PDA

View Full Version : 11 Year Old Girl Pitches Perfect Game Against Boys!!!

ILS1
05-19-2005, 09:11 PM
OAKFIELD, N.Y. (AP) -- Katie Brownell is a shy 11-year-old girl of few words. But when she gets on the baseball field, she lets her pitching do the talking.

Brownell is the only girl in the Oakfield-Alabama Little League baseball program in this community about halfway between Buffalo and Rochester. On Saturday, that didn't stop her from accomplishing something league officials can't remember anybody -- boy or girl -- ever doing.

She threw a perfect game for the Dodgers in an 11-0 victory over the Yankees.

How dominant was she? She struck out all 18 batters she faced in the six-inning victory. She never got to a three-ball count on any of them.

"As far back as I can remember, I don't ever recall hearing of a perfect game," said Eric Klotzbach, league president.

Katie said she knew she had a chance for something special in the fourth inning. Fortunately, Katie's coach, Joe Sullivan, realized that, too.

He had intended to pull Katie at some point during the game and was ready to do it when the scorekeeper told him she had a no-hitter going.

"I can't pull her out," Sullivan said after taking a look at the score book himself.

So, Katie kept mowing down the opposition and completed the task. Then the place exploded.

"Everybody congratulated me," Katie said.

Katie, who is in 6th grade, also pitched a one-hitter in the first game of the year. She accounted for all 15 outs in the five innings she pitched in that game. She had 14 strikeouts and got the other out on a grounder to the mound that she tossed to first.

"She's been pitching for three years, but she's really came on and excelled this year," said Jeff Sage, manager of the team, who didn't get to see Saturday's game because of his job as a firefighter in Rochester. "She bats really well. She's a solid, all-around ballplayer."

At the plate, Katie's hitting .714 through the team's first three games.

Her sense for the game developed from playing baseball with siblings and friends.

"She had older brothers and we were always outside, so the minute she could pick up a ball, she was" playing, said her mother, Denise Bischoff.

In her first year with the Dodgers, Katie, the daughter of Mark Brownell, played with her older brothers, Jonathan and Joshua. Initially, she wasn't even going to play baseball this year, and instead eyed the softball team.

"Two weeks before the first game, when was it too late for her to switch over to softball, she decided to stick with hardball," Sullivan said. "Fortunately for us."

Copyright 2005 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Perfect Game (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/baseball/more/05/19/perfect.game.ap/index.html?cnn=yes)

pirate4state
05-19-2005, 09:33 PM
:clap: Awesome :thumbsup:

pirate44
05-19-2005, 09:39 PM
havent seen Phil C on here lately..maybe this is what itll take to get him posting again

44INAROW
05-19-2005, 09:42 PM
You go Katie :clap: :clap:

LH Panther Mom
05-20-2005, 07:20 AM
That's awesome! Girls Rule!!!

I wonder if she might be interested in moving. :thinking:

sicem74
05-20-2005, 08:18 AM
lol they took it easy on her

AP Panther Fan
05-20-2005, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by pirate44
havent seen Phil C on here lately..maybe this is what itll take to get him posting again

:D :D :D

Great story...way to go Katie!:)

LH Panther Mom
05-20-2005, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by sicem74
lol they took it easy on her

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

BullFrog Dad
05-20-2005, 08:45 AM
Great job Katie! As far as the coach try drug rehab. He was going to pull her until someone brought up the no-hitter with all outs being Ks.

sicem74
05-20-2005, 08:46 AM
there is no way that happend i jsut cant c it

AP Panther Fan
05-20-2005, 08:57 AM
there is no way that happend i jsut cant c it

Annie Get Your Gun Soundtrack Lyrics
Artist: Lyrics
Song: Anything You Can Do Lyrics
ANNIE OAKLEY, FRANK BUTLER and CHORUS:

Anything you can do,
I can do better.
I can do anything
Better than you.

No, you can't.
Yes, I can. No, you can't.
Yes, I can,
Yes, I can!

Anything you can be
I can be greater.
Sooner or later,
I'm greater than you.

