PDA

View Full Version : Region 3 Semi-Final Matchups

Rockdale Tiger
05-15-2005, 12:15 PM
#2 Splendora vs. #3 Rockdale

#1 Bridge City vs La Grange

The state championship should be won by one of these four teams. Good luck to all of the teams especially Rockdale!

**Rankings provided by TGCA as of April 26**

gobbler grad
05-15-2005, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Rockdale Tiger
#2 Splendora vs. #3 Rockdale

#1 Bridge City vs La Grange

The state championship should be won by one of these four teams. Good luck to all of the teams especially Rockdale!

**Rankings provided by TGCA as of April 26**

La Grange not rated...:thinking:

Rockdale Tiger
05-15-2005, 01:26 PM
They were runner up to Rockdale in 19-3A district standings.

Old Cardinal
05-15-2005, 04:36 PM
I am sure that had LaGrange not been runnerup to a rated Rockdale team in their District they would have garnered a good rating spot. LaGrange is kind of spotty in that their Coach Sharon V. tends to try all sorts of wild plays and stuff. I know she played right into the hands of Bridge City several years ago when she kept trying to bunt against two All-Staters-- Pitcher Laura Gremillion and Catcher Jessica LeMoine. That cost the Lady Leps the ballgame game(in my opinion) because these two exceptional college bound players threw out everyone of her fleet runners trying to get to first on the bunt.
When you take wild moves they increase your chances of either winning or losing. It's a calculated risk based on your preception of the strength of your opponents personnel. Or, you are just throwing the whole thing up for grabs to try to get lucky and hope somehow your opponent makes mistakes.
I totally respect the Leps and fully expect them to be a worthy opponent: they have the personnel to upset anyone in the playoffs.

BTEXDAD
05-16-2005, 08:05 AM
La Grange was one of the better hitting teams Bellville faced this year, even some of their outs were loud ones.
LG parents have said they weren't always hitting that well during year, but have done well in playoffs, which is what you need to do. They have some fast girls and pitching is solid. Defense I'm not sure about. They'd look good for awhile and then when runners got on base, they seemed to get a little rattled and threw the ball around some. I think BC will hit the ball better than Bellville and LG will have to play better Defense.

sicem74
05-16-2005, 08:06 AM
im pulling for lagrange and rockdale that would be a good matchup and they would represent 19-3A

hookandladder
05-16-2005, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal
I am sure that had LaGrange not been runnerup to a rated Rockdale team in their District they would have garnered a good rating spot. LaGrange is kind of spotty in that their Coach Sharon V. tends to try all sorts of wild plays and stuff. I know she played right into the hands of Bridge City several years ago when she kept trying to bunt against two All-Staters-- Pitcher Laura Gremillion and Catcher Jessica LeMoine. That cost the Lady Leps the ballgame game(in my opinion) because these two exceptional college bound players threw out everyone of her fleet runners trying to get to first on the bunt.
When you take wild moves they increase your chances of either winning or losing. It's a calculated risk based on your preception of the strength of your opponents personnel. Or, you are just throwing the whole thing up for grabs to try to get lucky and hope somehow your opponent makes mistakes.
I totally respect the Leps and fully expect them to be a worthy opponent: they have the personnel to upset anyone in the playoffs.

You must not be very knowledgeable of how most tight games are decided. In softball all it takes is one little bobble and the game is over. Just because you have 2 college bound players on the infield does not mean you are going to make every play. If you think it does, than I guess most college coaches play into each others hands. Maybe you need to go watch some higher caliber of softball and see how bunting is a major part of the game. Mistakes as you mention are referred to as Breaks, being aggressive and taking the game to your opponent is how you cause Breaks.

Old Cardinal
05-16-2005, 03:14 PM
Glad to see you have joined the 3A Down Low--Welcome. I am glad to find out that I am not knowledgeable about diamond sports. I appreciate you getting me all informed-- now I can rest in peace....

