PDA

View Full Version : Bags out for a while

AggieJohn
05-15-2005, 09:57 PM
Astros' Bagwell to have shoulder surgery

May 15, 2005
HOUSTON (AP) -- Jeff Bagwell will have surgery on his arthritic right shoulder early next month in hopes of prolonging his career that has been derailed by pain.

The Houston Astros' first baseman has been out since May 3. He was placed on the disabled list Tuesday for the first time in seven seasons, because of the degenerative shoulder condition that will require surgery, the team said before Sunday night's game against the San Francisco Giants.

``To be honest, I'm excited about it,'' Bagwell said. ``I want to show myself and the organization that I can still play. I really believe it will work. This is my best opportunity to play again.

ADVERTISEMENT

``It has been tough on me not playing, but it got to where it wasn't getting any better and I'm at a point where I can't do it.''

The procedure, called an arthroscopic capsular release, will be performed by Dr. Richard Hawkins in Spartanburg, S.C., with assistance from team doctor David Lintner. The rehabilitation is expected to last three months.

``This is a last chance effort to salvage his playing career,'' Lintner said.

Bagwell, who turns 37 this month, has been bothered by pain in the shoulder for four years and had surgery on Oct. 26, 2001. There has been speculation that the pain will force Bagwell to retire.

``The scary part is thinking that my career might be over,'' Bagwell said. ``I'm not going to help anybody the way I am. I have to do it. It is the only way I can continue to play.''

He missed just 12 games over the past three seasons despite the discomfort in his shoulder.

After hitting 30 or more homers in eight straight seasons, Bagwell dropped to 27 in 2004. He's batting .250 with three home runs and 15 RBIs in 24 games for the Astros, who rank last in the National League in hits and homers.

``I know I'm on the downside of my career,'' he said.

Bagwell hoped to rejoin the lineup last Monday at Florida when he warmed up before the game. But instead went on the disabled list the next day, retroactive to May 4.

He has been on the disabled list only two other times in 15 seasons, most recently in May 1998 because of a knee injury.

``Hopefully, we will have him back for the last month of the season,'' Astros general manager Tim Purpura said.

JasperDog94
05-16-2005, 09:34 AM
This is the same shoulder that he refused to have surgury on DURING THE OFF SEASON!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: I like Bags but come on! I don't know what's hurting the Astros more: Bagwell's batting average or is wasted salary.:rolleyes:

pirate44
05-16-2005, 08:43 PM
hmmm...i see myself with Hooks tix in the future :thinking: