PDA

View Full Version : Things Balance Out in the Long Run

Phil C
02-27-2003, 10:04 AM
You hate to see a game decided by a bad call or even a questionable call but it can't help but happen in most any sport and even replays on tv haven't always been conclusive. I know it isn't any consolation to anyone especially right after it has happened to you but I feel in the long run that things balance out. In other words the games you should have won but didn't will be offset eventually by the games you should have lost but didn't. For example in the early 70's Kingsville had a 7 point lead over Alice in football and it looked like they were going to have a big upset. This was in my college days when I lived in Kingsville. With about two minutes left Alice scored and went for two points. The running back hit the line and was tackled and as he fell forward it was obvious he wasn't going to make it across the goal but over the goal line was an offensive tackle all alone. As he was falling down (and bear in mind it was after he was hit and it wasn't the type of hit that caused a fumble but it did make him fall down) he fumbled (actually looked more like he pushed the ball forward) right where the offensive tackle was who easily fell on it and the refs gave them the two points (yes that is why I had the question on the other post :) ). That was the play that decided the game even though Alice scored 8 more points because since Kingsville was behind they had to go for the first down on fourth down deep in their territory since they were one point behind. Alice held and scored on the last play of the game but the two point conversion was a key factor in the game. I always felt that the refs gave it to Alice even though I know that maybe Alice would have got an onside kick and scored before the game ended anyway but I would have liked to have seen what would have happened if Alice hadn't been given the two point conversion. Anyway this was offset about 15 years later when Alice had a 7 point lead and Kingsville had the ball on the Alice 18 with time for one more play. The Kingsville player threw it to the end zone to his receiver but the Alice defender batted it up in the air. Another Kingsville receiver who was not the main target ran under the ball and caught it for the score. Kingsville made the two points and this time it was Alice's time to be upset at the end result. Poetic (In)Justice!