PDA

View Full Version : Court weighs tuition breaks for illegal immigrants

lepfan
05-11-2005, 09:50 AM
I hope I am understanding this....This is hard to take when a middle class family has to pay full tuition rates that are on the rise... Many legal citizens can not attend college because of the rising costs!!! It appears Texas has interest in the decision made in Kansas.
May 11, 2005, 8:30AM

Court weighs tuition breaks for illegal immigrants
Associated Press

TOPEKA, Kan. — A federal judge heard arguments challenging a Kansas law that grants tuition breaks to some illegal immigrants — a case closely watched by eight other states with similar laws.

Lawyers for six parents and 18 students argued Tuesday that the Kansas statute violates federal immigration laws designed to prevent states from giving such tuition breaks.

Texas, California, Illinois, New Mexico, New York, Oklahoma, Utah and Washington have laws similar to Kansas'. If Kansas' law is struck down, other states' statutes could be in jeopardy, said Peter Roos, an attorney representing two Hispanic groups helping defend the law.

"It is perceived, accurately, as a test case," said Kris Kobach, the attorney for the students challenging the statute. "It's the first test in federal court of whether these laws can stand."

U.S. Senior District Judge Richard Rogers said he would not rule at least until late May.

In Kansas, illegal immigrants who wish to qualify for the program must have attended a Kansas high school for at least three years and graduated or earned a general education development certificate in Kansas. Also, they must actively be seeking legal immigration status or plan to do so when they are eligible.

Under the two 1996 federal laws, states can grant such tuition breaks — if they're not based on residency and only if such breaks are available to other U.S. citizens.

Mike Delaney, an attorney representing the state, said Kansas law is written carefully enough to avoid violating the federal statutes. But Kobach said the state's reading of the law would create a "giant semantic loophole" and subvert congressional intent.

Supporters of the Kansas law, which took effect July 1, 2004, argue that many immigrants affected by it have attended school or lived in Kansas for years. If it is struck down, "It's almost a knee-capping, a destruction, of the life chances of these kids," said Roos.

Critics contend the law rewards individuals and families who are violating federal immigration laws. Some students who sued the state were in the courtroom Tuesday and said it's unfair to give the tuition break to illegal immigrants but not to legal residents of other states.

"I know the world's not fair but the world shouldn't violate the law," said Chris Heath, a senior at the University of Kansas.

spiveyrat
05-11-2005, 10:53 AM
:crazy: cukoo... cukoo...

lepfan
05-11-2005, 11:41 AM
It makes you wonder if the hike in tuition is taking care of the illegal immigrant tuition break...:thinking:

JasperDog94
05-11-2005, 12:22 PM
Why can't our politicians pull their heads out? (All of them.):(

SPF25
05-11-2005, 01:00 PM
:mad: :foul: I cant believe this! What about all of the people IN the US that want to attend college but fall between the cracks.

pirate44
05-11-2005, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by SPF25
:mad: :foul:
:eek: and you kiss your husband with that mouth??!!

SPF25
05-11-2005, 01:10 PM
ALL THE TIME!:kiss:

scrub c
05-11-2005, 01:16 PM
key word:

ILLEGAL

i guess i just dont get it. . .

44INAROW
05-11-2005, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by scrub c
key word:

ILLEGAL

AMEN :doh:

LH Panther Mom
05-11-2005, 01:21 PM
If I understand the current law correctly, at least what is here, while it does grant a tuition break to illegal immigrants, there are stipulations attached to that and the break must also be given to US citizens.

In Kansas, illegal immigrants who wish to qualify for the program must have attended a Kansas high school for at least three years and graduated or earned a general education development certificate in Kansas. Also, they must actively be seeking legal immigration status or plan to do so when they are eligible.

Under the two 1996 federal laws, states can grant such tuition breaks — if they're not based on residency and only if such breaks are available to other U.S. citizens.

If tuition hike is covering the breaks allowed, then the law definitely needs to be looked at. Personally, I have more of a problem with the tuition covering an exhorbitant professor's salary, while in many cases a TA is actually teaching the majority of the class.

LH Panther Mom
05-11-2005, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by scrub c
key word:

ILLEGAL

I completely agree with that.

lepfan
05-11-2005, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Personally, I have more of a problem with the tuition covering an exhorbitant professor's salary, while in many cases a TA is actually teaching the majority of the class.

I agree with this too! It is sort of like paying a doctor who you never knew existed...only because they watched your surgery.