PDA

View Full Version : Liberty Hill to vote on bond proposal

LH Panther Mom
05-18-2005, 11:58 AM
Growth makes $65 million for new schools, campus improvements necessary, official says.
By Bob Banta

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Voters in the Liberty Hill school district will go to the polls Saturday to decide whether to issue $65 million in bonds to improve campuses and build schools and an athletic complex.

The district's enrollment of 1,975 students is expected to rise to 2,123 by next year, Superintendent Dean Andrews said Monday.

"By the year 2008, we are projected by our demographer to have 3,091 students," Andrews said. "We need the facilities to handle that growth."

Voting will be from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. at the school administration building, 14001 Texas 29 West in Liberty Hill.

The first proposition on the ballot asks permission to issue almost $60 million in bond debt to build a $14.4 million elementary school that would open in August 2006 with a capacity of 850 students.

It also would pay for a $20 million elementary school that officials predict will be needed within the next five years.

The proposition also includes money for a middle school field house, a performing arts center, computer technology, baseball fields and tennis courts.

The second proposition includes about $5 million for a football stadium and track that would be constructed on what is now the practice field between Liberty Hill Middle School and the high school.

If the proposals pass, Andrews said, the first sale of bonds would total about $25 million to pay for the elementary school, computer technology worth $3.7 million, an $800,000 middle school dressing room and various campus upgrades.

The second bond sale, totaling $40 million, would be issued during the next three to five years and would include $20 million for the second elementary school.

The first bond sale would raise the district's tax rate of $1.66 per $100 in assessed valuation to $1.90 per $100, Andrews said, which would result in the tax bill on a $100,000 home rising from $1,415 to $1,615 next year.

Liberty Hill resident Mike East, 59, a real estate agent, said he is against the bond proposal because it would impose too high a tax on residents. He said not enough details on the spending plan have been provided to voters.

"An elementary school probably would not be a bad thing, but I say we should vote the entire proposal down and the board bring us something we can all live with," East said.

Andrews said the proposals were based on input from a committee of residents.

"Everyone was invited to participate," he said.

KTJ
05-18-2005, 12:20 PM
What are your thougts LHPM?

LH Panther Mom
05-18-2005, 12:38 PM
I've seen the growth over the years and know that there is already crowding, even with the addition of the 4th campus a few years ago. The elementary school has 6 portable buildings and is bursting out of those. The school buses are already running at capacity. The middle school has portables as well & dressing rooms that were designed for 30 kids safely has 60+ kids changing at a time. Technology is outdated at most of the campuses & in many cases, the PTO has had to purchase computers for a teacher to have one in their classroom. I won't even touch the stadium situation...I'm sure jason or one of the Burnet folks will be happy to tell you how undersized the seating is.

The new subdivision that is currently being built is going to increase the student population astoundingly. The district has no choice but to build an additional elementary asap and then plan for the future years. The opponents to the election have taken the facts and completely skewed them to fit their personal agenda. Our district has received exemplary rating on accountability and I have no reason to doubt that they will continue to do so.

When we moved to central Texas 10 years ago, we picked LH based on the fantastic school system & I will do what is in my power to see that the school remains as great as it was then.

LH Panther Mom
05-18-2005, 12:40 PM
And BTW...in case you didn't figure it out, I'm 100% for it. :)

underware
05-18-2005, 12:49 PM
LHPM - What's bringing all the people in?

Ranger Mom
05-18-2005, 12:52 PM
Good luck to yall!

We went through this a couple of years ago and our bond passed.

We are just now starting to see the improvements and sadly my children will be out of school before they are all completed.

It was something that needed to be done. Not because we are growing, but because the facilities are old and needed to be replaced.

LH Panther Mom
05-18-2005, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by underware
LHPM - What's bringing all the people in?