No, you're not. Yes, I am.
No, you're NOT!. Yes, I am.
Yes, I am!

sicem74
05-20-2005, 09:01 AM
lol true

AP Panther Fan
05-20-2005, 09:08 AM
lol true

;)

onfirebball05mustang
05-20-2005, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
Annie Get Your Gun Soundtrack Lyrics
Artist: Lyrics
Song: Anything You Can Do Lyrics
ANNIE OAKLEY, FRANK BUTLER and CHORUS:

Anything you can do,
I can do better.
I can do anything
Better than you.

No, you can't.
Yes, I can,
Yes, I can!

Anything you can be
I can be greater.
Sooner or later,
I'm greater than you.

No, you're NOT!. Yes, I am.
Yes, I am!

HOOAH You Go Katie!!! :D :D

chugbug
05-20-2005, 10:04 AM
That is absolutely amasing:eek: :eek: :o :clap: :clap: :eek:

mwynn05
05-20-2005, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
That's awesome! Girls Rule!!!

I wonder if she might be interested in moving. :thinking: Well, if she came to Texas they would make her play softball.

LH Panther Mom
05-20-2005, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by mwynn05
Well, if she came to Texas they would make her play softball.

Not necessarily. The "wonderful" Marble Falls team we played earlier in the week had two girls on their team.

mwynn05
05-20-2005, 10:46 AM
You also have to remember, at that age girls are more developed than the boys

AP Panther Fan
05-20-2005, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by mwynn05
You also have to remember, at that age girls are more developed than the boys

mentally, i would agree .... but physically?:thinking:

kepdawg
05-20-2005, 11:50 AM
mentally, i would agree .... but physically?:thinking:

Generally speaking, absolutely!

Old Cardinal
05-20-2005, 12:32 PM
It is a proven fact that HS baseball players cannot hit top-flight softball Pitchers.
All for fun, a sportscaster challenged Hunter Homerun Hays and BJ Myers to try to hit softballs pitched by All-Stater Meagan Godwin. It went on for a while and they could not even foul a ball. The trick is the closesness of the pitch and the movement of the ball--it takes a while to make the adjustments.
I am just wondering if a girl could pitch a hardball underhanded in a boys HS baseball game(leagally)? I know girls that have been under top-flight instruction of years that might be more than effective in the switch.

Macarthur
05-20-2005, 01:19 PM
Goodness, where do I start.

First, I have a daughter and she will compete against other girls, not boys. She should be playing softball with all the other girls. I would bet the league would not allow boys to play softball.

Secondly, on guys hitting a fast pitch softballer, of course they could given time to make the adjustment. Hitting a baseball versus fast pitch softball is very different. If a 15 year old girl can hit a fast pitch softballer, then a 15 year old boy can given some time to adjust.

And it's true that up until about 12 years old, boys and girls are pretty close physically. So what. It's not a matter of the girl being able to compete with the boys. Obviously, she can. The point is she should be playing with fellow girls.

When I was in junior high, we played against Nortre Dame in Wichita Falls when Mia Hamm was there. She played football and basketball on the boys teams. As a frame of reference, she is one of the greatest women athletes of all time. In junior high she was just barely above average playing with boys. I don't mean that as a knock on her. In fact, that's quite extraordinary. I'm just simply trying to say why do we feel the need to always have this battle of the sexes?

sicem74
05-20-2005, 01:24 PM
if she came to tewxas got older played highschool baseball she wouldnt last they was being nice to her maybe we dont know?

Keith7
05-20-2005, 01:25 PM
If a "top-flight" high school baseball player got to play softball using the regulation softball equipment, then that Baseball player would be the next babe ruth of softball..

Mark is right when he said girls develope more quickly..

but girl or not that is an amazing accomplishment..

BullFrog Dad
05-20-2005, 01:30 PM
if she came to tewxas got older played highschool baseball she wouldnt last they was being nice to her maybe we dont know? Maybe they were afraid that if their bat hit one of her pitches they would get the cooties.

pirate4state
05-20-2005, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by BullFrog Dad
Maybe they were afraid that if their bat hit one of her pitches they would get the cooties. LOL :D

pirate4state
05-20-2005, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
Goodness, where do I start.

First, I have a daughter and she will compete against other girls, not boys. She should be playing softball with all the other girls. I would bet the league would not allow boys to play softball. :doh: Are you kidding? Maybe they don't offer softball where this young girl lives! If she wants to play, then let her play.

