PDA

View Full Version : San Antonio could get NFL team

pirate44
05-12-2005, 10:19 AM
Attorney: Benson may move Saints

NEW ORLEANS, La. (AP) - An attorney for New Orleans Saints owner Tom Benson told a newspaper that Benson is interested in moving the football team out of Louisiana and possibly to San Antonio, Albuquerque, N.M., or Los Angeles.

Benson already has implicitly threatened to move the NFL franchise when discussing negotiations with the State of Louisiana over the Saints' Louisiana Superdome lease.
He said last year that the state could accept his stadium proposals or "tell us to leave."

But Benson has declined to comment specifically about what his options would be if he left New Orleans.

On Wednesday, the San Antonio Express-News quoted Benson attorney and friend Stanley Rosenberg as saying that Benson has a strong interest in moving the Saints out of New Orleans and is considering invoking an exit clause in his lease with the Louisiana Superdome after the 2005 season.

"Tom has a house in San Antonio, a ranch in San Antonio and business interests in San Antonio," Rosenberg said. "He likes San Antonio very much."

Last month, Benson broke off lease negotiations with the state, saying he preferred to wait until after the 2005 season to resume talks. Under the current lease, the Saints will have 90 days after next season to inform the state of their intentions to stay or leave. If Benson leaves, he would have to repay the state about $81 million in cash subsidies he has received since the current lease took effect in 2001.

Benson initially asked for a new stadium but said he would settle for a renovated Superdome along with a package of cash subsidies and other incentives. The state has offered to renovate the dome but has asked Benson to pay part of the cost and to accept lower cash subsidies than he currently receives once the renovation is complete.

Saints officials did not immediately respond when called about Rosenberg's comments on Wednesday. A message left at Rosenberg's San Antonio law office, seeking further comment, was not returned.

Rosenberg told the newspaper he's received several offers from parties interested in either buying the Saints or persuading Benson to move the team. One offer exceeded $1 billion, Rosenberg said.

"Tom has many alternatives when it comes to the Saints and he has received many different offers, including one from Los Angeles," Rosenberg told the newspaper.

Rosenberg said he met last week with representative of New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson about the possibility of the Saints moving to Albuquerque.

"They have an interest, a real interest, in having a National Football League team," Rosenberg said. He said Richardson's representatives already have requested a follow-up meeting.

On Tuesday, Anaheim officials unveiled plans for a football stadium near the home of the baseball Angels that could house an NFL franchise by 2008. Anaheim is one of four sites in the greater Los Angeles area being considered for an NFL franchise. The others are the Los Angeles Coliseum, the Rose Bowl in Pasadena and a proposed stadium in Carson.

The Los Angeles area has been without an NFL franchise since the Rams left Anaheim for St. Louis and the Raiders left Los Angeles for Oakland before the 1995 season.

Phil C
05-12-2005, 10:27 AM
San Antonio would have to build a big stadium though to get it.

District303aPastPlayer
05-12-2005, 10:27 AM
i like this idea... the San Antonio Saints... has a ring to it dont ya think

pirate44
05-12-2005, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
San Antonio would have to build a big stadium though to get it.
dont you think a few renovations to the Alamodome would be enough. especially with a sweet lease deal?

pirate4state
05-12-2005, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by pirate44
dont you think a few renovations to the Alamodome would be enough. especially with a sweet lease deal? I was thinking the same thing. :thinking:

District303aPastPlayer
05-12-2005, 10:32 AM
dont you think a few renovations to the Alamodome would be enough. especially with a sweet lease deal?

how many does it seat for a football game, such as the HS All American Bowl..

pirate44
05-12-2005, 10:34 AM
i wonder if the Cowboy faithful in san antonio would support a local team. san antonio is definately a football deprived and football crazy town.

pirate44
05-12-2005, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
how many does it seat for a football game, such as the HS All American Bowl..
i think its about 65,000 seating

District303aPastPlayer
05-12-2005, 10:35 AM
i think its about 65,000 seating

not half bad..

pirate44
05-12-2005, 10:40 AM
permanently domed stadiums are definately dated. seems everyone wants a hard top convertible to play in. it would be cool if the alamodome in its current location was a retractible roof stadium though.

Bandera YaYa
05-12-2005, 11:20 AM
permanently domed stadiums are definately dated. seems everyone wants a hard top convertible to play in. it would be cool if the alamodome in its current location was a retractible roof stadium though. funny.....I thought football was played on the ground........geezzzzzzzzzz :rolleyes:

pirate44
05-12-2005, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
funny.....I thought football was played on the ground........geezzzzzzzzzz :rolleyes:
ok, you lost me:confused:

District303aPastPlayer
05-12-2005, 11:26 AM
seems everyone wants a hard top convertible to play in.

seems like mike siad they want to play in a car

pirate44
05-12-2005, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
seems like mike siad they want to play in a car
that was just an intentional play on words.

BullFrog Dad
05-12-2005, 11:31 AM
permanently domed stadiums are definately dated. seems everyone wants a hard top convertible to play in. it would be cool if the alamodome in its current location was a retractible roof stadium though. I hope SA gets the Saints but what will hurt their chances is the luxury box situation. If Anaheim has yet to build their stadium you can bet they'll outdo the competition as far as LBs.

big daddy russ
05-12-2005, 11:38 AM
The Alamodome was actually designed to be a football stadium, not a hoops arena, so it would be a great fit for a football team... at least on a temporary basis.

SintonFan
05-12-2005, 12:49 PM
San Antonio has been working on a multi-million dollar upgrade of the existing "luxury boxes". This in a crappy attempt to lure a Major League Soccer team there.:rolleyes: :o
I'd love to have the Saints in SA.

Astrosdawg07
05-12-2005, 12:50 PM
http://www.sanantonio.gov/dome/images/Footballnew/S144R16S12.jpg