I wish I knew the answer to that. There has been a huge influx of people into the Austin area the last 10 years, in great part due to technological companies. Leander ISD, which includes Cedar Park, has added 2 high schools since we moved here. Leander, CP, Georgetown & Round Rock have grown into small cities and no longer have a small town feel. I'm sure that many folks are wanting to stay small-town with city convenience and probably the recognition the athletics programs have gained over the years contributes to some notice.

Our district, when we moved here, covered 100 sq miles...that may have increased some. In 1980 the population was roughly 300, '90 between 900 & 1000 and 2000 was 1400. There's no "industry" here, other than Super Circuits (design & build electronic security) which moved here 5 years or so ago.

JasperDog94
05-18-2005, 01:39 PM
New Caney has passed 3 bonds in the past 5 years.:mad: Plus we've lost our homestead exemption. We're being taxed out of our homes.:mad: :mad: Be very careful of doing things "for the children". Not saying that you don't need to pass this bond, but just be very careful of following your administration. Don't just take their word for it. It all sounds good on paper.

LH Panther Mom
05-18-2005, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Not saying that you don't need to pass this bond, but just be very careful of following your administration. Don't just take their word for it. It all sounds good on paper.

Actually, there was a huge amount of input from citizens before the school board proposed it go on the ballot. Several weeks before the sb meeting, the district asked for any interested citizens to serve on planning committees. There were probably 10 committees with differing "needs" - technology, future building, current facilities, buses, athletics, etc.

I don't necessarily take the word of what the administration or school board tells me, but what I've seen and what my kids are telling me make me a firm believer in the growth & the needs of the district. On the bus my kids ride, they're having to cram 3 to a seat the majority of the time, some days it's worse.

JasperDog94
05-18-2005, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Actually, there was a huge amount of input from citizens before the school board proposed it go on the ballot. Several weeks before the sb meeting, the district asked for any interested citizens to serve on planning committees. There were probably 10 committees with differing "needs" - technology, future building, current facilities, buses, athletics, etc.

I don't necessarily take the word of what the administration or school board tells me, but what I've seen and what my kids are telling me make me a firm believer in the growth & the needs of the district. On the bus my kids ride, they're having to cram 3 to a seat the majority of the time, some days it's worse. Hopefully there will be a high voter turnout. That way the voters will make their voices heard. Either for or against. Last bond election we had (I think) about 500 people voted in a district that has 4 elementary schools 2 middle schools and 1 high school. I guess I just have a bad taste in my mouth when I see how underhanded things are done around here. I know that it's not like that everywhere.

lol...Our own school board president can't even pay his school taxes because they're too high.:rolleyes:

LH Panther Mom
05-20-2005, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Hopefully there will be a high voter turnout. That way the voters will make their voices heard. Either for or against. Last bond election we had (I think) about 500 people voted in a district that has 4 elementary schools 2 middle schools and 1 high school. I guess I just have a bad taste in my mouth when I see how underhanded things are done around here. I know that it's not like that everywhere.

Well, early voting had 349 voters. It's been a while since I've seen so many letters to the editor. :eek:

Chris Hart
05-20-2005, 08:32 PM
LHPM, I didn't realize yall were growing so rapidly. We may just get to be back in the same district in 08. At that rate, Liberty Hill will outgrow Burnet in just a few years. Last year's game was awesome, but it sure would've been better if it had been in week 10 for the district championship. I hope the bond passes, parents spend way more than the increased tax rate on useless stuff for their children. Why not put it into something that will benefit the future children too?:)

Buckeyeman
05-20-2005, 08:35 PM
Gilmer school voters are notorious for voting down school bonds. They finally approved a $24 million bond package back in 2003. The first in about 20 years.

LH Panther Mom
05-20-2005, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Chris Hart
LHPM, I didn't realize yall were growing so rapidly. We may just get to be back in the same district in 08. At that rate, Liberty Hill will outgrow Burnet in just a few years. Last year's game was awesome, but it sure would've been better if it had been in week 10 for the district championship. I hope the bond passes, parents spend way more than the increased tax rate on useless stuff for their children. Why not put it into something that will benefit the future children too?:)

LOL! I'm kind of thinking we may...unless Burnet goes back to 3a. The new subdivision is around 183/29 - about a mile south of 29. The entrance was being paved yesterday when I went to the office. Sundance Ranch has really exploded as well.

