PDA

View Full Version : Let's compare notes on our softball teams projections for next year

Old Cardinal
05-15-2005, 04:07 PM
I know that the season is not finished but a lot of excellent teams have been eliminated for this year; however, I see a lot of potential coming back in the HS softball circles. What gave me the idea to do this discussion is that teams like Huntington the #1 rated team at the very first of this year (and lost to Splendora by 1 point) had FIVE freshman on the team.
Please take the time to explain to us the prospects for your team next year, in any manner that you might choose. This is also open to the 16 teams still in the hunt for the State Title this year.

neck_06
05-15-2005, 05:57 PM
The Columbia Lady Necks only have one senior, and 2 or 3 juniors.....look for them to be contenders for the next couple of years

Rockdale Tiger
05-15-2005, 06:06 PM
Rockdale has 4 seniors, only 3 that contribute and they play centerfield, 2cd base, and pitcher(2cd in rotation).

Old Cardinal
05-15-2005, 07:46 PM
Bridge City will graduate two Seniors Meagan Godwin and right fielder Kaliegh Wallace. They presently have 3 Freshman that are strong select team trained players. They have a very potent JV that even has 4 juniors and some good prospects to agument the Varsity next season. On Pitching they will have a Senior Elena Clinton from the Thunder 16 & U select team. They will also have as a Sophmore Shandi Conner next year that has pitched in 3 State Finals in select team ball and in high-bracket Nationals games at various ages in select team ball for the Beaumont Blast Red team. Both can presently "pump" at 60+ mph but realistically pitch at 58-59 mph in order to make the ball "dance" and better control placement. They will also have Skye Mitchell that will be a Sophomore that pitched the JV to an almost perfect season losing a few close games to a few Varsity teams. Nearly all the local players have played Select team ball of some sort. BC has had it's own BC Thunder 14 & U(mostly BC & Orangefield girls) that were pretty stout in local select circles and regional tournament play.
It has now disbanded as the girls were mostly picked up by the other premium local select team programs. In its place a new league called Bridge City/Orangefield Softball Association has been formed to let aspiring girls of all ages get their feet wet in both league ball and occasional local select team tournaments.
Cardz have won 47 straight District games and have not been beat by a 3A team since Katie Garnett and the Senior laden Elgin team took them out of the playoffs last year. They play the best 4As and Louisiana 5A top teams that are available in order to face good stout pitching before facing like prime pitching in the 3A bracket play. They consider losing to a top rated 4A or better as just a short-term learning experience.
All in all, the folks in the area have worked at it to have a viable feed program to play premium level Select Team ball that would get the better girls scholarships to major softball recognized colleges. The High School team is the recipient of all those dedicated efforts by many softball enthuasist and girls that love to play the game.

Rockdale Tiger
05-15-2005, 10:04 PM
Our JV softball team was 12-0-2 in district play. It is looking good for the Lady Tiger program.

Old Cardinal
05-15-2005, 10:18 PM
I like what I hear about Rockdale. Have you played any of the same teams that Splendora has played? Who have you lost games to?
A strong JV is the key especially if they play year round ball of some sort.

Rockdale Tiger
05-15-2005, 10:20 PM
Rockdale lost twice to China Springs in regular season without their key players in the first loss(6-0) and it was the first game back for the key players in the 2cd loss to China Springs(2-1). I believe the other loss came in a tourney to a 5a team. I'm not real sure on that one.

Old Cardinal
05-15-2005, 10:36 PM
Just think if we were fortunate enough that Rockdale would beat Splendora and BC Cardz could beat LaGrange then we will get to play each other.....I would think that Conroe would be about half way..

Rockdale Tiger
05-15-2005, 10:42 PM
First things first OC, BEAT SPLENDORA! :D Then we'll talk about a location. What can you tell me about Splendora?

BTEXDAD
05-16-2005, 07:56 AM
good luck to all the remaining teams. With Bellville out of playoffs, I'll try to make some games where I can just watch and enjoy good softball rather than being stressed out. Keep posting info on 3a downlow about locations and times.

Bellville will return 8 girls who started their playoff games. Both girls who pitched in playoffs were sophomores this year. Entire infield will return. One senior started in right field.
JV finished second in district to Columbus with a 6-2 record, not sure of overall record, somethng like 15-4 but I know they won one JV tournament.

On paper Bellville should be better in 2006, but you don't win the games on paper. Girls will have to step up in all phases of game to get through Region 3.

Etexpirate
05-16-2005, 12:09 PM
BTEXDAD here is a link to the bracket so you can go look for yourself. I too will be attending the games for the pure fun of it and cheering on the girls off of our select team that are still in the playoffs!
Go Splendora!!!

http://www.uil.utexas.edu/ath/brackets/softball/3Asb.pdf

Old Cardinal
05-16-2005, 12:42 PM
To Rockdale Tiger: Splendora is a team of solid select team players and they are quite young and aggressive. Defense is solid and I was impressed by their small size girls that were quite swift and agile. Cassie Anderson is a great little Pitcher and pitches in rotation with Samantha Cummings from Shepherd on the Montgomery County Elite Gold select team program. You will have to earn every thing you get; they don't make many mistakes. I saw them edge Barbers Hill and their composure was what won it for them. In tight situations they are well Coached. Hat off to you if your beat them! This Region III is so close this year and will be again next year.

Please folks don't be bashfull join in the discussion.

pirate4state
05-16-2005, 01:14 PM
Sinton will return all of their starters. :clap:

bmbf_06
05-16-2005, 01:27 PM
wharton has several freshman and juniors returning next year

Old Cardinal
05-17-2005, 01:54 PM
ttt

Old Cardinal
05-19-2005, 05:49 PM
One of the stronger teams next year may well be the Pollok Central Lady Bulldogs. There is fine tradition at that school. They won the State Title in 1997 and have been competitive ever since. They finished with a record of 23-8 this year with nearly a whole team coming back! Seniors next year include Candice Terry, Amanda Andrus, Jessica Runnels and Claire McGee--that is some seasoned players with savvy. Another asset is that they will have 6 Sophomores that were Freshman(this season) with ample playing time. Amber Jones will be the only Junior on the team. Coaches Amanda Carpenter and Wendall Welch are very professional and get 100% effort out of their girls.