PDA

View Full Version : PLAYOFF POLL (Corrected)

18handicap
05-22-2005, 11:26 AM
Right now, the UIL allows coaches the flexibility of playing a single game playoff or a 2 out of 3 series in all playoff rounds until the state tournament. The UIL does restrict teams in a 2 out of 3 series in SOFTBALL ONLY to playing on Friday and Saturday ONLY. Baseball doesn't have this restrict except for a team cannot leave during the school day (excluding athletic period) for any game played before Friday.

Phil C
05-22-2005, 11:38 AM
This is one I am going to have to think on. I kind of lean toward just having a one game series but if they leave it on I would want it to be on any consecutive days and not limit it to just Friday and Saturday because of possible weather problems. I will have to ponder a little more.

HighSchool Fan
05-22-2005, 11:48 AM
you need to add another option. the one that says you play the games until Old Crow, i mean old cardinal is right in his predictions

LH Panther Mom
05-22-2005, 12:11 PM
It seems to me the girls should have the same option as the boys. Just my $.02.

18handicap
05-22-2005, 08:02 PM
ttt

Etexpirate
05-22-2005, 08:10 PM
I know that losing the toss and having to face playing 3 games affected our team in the last round of playoffs.. Our prom fell on that Saturday and no matter how hard you try..that does affect the girls. We also had to travel and stay in a motel which is draining on both people and resources. And by having one dominate pitcher, she was faced with the possibility of pitching 21 innings in less than 24 hours. It's great to be tough..but it should be a game of skill and talent...not survival of the fittest and the team with the most resources. One game would have been better for us. I'm sure I will be flamed for that.. I see the merit also of the 2 out of 3.. I just vote for the 1 game..

Holmes_Fans
05-22-2005, 08:13 PM
The better team wins in 3 games. The crappier team always wants to play 1 game because they figure they might win the first game but their chances of winning another are slim.

sicem74
05-22-2005, 08:51 PM
it really doesnt matter let em play!:o

neck_94
05-23-2005, 08:54 AM
get rid of the 2 out of 3.

show up with your "A-game", or go home.

thats the way it is thru the regular season and at the state tournament. . .

(and yeah, I know you play everybody in district TWICE!)

scrub c
05-23-2005, 09:02 AM
well in softball, the same girl can throw all day long every day until she is just flat wore out tired. So what difference does it make if they play one or three?
Do you want to go three just in case you get beat in game one?
I dont understand.

cdlvj
05-23-2005, 09:12 AM
Why not do a regional double elimination tournament?

Etexpirate
05-23-2005, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by scrub c
well in softball, the same girl can throw all day long every day until she is just flat wore out tired. So what difference does it make if they play one or three?
Do you want to go three just in case you get beat in game one?
I dont understand.
Sure she can! But what if 1 of the teams has two of those hoss's? Then the team with only one flamethrower is screwed pretty much. That's not playing your best game to win..that means as a coach you got lucky and have 2 top quality pitchers to access.. What are the odds of most programs having that? One game makes you as a coach bring your "A" game on that day! Choose your best nine and play ball..

18handicap
05-23-2005, 11:06 AM
I like the double elimination regional tournament. NCAA can do it in softball and baseball, why can't we...

Phil C
05-24-2005, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by 18handicap
I like the double elimination regional tournament. NCAA can do it in softball and baseball, why can't we...

I like it too but they may be afraid of weather conditions being unfavorable so I don't know if they would approve it.

Phil C
05-24-2005, 09:06 AM
I finally voted for 2 out 3 option which still has to be decided by a coin flip if one of the coaches wants a one game stand. Of course the fact that we have some good pitchers coming to high school plus we have a good one this year who is a freshman has something to do with the choice. :) Next year we won't be down to one good pitcher like we were against Pearsall and she will have someone who can do the job in game 2. We had a second good pitcher but due to an injury to our catcher she had to play catcher. Whitney, Kayla and Ashley and others are coming to high school!

GOFOR2
05-24-2005, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by 18handicap

uh-oh, does Handicap have the old hamster in his head spinning the wheel? that would be so cool to see a double elimination type tournament.
and tell Phil C to quit it with the weather thing.

