PDA

View Full Version : Tim Ratcliff Leaving Jasper

kepdawg
05-16-2005, 04:35 PM
I know he's just the principal, but will his departure have any noticeable affect on the athletic department?

JHS_c/o_06'
05-16-2005, 04:42 PM
i doubt it

kepdawg
05-16-2005, 04:44 PM
I guess it would be more likely that the new principal could possibly have a noticeable affect. Hopefully they get a very athletics friendly principal!

VWG
05-16-2005, 04:49 PM
my two cents......
The superintendent is the AD's boss, not the principal.

HighSchool Fan
05-16-2005, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
I guess it would be more likely that the new principal could possibly have a noticeable affect. Hopefully they get a very athletics friendly principal!

hopefully they hire a principle that realizes that athletics are secondary to learning. it's about time that schools put more emphasis on learning instead of sports.

kepdawg
05-16-2005, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by VWG
my two cents......
The superintendent is the AD's boss, not the principal.

True, but the principal still has a lot of power to make the AD's life heaven or hell!

Maybe the superintendent, who just finished his first year with the district, and the new principal will insist on finding a kicker! That would certainly be a positive noticeable affect on the program!

kepdawg
05-16-2005, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
hopefully they hire a principle that realizes that athletics are secondary to learning. it's about time that schools put more emphasis on learning instead of sports.

Well, I believe there is a lot of learning done in athletics. Athletics and other non-academic programs such as music and art should not be looked upon as inferior to academics but rather as equal.

HighSchool Fan
05-16-2005, 05:28 PM
Well, I believe there is a lot of learning done in athletics. Athletics and other non-academic programs such as music and art should not be looked upon as inferior to academics but rather as equal.

that is why they call it EXTRA-CURRICULAR, it is and should be considered secondary. the main purpose of school should always be academics first.

kepdawg
05-16-2005, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
that is why they call it EXTRA-CURRICULAR, it is and should be considered secondary. the main purpose of school should always be academics first.

Correct, that is why THEY, not me call it extra-curricular. I consider it co-curricular and equally important.

This is one of those things we'll never agree on and that's cool, so I'm done with it.

Gobbla2001
05-16-2005, 05:42 PM
It may take a toll...

The head dude when I was in High School left after the '00-'01 school year, which was his first year... His Dad headed the school the previous 583 years... after that family stopped leading the way, the next two years went as follows...

6-4

5-6

But but the new guy's coming around... once he established his system, if you can call it that, things turned around... 9-2 and 14-1...

spiveyrat
05-17-2005, 09:29 AM

I don't think you could find one with as much balance as Tim. Formerly, he was a very strict educator as well as a great football/baseball coach. I didn't have him for American History as a Junior but I'll bet there are a few posters on here who did have him for that class who could attest for how hard his class was. He was my linebacker coach and baseball coach. I had more fun playing baseball for him than anything else. He'll be missed!

j_dog
05-17-2005, 01:18 PM
Tim will be missed, no doubt. He clearly understood that academics comes first, but also that athletics is also very important in young peoples lives.

I am optimistic that Jasper will tap someone for the job who will be equally good for the students.

JasperDog94
05-17-2005, 02:27 PM
I had him for history in 11th grade. He was a no-nonsense teacher. I loved that class. He was a good teacher. He didn't put up with any c*&% from any student.:)

spiveyrat
05-17-2005, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
I had him for history in 11th grade. He was a no-nonsense teacher. I loved that class. He was a good teacher. He didn't put up with any c*&% from any student.:)

Yeah, I can remember him failing "star" athletes making them ineligible for 6 whole weeks.

Ok, actually he didn't fail them. He merely showed their level of mastery of American History. :D

j_dog
05-17-2005, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
Yeah, I can remember him failing "star" athletes making them ineligible for 6 whole weeks.

Ok, actually he didn't fail them. He merely showed their level of mastery of American History. :D
That is right. He failed no one. He let them fail themselves. And at least one famous "star" athlete found out the hard way that Mr. Ratcliff did not care that he played football. :) I would bet that all athletes after that paid attention. :clap:

JasperDog94
05-17-2005, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by spiveyrat

Ok, actually he didn't fail them. He merely showed their level of mastery of American History. :D Yeah. I used to hate it when a fellow student would say "so and so failed me". No. You failed yourself.

kepdawg
05-17-2005, 02:51 PM
I really liked Ratcliff and hate to see him leave. My sophomore year I witnessed a student with his hand in his backpack threatening to shoot Ratcliff. Ratcliff handled the situation very well and fortunately there was no gun, so no one was in any actual danger.