PDA

View Full Version : Vipers going high tech to learn different formations (Article)

Gobbla2001
05-22-2005, 10:16 PM
(this would be Victoria Memorial)

May 22, 2005
COY SLAVIK
Advocate Sports Editor

Memorial head coach Jerry Campbell figured if his players were going to be playing video games, they may as well play something to help the Vipers' football team.

So Campbell worked with Play Manager out of Vancouver, Canada, and, with the help of assistant coach Clint Hormann, put together a Web site that includes the entire Memorial playbook. Vipers players can log on and watch animation of each of their plays against opponents' offenses and defenses.

"We know that kids get on the computer all the time. It's a visual world we live in," Hormann said. "It's easy for coaches to draw plays on the chalkboard. But now the players can actually see the plays unfold before their eyes in full animation."

Memorial was the first high school in the country to provide the new innovation to its football players. Play Manager, one of the leading developers of software for coaches, focused mainly on hockey until Campbell suggested the company create software for football.

"Our computer lab at the school is getting pretty busy," Campbell said. "We have had a great response to it. Some players team up at another kid's house and they'll all go over the plays."

The Web site is also available to sub-varsity, middle school and Crossroads Youth Football League coaches and players. Each player and coach receives a username and password to enter the Web site's playbook.

"Some nights at 11 o'clock, I'll get a phone call from a kid asking me, 'Coach, what's the password again.' " Campbell said.

Campbell and Hormann said the Web site should help the Vipers be ahead of schedule by the time two-a-days begin in a few months.

"I think this allows the players to have a good understanding of what we do," Hormann said. "This also allows us to nit-pick a little bit more about some things."

Holmes_Fans
05-22-2005, 10:27 PM
It is gonna suck when someone's login is leaked to another team.

mwynn05
05-22-2005, 10:30 PM
It would be easy to hack.

CRHSeagle
05-22-2005, 11:59 PM
i dont think that should be a big deal because if you scout a team properly then you know what they run anyways. the only way it could hurt a team if the name of the plays were used during the games as audibles or something of that nature.

AggieJohn
05-23-2005, 12:28 AM
yeah it's not like a playbook is really secret anymore

robbo93
05-23-2005, 05:40 AM
Good idea, this should keep the mistakes down during the season.

pirate44
05-23-2005, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by mwynn05
It would be easy to hack.
how?? i wanna know.

espn1
05-23-2005, 08:28 AM
Brilliant Idea!:clap: :clap: :clap:

scrub c
05-23-2005, 10:03 AM
surely you jest?

Gobbla2001
05-23-2005, 12:26 PM
It's just an easier way to learn the plays... Why hack and pay with time in prison when you can buy gas and a ticket to one of their games?