PDA

View Full Version : Not again!!!

pirate4state
05-20-2005, 11:23 AM
Saban: Ricky Williams 'very interested' in returning to football

May 19, 2005
DAVIE, Fla. (AP) -- Ricky Williams is discussing a comeback with the Miami Dolphins, coach Nick Saban said Thursday.

Saban acknowledged holding recent discussions with Williams, whose sudden retirement stunned the Dolphins shortly before training camp began last season. He would not divulge specifics of the talks, but has long said that he was open to the prospect of Williams returning.

Williams rushed for 3,225 yards and 25 touchdowns in his two seasons with the Dolphins.

"Ricky still seems to be very, very interested in coming back,'' Saban said. "As I've said before, the things that we discuss, we've decided not to talk about publicly. I think that I can safely say that you all know about his situation as I do.''

Leigh Steinberg, Williams' agent, didn't immediately return a phone message seeking comment.

Williams, who led the NFL in rushing in 2002, still owes the Dolphins $8.6 million for breaching his contract by unexpectedly retiring.

He also entered into a settlement last month with a former South Florida woman, agreeing to pay $4,200 per month in support and establish a $300,000 trust fund for a child he fathered.

After quitting the Dolphins, the former Heisman Trophy winner later acknowledged that he failed drug tests and faced a suspension for testing positive three times for marijuana.

"There are issues that need to be worked through,'' Saban said. "We're all in the process of evaluating those issues before it is resolved.''

If Williams returns, he'd likely have to wait until July to un-retire. Otherwise, he would face a one-year suspension for his violations of the NFL's substance-abuse program. Williams will still face a four-game suspension for failing a third drug test for marijuana last July, just before he retired.

Plus, the Dolphins used the No. 2 overall pick in last month's draft on another running back, Ronnie Brown of Auburn.

:doh:

CheerMom
05-20-2005, 11:53 AM
With all of the failed drug tests, I don't see how he could even be allowed to return to football. What message does this send our kids?

spiveyrat
05-20-2005, 12:24 PM
:rolleyes:

Bandera YaYa
05-20-2005, 12:42 PM
This is exactly why I dont watch pro football.....alot of stupid ignorant people involved ......if they take him back, they deserve the Loser Award of the Year in my book........hahaha....yeah they prob will..... :hand: