PDA

View Full Version : Jackson to decide coaching future next month

TheDOCTORdre
05-15-2005, 01:32 PM
BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. -- Phil Jackson is still trying to decide whether he will return to coaching next season, and expects teams would want to hear from him by next month.

"I've not made up my mind. Coaching is an option," Jackson told The Associated Press in an interview Saturday, adding that while he had set no deadline for his decision, "by mid-June or by early June, people need to have answers."

The former Los Angeles Lakers coach said he wouldn't necessarily mind taking on a rebuilding job.

"The two teams I've been with have been relatively set. I was in Chicago as an assistant coach when they were rebuilding. The Lakers had to practically rebuild all the time. The changes we went through in the first three championships with the organization were probably more than we went through in Chicago."

Jackson said there were obvious advantages if he were to return to the Lakers, but also some disadvantages.

"I have a family here. I have a relationship with Jeannie [Buss]. There are a lot of positive things. There's also a big negative about not being here last year and the experience that led to the change with the Lakers. There is also that overall feeling."

Although Jackson had some critical comments about Kobe Bryant in a book he wrote after leaving Los Angeles, he said Saturday he'd have no difficulty working with the Lakers star.

"I think there is nothing but good feelings between Kobe and myself," he said.

Jackson was delivering a speech later in the day at a fundraiser for the Positive Coaching Alliance, a national nonprofit group that encourages youth coaches to use sports to teach life lessons. He is a spokesman for the group.

Lakers owner Jerry Buss said earlier this month that Jackson was on the short list of candidates for the team's vacant coaching job. Buss said he believes Jackson wants to return to coaching, but maybe not this year. Jackson's longtime girlfriend, Jeanie Buss, is the owner's daughter and an executive with the team.

Jackson has also been mentioned in connection with coaching vacancies with the Cleveland Cavaliers and New York Knicks, and there might be other possibilities as well.

Jackson and the Lakers parted ways three days after Los Angeles lost to Detroit in last year's NBA Finals. Rudy Tomjanovich signed a five-year contract to coach the team, but stepped down on Feb. 2, citing health concerns. Jackson was mentioned as a possible replacement almost immediately.

The 59-year-old Jackson has nine championship rings as a head coach, six in Chicago and three in Los Angeles. He's tied with former Boston coach Red Auerbach for most NBA titles.

If Jackson does decide to return to coaching, he figures to command a salary somewhere in the range of $10 million a year. He earned $30 million in his five years as Lakers coach.

Knicks president Isiah Thomas met with Jackson last month to discuss the New York job, but Thomas also has interviewed other candidates.

The Lakers, usually one of the NBA's glamour teams, had a 34-48 record this season and missed the playoffs for the first time in 11 years and just the second time since 1976. Assistant Frank Hamblen served as interim coach after Tomjanovich stepped down.

Jackson and Bryant had a well-documented up-and-down relationship during their five years together, and Jackson outlined the difficulties in a book he wrote that came out last October. Bryant signed a seven-year, $136 million contract with the Lakers last July.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2060501