PDA

View Full Version : anyone remember this game

robbo93
05-21-2005, 01:24 PM
Sinton 19, Hitchcock 19
Date: Nov. 29, 1991
Site: El Campo High School Stadium
The Story: This Class 3A regional semifinal will go down as one of the area's greatest playoff games, mostly because of one brilliant decision by then Sinton coach Gary Davenport. Hitchcock went ahead, 13-12, with 3:50 left in the game. Sinton then turned the ball over on downs, giving the Bulldogs the ball back at their own 38-yard line. On second down on the Sinton 45-yard line, however, Davenport called timeout and told his startled defense: "Let them score." The Pirates did, and ended up on top. Here's how they did it: R.A. Winston scored - just as Davenport instructed - from 55 yards out with 46 seconds left. The Pirates stopped the Hitchcock 2-point try, making the score 19-12. The Bulldogs had a 3-2 advantage in penetrations, but Sinton led in first downs (the second tiebreak method used), 18-12. Albert Longoria returned the kickoff to the 48, and with 41 seconds left, Sinton drove to the Hitchcock 20. Then, with 14 seconds left on fourth-and-4, quarterback Ruben Trigo hit David Seago for the touchdown. The extra point tied the game, 19-19, to end regulation. To settle the tiebreak, officials first looked at penetrations, which now were tied, 3-3. Next came first downs, which went to Sinton, 20-12. Thus, the Pirates were able to advance in the playoffs because of one coach's gutsy call.
They Said It: "I knew if it didn't work, I would have a lot of explaining to do." - Gary Davenport, Sinton coach

Gobbla2001
05-21-2005, 03:16 PM
Wow, that's awesome...

My junior season we played Sweeny in the playoffs at El Campo...

We were down 14-0 at the half... tied it 14-14, went into OT... won the toss, played defense, stopped Sweeny...

Our first play from scrimmage our RB jumped offsides, so that pushed us back... We gave him the ball again and he ran untouched into the endzone... Sure made that after-game meal taste a lot better...

District303aPastPlayer
05-21-2005, 03:23 PM
this helps 1992's loss a lil bit. infamous eric garza kick...

Phil C
05-21-2005, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer

Actually they say it was a good kick which was the problem because it was very windy and the wind moved it over just far enough to the goal post to make it miss. Had it not been a windy day we would have been in the finals.

Phil C
05-21-2005, 11:20 PM
Another great game a few years later was when Sinton played Aransas Pass where Davenport had went to after coaching at Carroll High School. The teams were tied at the half and in the overtime Aransas Pass scored for a 28 to 21 lead. Sinton came back and scored a td and the Sinton coach decided to go for two since the boys were very tired. Sinton made the two points winning the game 29 to 28. There was one year there in Division 2 where Coach Davenport and Aransas Pass did very well in the playoffs and I think they reached the Quarterfinals or maybe the semis. I am not sure.

pirate44
05-22-2005, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
kinda hard for Eric to miss that kick in '92 when he graduated in 1991;)

District303aPastPlayer
05-22-2005, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by pirate44
kinda hard for Eric to miss that kick in '92 when he graduated in 1991;)

well, you know what i mean about the kick..