BTEXDAD
05-16-2005, 04:38 PM
Calm down guys, let the girls settle it on the field. LOL

Old Cardinal
05-16-2005, 05:21 PM
BTXDAD: I don't think I am really disturbed--but then again how should I know:)
I guess it's a difference in ball philosophy...Personally I subscribe to the same thoughts as the Financial Company that says, "We believe in the old fashion way of doing business and that is to earn it."
How novel of the BC Cardz to "earn it" with their 22 hits in two ballgames this past weekend. When your back five hits as well as the top-of-the-order: you are hitting on all cylinders--pardon the pun? I guess in their own naive way they found a way to "make things happen":D
I hear that it will be a best 2 of 3.

Old Cardinal
05-16-2005, 05:34 PM
ttt

hookandladder
05-17-2005, 06:54 AM
BTXDAD: I don't think I am really disturbed--but then again how should I know:)
I guess it's a difference in ball philosophy...Personally I subscribe to the same thoughts as the Financial Company that says, "We believe in the old fashion way of doing business and that is to earn it."
How novel of the BC Cardz to "earn it" with their 22 hits in two ballgames this past weekend. When your back five hits as well as the top-of-the-order: you are hitting on all cylinders--pardon the pun? I guess in their own naive way they found a way to "make things happen":D
I hear that it will be a best 2 of 3.

If you have a different ball philosophy, obviously it's not the one your coach used 2 years ago. You might want to find a writeup of the game. The game was won on your Team bunting the ball. The real old fashion way of doing business is Drag bunting and moving runners over by bunting the ball. The Hardheaded way is watching your players strikeout again and again, then asking yourself after the game if I should of been bunting. I hope your coach has the same Old Fashion Philosophy,( On Bunting) as you would say it, that would play right into the other teams hand.

Old Cardinal
05-17-2005, 11:02 AM
Our Coach Sissy Lemons used a very balance philosophy at that ballgame skewed toward Gremillion, Godwin and others driving the ball out in the deep grass. Of course they(BC) bunted at very opportunistic times and therefore were quite successful in that endeavor. Maybe that is why that Sissy ended up at Nederland (a very rich local school) with a $11.000 raise which is quite a jump for a 24 year old ace Coach and prime past college Catcher. If you saw the game she controlled the outcome with excellent Coaching skills employed.
I think that had Sissy Lemons been the Coach at LaGrange she could have taken two of the Lep teams straight to the State Championship with what skilled girls she would have had to work with there.

hookandladder
05-17-2005, 01:41 PM
Our Coach Sissy Lemons used a very balance philosophy at that ballgame skewed toward Gremillion, Godwin and others driving the ball out in the deep grass. Of course they(BC) bunted at very opportunistic times and therefore were quite successful in that endeavor. Maybe that is why that Sissy ended up at Nederland (a very rich local school) with a $11.000 raise which is quite a jump for a 24 year old ace Coach and prime past college Catcher. If you saw the game she controlled the outcome with excellent Coaching skills employed.
I think that had Sissy Lemons been the Coach at LaGrange she could have taken two of the Lep teams straight to the State Championship with what skilled girls she would have had to work with there.

So she had 2 major college bound players on her team and she could not win State, but you think she could have taken a team with no major college bound players and won State. So how many State Championships or apperances in State Tournaments have you or Sissy been involved in. Could I possibly guess the correct answer. Weather you beleive it or not, it not only takes a great team to reach State. It also takes some Breaks to go your way. What did you call it ( Mistakes)

Old Cardinal
05-17-2005, 02:05 PM
Hey Coach, Give Sissy some time, she is new to Texas SB, she turned Nederland around the very first year and had she not had 4 late season injuries to key players, would have done much better. Who says that LaGrange did not have All-State caliber players? When Steve Dunn and this trade-off clique that puts their own players on the All-State team first; there is not room for a whole lot of really quality players to be selected?

hookandladder
05-17-2005, 02:30 PM
Hey Coach, Give Sissy some time, she is new to Texas SB, she turned Nederland around the very first year and had she not had 4 late season injuries to key players, would have done much better. Who says that LaGrange did not have All-State caliber players? When Steve Dunn and this trade-off clique that puts their own players on the All-State team first; there is not room for a whole lot of really quality players to be selected?

