PDA

View Full Version : Lorena 2, Bellville 1 (8 innings)

Bellville22
05-13-2005, 12:19 AM
Lorena may show up tomorrow, smack the ball around, pitch well again, and take care of the Brahmas like everyone expected them to. But regardless of what happens tomorrow, the folks who traveled to Nelson Field in Austin were treated to one gem of a high school baseball game. Lorena came in highly tauted and looking to steamroll the Brahmas. Bellville came in relying on the left arm of their ace Lucas Luetge. When all was said and done, one or two plays, a few inches in a CF's stretch, a bounce here or there, and one run seperated the two. The Leopards took an emotional Game One 2-1 and sits in the driver's seat to advance to the next round, but it didn't come easy.

Bellville's Lucas Luetge, who has carried this team all year, reached deep into his bag of tricks to pull out one more amazing game. I've seen this guy throw many times, never have I seen him throw like he did tonight. He took a deadly Lorena line-up, filled with names like Hornung and Booker, and made them at times, quite frankly, look silly. He recorded 14 K's and allowed 4 hits in his 8 innings of work. Hornung was 1 for 4 on the night. Yes, the one was huge, but that's what players like him do, they find a mistake and make you pay. He struck out Booker three times. He was simply magnificent tonight. I can't explain what a joy it was to watch this young man pitch tonight. In probably his last start as a Brahma, he left everything on the mound, and gave his team everything he had to give them a chance to win the game. Hats off to this fine young man.

He was countered by Lorena's ace lefty, who was just as impressive. He held Bellville to 5 or 6 hits, struck out around 12, and pitched out of several key situations. He, too, went the full 8, and he, too, deserves all the credit in the world for his effort.

Just a tremendous duel between two of the top left-handed 3A pitchers in the state!

Quick recap of the sideshow that was the game....

Bellville scores 1 in top of first on Luetge's double and Pawlawski's single. Score remains that until top of 6th. Hornung reaches on error, advances to 2nd on wild pitch. Lorena's 5-hole hitter delivers his second hit of the night, a two-out RBI single to tie the game (This was the guy we shoulda walked). Top 8 Hornung hits two-out double to plate the go ahead run. Bellville leaves runners on 1st and 2nd to end the game. What a game! Play of the game took place in the Bottom of the 8th, with one out and runner on first, Bellville's Luetge hits line drive into the right-center gap. The ball hangs just long enough for the Leopard CF to track it down and make a diving catch. Would have tied the game, unbelievable catch!

SintonFan
05-13-2005, 12:31 AM
Let's go Brahmas!!!!!
Get two straight now and go to the regionals!:clap: :clap: :clap:

BTEXDAD
05-13-2005, 08:41 AM
thanks for recap, Bellville22.
Whatever happens in remainder of series and season, Bellville boys can be proud of their accomplishments this year after losing first 7-8 games of season and being written off by many before district ever started.

CheerMom
05-13-2005, 08:53 AM
Good Luck, Brahmas!!! Bring home a win for D20!!:cheerl: :cheerl: :cheerl:

pirate4state
05-13-2005, 08:54 AM
Great write up 22!! :clap: Sorry about the loss, but hopefully Bellville can turn it around today. :thumbsup: Good Luck Brahmas!! :cheerl:

rhs78
05-13-2005, 10:39 AM
great writeup B-22, souds like the brahmas gave them all they wanted, give'm heck and take the next two.

CheerMom
05-13-2005, 10:40 AM
Bellville 22 never disappoints us with his insight. Keep up the great work!!:D

strike hard
05-13-2005, 11:02 AM
What time is the game today?

Bull's-eye
05-13-2005, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by CheerMom

You can say that again! One of the best, if not the best, posters on 3A Down Low.

Brahma73
05-13-2005, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by CheerMom

That's my boy!:)

KL3
05-13-2005, 12:27 PM
Not only 2 of the best lefties, but they could easily be 2 of the best 4-5 pitchers in 3A.

Game Friday is at 7 p.m.

Bellville22
05-13-2005, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by KL3
Not only 2 of the best lefties, but they could easily be 2 of the best 4-5 pitchers in 3A.

Thank-you 'KL3'! That was supposed to be my next line, but at 12:30 am after the long ride home I wasn't all there.

Bellville will see another great arm tonight, Hornung from what I hear, also tops out around 90ish. The Bulls are certainly big underdogs tonight, but there's a reason they play the games. Best of luck to the Brahmas! One game at a time!

Bull's-eye
05-13-2005, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Brahma73
That's my boy!:)

You did a great job! I keep telling him he should be a sports writer.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
05-13-2005, 04:50 PM
Hey Bull's Eye, are you going to Columbus?

coach_09
05-13-2005, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the recap Bellville 22. But I could have done without the comment about walking the batter who got a hit. If you are a true Bellville fan(and a future coach), you would not second guess the coach.

Bellville22
05-13-2005, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by coach_09
Thanks for the recap Bellville 22. But I could have done without the comment about walking the batter who got a hit. If you are a true Bellville fan(and a future coach), you would not second guess the coach.

Let me clarify...

This whole week several people have commented on how Bellville (or anyone for that matter) should walk Hornung. It kinda turned into a joke. My comment about walking the other guy was simply poking fun at those comments on the other thread, not to second guess Bellville's coach. You obviously know who I am, so you should know that I have great respect for Bellville's coach, and enjoyed very much playing for him. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Bellville22
05-14-2005, 03:01 PM
Bellville's season came to an end last night. Congrats to the boys on a great turnaround. This team only had 2 wins before district play begin. Great job turning it around guys!

BrahmaMom
05-16-2005, 05:32 PM
Thanks for the great summary, 22. 73, you have every reason to be proud! Brahmas, congratulations on a wonderful season played with tremendous heart! Lucas, you gave it your all, sounds like you went out of Bellville with the game of your life! You have set the standard high for the coming athletes; this team that wasn't supposed to be became the little team that could! I am so proud of you guys. To the seniors, best of luck in the next chapter of your lives. You have learned many life lessons on the baseball field, and they will serve you well. Once again, Bellville is proud of those who represented them--thanks, guys. For those returning next year, you know what it takes, start preparing next week!

Brahma73
05-16-2005, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Bellville22
Let me clarify...

This whole week several people have commented on how Bellville (or anyone for that matter) should walk Hornung. It kinda turned into a joke. My comment about walking the other guy was simply poking fun at those comments on the other thread, not to second guess Bellville's coach. You obviously know who I am, so you should know that I have great respect for Bellville's coach, and enjoyed very much playing for him. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

...but when he is coaching, he'll walk the stick and pitch to the lefty his pitcher has owned that day.;)

Bull's-eye
05-17-2005, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by coach_09

I disagree, this forum is for us fans to express our views. Just because we disagree doesn't mean we aren't true fans. Coaches aren't always right, sometimes they gamble and it doesn't pay off. Bellville22 is one of the most loyal of all the Bellville fans and has the right to express his opinion. On this certain play, I would of walked the batter.

I went to the Cowboys/Giants game last year, Parcells decides to go for it on 4th down. Dallas was on their side of the 50 yard line. The Giants stopped the Cowboys and then go into score. In my opinion, this was a bad decision and the turning point of the game. You won't find too many Cowboy fans more true and loyal than me! :D