Secondly, on guys hitting a fast pitch softballer, of course they could given time to make the adjustment. Hitting a baseball versus fast pitch softball is very different. If a 15 year old girl can hit a fast pitch softballer, then a 15 year old boy can given some time to adjust. Maybe, maybe not. :p

And it's true that up until about 12 years old, boys and girls are pretty close physically. So what. It's not a matter of the girl being able to compete with the boys. Obviously, she can. The point is she should be playing with fellow girls.:eek: She can play wherever & with whomever she wants!! :mad:

I'm just simply trying to say why do we feel the need to always have this battle of the sexes? Because of people like you who won't give credit where credit is due and don't think girls can play with boys. :rolleyes: :hand:

And that's all I got to say about that.

Macarthur
05-20-2005, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
:doh: Are you kidding? Maybe they don't offer softball where this young girl lives! If she wants to play, then let her play.

If they don't offer softball, that's a bit of a different story, but I don't think there are many places that offer baseball for boys and not offer softball for the girls. Even the small town I grew up in has softball for girls.

[/b]:eek: She can play wherever & with whomever she wants!! :mad:

So what if a boy wants to play softball? Are you going to tell him he can't play with the girls? I'm not patronizing you; I serously would like for you to answer that question.

Because of people like you who won't give credit where credit is due and don't think girls can play with boys. :rolleyes: :hand:

Okay, it's a great accomplishment. That still doesn't change my mind that she should be playing softball. It's not that I don't think girls at that age can compete with boys, it's a matter of equality. It's the ultimate in irony that you think we're being highly progressive by letting a girl play with boys, yet you would never think of letting a boy play softball with the girls. It's contrary logic.

I think this actually is doing a disservice to the girl. What will she do in the years to come? If she continues to play with the guys, she will reach a point when they pass her physically and she won't get to play. Then does she go back to softball?

mwynn05
05-20-2005, 04:09 PM
mentally, i would agree .... but physically?:thinking: well what im saying is up unyil about the 6th or 7th grade i remember the girls always being taller than the boys and what not.

pirate4state
05-20-2005, 04:14 PM
So what if a boy wants to play softball? Are you going to tell him he can't play with the girls? I'm not patronizing you; I serously would like for you to answer that question.I say suit him up if that is what he wants. I have no problem with boys playing in the same sport with girls and vice versa. We are talking about 11-12 year olds not grown men & women. That's another topic! ;)

I'll just leave you to your opinions.

sicem74
05-20-2005, 04:30 PM
just wait ttill she get older than th boys will start throwing faster then she will swithc to softball:cool:

sicem74
05-20-2005, 04:31 PM
typo but i dun care

Macarthur
05-20-2005, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
I say suit him up if that is what he wants. I have no problem with boys playing in the same sport with girls and vice versa. We are talking about 11-12 year olds not grown men & women. That's another topic! ;)

I'll just leave you to your opinions. [/B]

Okay, I'll play. Let's say there are a dozen boys that want to play in the softball league and there are only so many spots on a limited number of teams. What if one of your daughters did not "make the team" due to about a dozen boys wanting to play softball? Would you still be okay with the boys playing in the girls league? What if your daughter was on the same team and a boy beat her out for 3rd base and your daughter sat the bench?

Phil C
05-20-2005, 08:34 PM
Amazing!

I was out of town for a conference so couldn't post! I am bacccckkkk! :)

pirate4state
05-21-2005, 05:24 PM
Okay, I'll play. Let's say there are a dozen boys that want to play in the softball league and there are only so many spots on a limited number of teams. What if one of your daughters did not "make the team" due to about a dozen boys wanting to play softball? Would you still be okay with the boys playing in the girls league? What if your daughter was on the same team and a boy beat her out for 3rd base and your daughter sat the bench? I'd tell her to go play baseball since all the boys were playing softball!!! :evillaugh :evillaugh

GOFOR2
05-21-2005, 09:17 PM
Okay, I'll play. Let's say there are a dozen boys that want to play in the softball league and there are only so many spots on a limited number of teams. What if one of your daughters did not "make the team" due to about a dozen boys wanting to play softball? Would you still be okay with the boys playing in the girls league? What if your daughter was on the same team and a boy beat her out for 3rd base and your daughter sat the bench?