It sounds like we should have a good voter turnout.

j_dog
05-20-2005, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
LOL! ....The new subdivision is around 183/29 - about a mile south of 29. The entrance was being paved yesterday when I went to the office. Sundance Ranch has really exploded as well.
Any way LH could move up to 4a in 05 ?? :D

Good luck on the bonds. I have seen so many cases where taxpayers just cost themselves money in the long run by not approving bond issues when needed.

LH Panther Mom
05-21-2005, 05:07 AM
Originally posted by j_dog
Any way LH could move up to 4a in 05 ?? :D

Nope, sorry. :p :D

LH Panther Mom
05-22-2005, 08:29 AM
Voters reject bond proposals
Measures to renovate schools, build athletic complex fail by wide margins.
By Bob Banta

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Sunday, May 22, 2005

Liberty Hill school district voters on Saturday rejected a $65 million bond issue to renovate campuses and construct schools and an athletic complex.

The first proposition on the ballot would have given the school board permission to issue almost $60 million in bond debt to build two elementary schools, a middle school field house and a performing arts center and to purchase additional computer technology. It lost with 798 votes against to 410 in favor.

A second proposition, which included about $5 million for a football stadium and track, failed by a wider margin, 876 to 318.

"I'm certainly disappointed," Superintendent Dean Andrews said. "I understand what the taxpayers are facing, and I, too, have the same thoughts about the tax roll. We will just have to come back together, establish what we consider to be our most critical needs and try to move forward."

LHMom
05-22-2005, 07:23 PM
I'm afraid we are going to be in a real jam, LHPM. My kids will not be impacted as the youngest only has 1 year left, but we have no room to house the number of students coming in, and they can't put forth another bond proposal till September.

j_dog
05-22-2005, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by LHMom
I'm afraid we are going to be in a real jam, LHPM. My kids will not be impacted as the youngest only has 1 year left, but we have no room to house the number of students coming in, and they can't put forth another bond proposal till September.
Every situation is different, and maybe my take is not valid in this case.

Understanding that there may have been other issues, still I am saddened to hear about your bond's defeat. What this probably will mean is that your Board will now be forced to do short term fixes, like "portable" buildings (out of current funds) that will cost as much in the short run as just passing the bond would have cost. Then when the short term fixes are no longer enough, then the voters will end up passing an even larger bond issue because it has by then become an "emergency" and inflation has driven building costs even higher. I have seen that happen time and again. But, that is how things work. Sorry to see it happening to you folks. It seems especially sad considering that long term bond rates are at historic lows right now.

LH Panther Mom
05-22-2005, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by LHMom

I know. :( Unfortunately, I believe we're already in a jam. This school year, there were 6-5th grade classes; 6 weeks ago my youngest told me there will be 7 next year...if we don't get a large amount of kids that age move in.

The elementary campus is in the worst bind, as there's no room for additional portables. There is some room at the intermediate, but it would take away the space where the students have p.e. The biggest problem that I see is not the fact that additional portables will have to be put somewhere, but that the funds used to purchase them will take away from hiring teachers for each classroom. I'm afraid that the classrooms will now be overcrowded with 25+ per class, therefore students won't receive as much individual attention as previously. :( The loss to our children for $25-$50 per month....

JasperDog94
05-22-2005, 09:26 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your bond LHPM. The problem that most school districts are facing now is not a local problem, but a state problem. The state has continued to fund less and less per child, thus increasing the burden on the local taxpayer. People (myself included) are fed up with higher property taxes. Our rates go up almost every year along with our evaluation. I urge you to get involved on the local and state level and let's get something done about this problem.