First of all, I'am no coach just enjoy watching well coached Teams play ball. Also did not say anything about All State Players, LG has had some in recent years. Many players make All State Honors, that does not make them Major College Players as we talked about. You said BC had D1 players, thats what I was talking about. Maybe you don't know the difference between an All State Player and a D1 Player. All State Honors are great individual awards but they don't pay college tuition.

hookandladder
05-17-2005, 03:42 PM

First of all, I'am not a coach. I just enjoy watching well coached softball and baseball games. Also I did not say LG did not have All State caliber players. You said BC had Major College Players and thats what I was feferring to. All State honors are great individual awards but they do not pay college tuition. Maybe you are confused with the difference beween an All State Player and a D1 Player. A lot of player make All State Teams, but that does not make them a D1 Player or even a College Player. To play on the next Level takes a lot more than just making an All State Team. Real coaching is when you take teams to the playoffs year end and year out without All State Players. Sounds like a place ZZ Top
sings about.

mwynn05
05-17-2005, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by hookandladder
You must not be very knowledgeable of how most tight games are decided. In softball all it takes is one little bobble and the game is over. Just because you have 2 college bound players on the infield does not mean you are going to make every play. If you think it does, than I guess most college coaches play into each others hands. Maybe you need to go watch some higher caliber of softball and see how bunting is a major part of the game. Mistakes as you mention are referred to as Breaks, being aggressive and taking the game to your opponent is how you cause Breaks. He's right if you watch the softball college world series you will see what he's saying

BTEXDAD
05-17-2005, 03:59 PM
When Steve Dunn and this trade-off clique that puts their own players on the All-State team first; there is not room for a whole lot of really quality players to be selected?

not familiar with Steve Dunn, Cardinal. I know there is politics involved in all state teams (all district also for that matter)

Not to be a wise guy or to take sides with hook and ladder, Cardinal, because I think BC must be for real this year with the way they handled Shepherd, but I saw them play the warm up game against Brenham last year when they got beat like 12-2.
Brenham could and can still play small ball as well as anyone in the state, but it looked like BC had never even seen a bunt before that game. BC must have made 8-10 errors.
After seeing that game, I'd certainly suggest to La grange that they try a few bunts.

Old Cardinal
05-17-2005, 04:07 PM
And then again maybe I am not as confused and uninformed as you would like to be able to think!

I think that since our new Coach was a college coach for years before she moved down here when her husband accepted a transfer to this area that she is perfectly capable of understanding the various concepts of the bunt strategies.... Maybe even more than you do...

hookandladder
05-18-2005, 06:57 AM
And then again maybe I am not as confused and uninformed as you would like to be able to think!

I think that since our new Coach was a college coach for years before she moved down here when her husband accepted a transfer to this area that she is perfectly capable of understanding the various concepts of the bunt strategies.... Maybe even more than you do...

One thing is for sure, since she is a former college coach she will definitely be more knowledgeable of how the game is played. I'am sure we will not see your coach come on a web site and criticize and make such bold remarks about another Colleague as you did. It really shows the ignorance of a person who will sit behind a computer make the kind of remarks about the LG Coach. You obviously have never been between the lines or in the coaching box and to be put in a situation where you make the call or play to win or lose the game. It's really easy to sit up in the stands or behind a computer and start criticizing a coach. So next time you decide to criticize a coach, put yourself in his or her shoes and see how you would have responded in a split second.

LH Panther Mom
05-18-2005, 07:14 AM
http://users.telenet.be/eforum/emoticons4u/evil/2.gifhttp://users.telenet.be/eforum/emoticons4u/evil/2.gif

BTEXDAD
05-18-2005, 09:18 AM
Isn't this a great time of year? The competitive spirits come out in everyone.
Good luck to both LG and BC. I will try to make it there on saturday.

middleagecardinal
05-18-2005, 09:35 AM
BTEXDAD, Do you know Brahma73? He and I go back a couple of years. Maybe we'll get a chance to meet this weekend.

BTEXDAD
05-18-2005, 09:46 AM
yes, i do know Brahma73. I haven't been on downlow very long at least as far as posting.
I hadn't talked to him about my screen name, but he probably knows who I am just from comments.
I think he said he was gonna make the games also.