PhiI C
05-14-2005, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by pirate44
here are a couple i got fromthe Caller Times newspaper

FALFURRIAS 5, MATHIS 1

SINTON 12, HIDALGO 6
oops..i didnt read the thread where Phil C already posted these scores.:doh:
sorry GodFather

No problem! I have done the same thing myself. Probably good sometimes to repeat information since some of us might miss it the first time. :)

VWG
05-14-2005, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
last year 3A Lake Dallas eliminates Highland Park 2 games to none ... cool

Forney over Hillcrest 13-3, Lewisville Hebron next

That kid at Lake Dallas, Jericho Jones is a great baseball player.
He must have pitched in one of those games against Highland Park.

PhiI C
05-14-2005, 10:35 AM
Does anyone know the final score of Aransas Pass vs Port Isabel in game one. I know AP was leading 15 to 14 in the seventh but don't know the final result.

footballgal
05-15-2005, 11:09 PM
Here you go Mr. Phil, I didn't make the game as I was in Cotulla this weekend, but here is the write up for yesterday's game.

Next week 32aaa vs 32aaa PI takes on dist. runner-up, Hidalgo Pirates. Should be a good one, as PI went 1-1 in district play against the pirates, winning the last matchup.

Port Isabel completes sweep of Aransas Pass
BY MIKE GONZALEZ
The Brownsville Herald

KINGSVILLE — Less than 24 hours after Port Isabel recorded one of its most memorable comebacks ever, the Tarpons wasted no time and took it to Aransas Pass on Saturday afternoon.

The Tarpons (21-4) defeated the Panthers 13-1 in 5 innings in Game 2 to sweep the Class 3A area round best-of-three playoff series.

With the victory, Port Isabel advances to the regional quarterfinals for the second time in three seasons. Now the Tarpons face either Sinton or Hidalgo. Sinton won Game 1 of the series Friday night and Saturday’s games were late.

The momentum Port Isabel captured in its 16-15 come-from-behind win Friday night showed in the bats Saturday as the Tarpons smashed an astounding 15 hits as their defense, which made some mental mistakes in Game 1, had no errors in Game 2.

After being down 14-1 in the fifth inning Friday night, Port Isabel went on to outscore Aransas Pass 28-2 in the last eight innings of the series. This remarkable turnaround was thanks in large to the team responding to adversity.

"We just clicked all of sudden," said Saturday’s starting pitcher Lando Ochoa. "I think Friday’s loss put a dagger in us."

Ochoa (7-0) was on stride as he threw all five innings and gave up only one earned run, scattered seven hits and struck out five. The senior had total control of his pitches and his defense was there to back him up.

"I felt like throwing hard, and (catcher) Frankie Herrera and I communicated well," Ochoa said. "Can’t complain about a one-run game."

But it was the offense that set the tempo. Eight of the nine starters had at least one hit. Herrera was the only hitter that came out with a doughnut.

The meat of the lineup did major damage as Ochoa led the attack, going 3-for-3 with two doubles and two RBIs, while Esteban Delgadillo was 2-for-3 with a game-high four RBIs and three runs scored.

Senior Isiah Garza also gave the Tarpons a lift in the five-spot by going 3-for-3 with a walk along with three runs scored and an RBI. Garza, also a senior, said the bats were asleep early in Game 1 but woke up at the right time.

"Once we got going, we just kept going," Garza said. "We stayed confident at the plate and it carried on from the comeback."

The Tarpons drew first blood in the first inning Saturday as they took an early 3-0 lead with Carr Grienier (2-for-4, 3 RBIs) starting the fireworks on a single to center that drove in two runs. Garza scored the third run on a wild pitch.

That was all the cushion Port Isabel needed to advance to the next round. The closest the Panthers (13-10) got was 4-1 in the third inning on a RBI single by Steven Naranjo. The Tarpons then pulled away with five runs in the fourth and four more in the fifth frame.

Port Isabel coach Robert Holland had a simple game plan coming into Saturday — to jump on the Panthers early since they were shell-shocked. In fact, it was something the ninth-year skipper recognized before the game.

"I sensed it when they were warming up," Holland said. "I told the kids to jump on them early and not let them get any confidence back. The kids played their butts off since Friday night. I told them to enjoy it, but we have to be ready next week."

http://www.valleystar.com/sports_more.php?id=57920_0_12_0_M