Reverse Title IX!!!

Old Cardinal
05-22-2005, 08:07 PM
When my grandson was very small he played on a baseball team that had a little girl that was quite athletic. It was so cute, she would cross the plate running wide open but would always come back to dust the homeplate off. She knew how to add a feminine touch to the baseball game-- to the delight of the fans!

Macarthur
05-23-2005, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal
When my grandson was very small he played on a baseball team that had a little girl that was quite athletic. It was so cute, she would cross the plate running wide open but would always come back to dust the homeplate off. She knew how to add a feminine touch to the baseball game-- to the delight of the fans!

Don't get me wrong, there's no question that at an early age, there's very little difference in boys and girls physically. In fact, girls may be a little more advanced than boys. However, by the time kids get into little league baseball 9-10 years old, I think it's time for them to play in their own league.

Ranger Mom
05-23-2005, 12:03 PM
Don't get me wrong, there's no question that at an early age, there's very little difference in boys and girls physically. In fact, girls may be a little more advanced than boys. However, by the time kids get into little league baseball 9-10 years old, I think it's time for them to play in their own league.

This is quoted from the article, evidently it was too late for her to be able to sign up for softball this season:

"Initially, she wasn't even going to play baseball this year, and instead eyed the softball team."

"Two weeks before the first game, when was it too late for her to switch over to softball, she decided to stick with hardball," Sullivan said. "Fortunately for us."

District303aPastPlayer
05-23-2005, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
This is quoted from the article, evidently it was too late for her to be able to sign up for softball this season:

"Initially, she wasn't even going to play baseball this year, and instead eyed the softball team."

i was about to go back and do that, but thanks for saving me the time..

BullFrog Dad
05-23-2005, 12:11 PM
Don't get me wrong, there's no question that at an early age, there's very little difference in boys and girls physically. In fact, girls may be a little more advanced than boys. However, by the time kids get into little league baseball 9-10 years old, I think it's time for them to play in their own league. I agree! Especially when this girl was so rude to pitch a perfect game with all strikeouts. You go play with the girls if that's the way you're going to behave.

LH Panther Mom
05-23-2005, 12:16 PM
I agree! Especially when this girl was so rude to pitch a perfect game with all strikeouts. You go play with the girls if that's the way you're going to behave.

ROFL!!! :clap: :D

Macarthur
05-23-2005, 03:31 PM
I agree! Especially when this girl was so rude to pitch a perfect game with all strikeouts. You go play with the girls if that's the way you're going to behave.

So what is your point? So she pitched a couple of great games; I'm addressing the issue as a whole, not this particular girl.

BullFrog Dad
05-23-2005, 03:40 PM
So what is your point? So she pitched a couple of great games; I'm addressing the issue as a whole, not this particular girl. That everyone should be allowed to compete at the level of their abilities. This girl has talent way above her current peers in baseball so maybe she should look into a boy's select baseball program in her area.

Macarthur
05-24-2005, 12:07 PM
That everyone should be allowed to compete at the level of their abilities. This girl has talent way above her current peers in baseball so maybe she should look into a boy's select baseball program in her area.

So what you are saying is that if some boys are not good enough to play baseball, then it's okay for them to play softball in the girls league?

If so, what about the girls that want to play softball, but did not make the team because of a dozen or so boys whose "ability" makes them a better fit in girls softball rather than baseball?

BullFrog Dad
05-24-2005, 12:34 PM
So what you are saying is that if some boys are not good enough to play baseball, then it's okay for them to play softball in the girls league?

If so, what about the girls that want to play softball, but did not make the team because of a dozen or so boys whose "ability" makes them a better fit in girls softball rather than baseball? I meant from the upwardly mobile standpoint. Your coming from an angle that's the equivalent of the dumbing down that's going on in our schools. Sometimes kids have to come to grips that they may not have what it takes to make the team.

seasick4
05-24-2005, 12:55 PM
good lord, she is 11!!! who cares!! It happens all over the county in these towns where girls play baseball. It wont last long!! She will be playing softball before its all said and done. She could be getting better in her own sport (softball)....Girls mature faster than boys...!!! You show me a 24 year woman who is going to throw a no hitter...Then I'll accept it.

Everyone knows that!!! alot of people just dont like to accept it..

Go Brahmas!