2005, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
actually, this was their first national title in any sport... PERIOD.

I think you are right there District but they have won the National Championship in Debate. :)

District303aPastPlayer
05-23-2005, 11:40 AM
espn said it was their first national title in any sport

BTEXDAD
05-23-2005, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Actually I think that happened in the first half with Northwestern ahead 8 to 7 Virginia hit a goal right at the end of the first half but the refs ruled the half was over before they got the goal and thus Northwestern preserved their one point halftime lead.

Virginia had won the national championship the year before.

I was actually making a joke, Phil, about the late field goal sending to overtime as in Vinateri or somebody like that missing football field goal.
I'm not familiar with lacrosse rules. Isn't it like one pt for goal if it's close and extra point(s) if goal is scored from further distance out?
If i'm gonna make comment about lacrosse, I might as well get some knowledge also, and I'm sure you can help, Phil.

BTEXDAD
05-23-2005, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
espn said it was their first national title in any sport

debate can be a sport I guess, depending on what's being debated and how adamantly it's being debated.