18handicap
05-25-2005, 06:06 AM
Listed below is a proposal that the TGCA softball committee plans to vote on June 1, to send the TGCA Board of Directors on June 5 and send to the UIL on their meeting on June 11. SEND ME YOUR OPINIONS TO bhicks@mail.sweeny.isd.esc4.net

In softball post season play-offs the two schools involved may decide to play a single elimination or two-out-of-three from bi-district to the state tournament. If the schools play two-out-of-three elimination contests, theses games shall be played on Friday and Saturday. The restriction of allowing games on a two-out-of-three series to be played on only Friday and Saturday causes scheduling problems with schools trying to avoid interference with testing, proms, awards banquets, and graduation. The Texas Girls Coaches Association proposes to adopt the same play-off guidelines as used by baseball.

PROPOSAL:

Post Season Playoffs.

(1) Play-offs. Playoffs may be single elimination or two-out-of-three from bi-district to state. If neither method is mutually agreeable, a coin flip shall determine the play-off format.

(2) Two-out-of-Three Series. If schools play a two-out-of-three elimination series, the first (and only the first) game may be played prior to Friday, provided there is no loss of school time traveling to or participating in the game. Games 2 and/or 3 shall not be played until Friday. If one game is played and a second game cannot be played because of weather, then the winner of the one game advances to the next round. If two games are played (and split) and the third game cannot be played on Saturday because of weather conditions, the third and deciding game shall be played on Monday of the next week.

cdlvj
05-25-2005, 04:42 PM
You have 24 teams, can still do the bye's, and a variation could be that the 2nd/3rd teams (1st round) could be decided by 1 game series. One loss and you are out.

Then have 16 teams left perfect for a double elimination tourney.

The state playoff could be the region winners or make it 8 with winners and runner-ups.

cdlvj
05-26-2005, 08:17 AM
Applying region III, under double elimination La Grange and Rockdale would be meeting in winners bracket. This would be the 4th game for both teams.

Under current format, La Grange has played 8 games, with possibility of 11 games. Rockdale 5 possible 8.

With double elimination, the winner would advance to state, and the loser would play the winner of the losers bracket. The winner of this game would advance to state as runner-up.

Now you would have 8 teams in the state double elimination. And seeded that the 2 teams from the region would not face each other in the 1st 2 games of 8 game double elimination state tournament. This would have the championship game.

Phil C
05-26-2005, 08:26 AM
I can go along with that. You have to remember that sometimes weather can be a factor so it is good they are taking that into consideration.

GOFOR2
05-26-2005, 08:26 AM
did you get all that Handicap?
I think in theory it is a good idea, but how practical would it be?
I will just play Devil's advocate: even if you have a central site for the 16 team tournament, we are forgetting about school travel. How many schools could afford or are willing to pay for the travel and hotels, if needed. And if not at a central location you are looking at traveling to a different place at the drop of a dime against an opponent you may nothing about. I dont think there are too many coaches who like to go into a playoff game blind or with limited information.
Dont get me wrong, I think in theory it is a great idea, but I dont think it is very practical, at least not at the level we are talking about.

Phil C
05-26-2005, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by GOFOR2
I will just play Devil's advocate: even if you have a central site for the 16 team tournament, we are forgetting about school travel. How many schools could afford or are willing to pay for the travel and hotels, if needed. And if not at a central location you are looking at traveling to a different place at the drop of a dime against an opponent you may nothing about. I dont think there are too many coaches who like to go into a playoff game blind or with limited information.
Dont get me wrong, I think in theory it is a great idea, but I dont think it is very practical, at least not at the level we are talking about.

Plus GO we must remember the weather possibility factor. Plus the conflicts with such things as the prom and graduation and other things.

cdlvj
05-26-2005, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by GOFOR2

Would not have to have central site.

week 1 - 2nd/3rd district teams play 1 game at home field of team winning the toss. And like in football, if you have the same matchup as in previous year, then there is no toss, and the visitor gets home.

week 2 - 1st round double elimination same criteria in determining home field.

week 3 - 2nd round - toss, and midway sites now come into play

week 4 - the central site

GOFOR2
05-26-2005, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by cdlvj
Would not have to have central site.

week 1 - 2nd/3rd district teams play 1 game at home field of team winning the toss. And like in football, if you have the same matchup as in previous year, then there is no toss, and the visitor gets home.

week 2 - 1st round double elimination same criteria in determining home field.

week 3 - 2nd round - toss, and midway sites now come into play

week 4 - the central site

where and when do the teams that lose the 1st round of double elimination play?

Phil C
05-26-2005, 02:49 PM
An important factor already mentioned is that having three games can leave you drained out so to speak. Remember Pearsall had three tough games against Sinton and was so drained out that they were not themselves against Needville and lost 2 to 0.