PDA

View Full Version : UT Rowing Ladies do well!

Phil C
05-11-2005, 09:18 AM
Besides doing well in rowing (winning the Big 12 Championship) they also do well in the classroom. Junior Vanessa Canac earned the Marving Wright Engineering Athlete Award boasting a 3.6 GPA; senior Karen Glazebrook was recently accepted to graduate school at the University of Saskatchewan where she will continue her studies in human behavior; senior Danielle Kowalski accepted a five month internship position at the Late Show with David Letterman: senior Pam Painter received the 2005 Carol May and James C. Thompson Scholarship in physics: and junior Kakey Porter eared the 2005 Vance L. Stickell Memorial as one of the top 10 advertizing students in the nation.

Congratulations Ladies and Good Luck! We are proud of you!!

BTEXDAD
05-11-2005, 10:01 AM
How do you know so much, Phil?
I honestly learn more from reading your threads than I do from all the sports pages I read.

sahen
05-11-2005, 11:33 PM
seriously phil....winning the big 12 championship...how many schools actually compete in rowing in the big 12? my guess is 4 at the most.....i could be completely wrong...

jason
05-11-2005, 11:37 PM
http://img166.echo.cx/img166/6185/lame7ep.gif

sahen
05-12-2005, 12:03 AM
sry i was wrong....only 3 big 12 schools compete....texas, kansas, and kansas st..

mwynn05
05-12-2005, 12:07 AM
Do they all have womens programs?

sahen
05-12-2005, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by mwynn05
Do they all have womens programs?
yes its all 3 womens...my guess there isnt any male college rowing teams in the big 12....its to equal out for title IX is my guess....

PhiI C
05-12-2005, 12:39 AM
Well it is up to the schools whether they want a rowing team or not! Way to go Lady Horns! Big 12 Champions as shown on the official Big 12 Web Site! :)

LH Panther Mom
05-12-2005, 05:31 AM
I know UT has a rowing team, but I don't think they call it that and have no idea with whom they compete.

Phil C
05-12-2005, 09:04 AM
I think that UT has only had a rowing team for a few years now. They are currently ranked No. 15 in the Country. They got 17th place last year at the NCAA Championship. Not bad for a fairly new program.

Phil C
05-12-2005, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I know UT has a rowing team, but I don't think they call it that and have no idea with whom they compete.

Their web site calls them the University of Texas women's rowing team. They compete in several events throughout the year. It is mainly with schools from California and Florida and others along the east coast. The University of Michigan is ranked No. 1 this year I think in rowing.

Phil C
05-12-2005, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by BTEXDAD
How do you know so much, Phil?
I honestly learn more from reading your threads than I do from all the sports pages I read.

Thank you BT. It is probably just due to age and experience plus some luck at finding things. I know that some things I post are not of interest to everyone but I consider this web site to be a service to all and if just one person is interested in it it makes the thread worth while. I don't care much for gymnastics but if I find out the results I will post it even if it is just beneficial to one person who may not even post but just reads the downlow.

LH Panther Mom
05-12-2005, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
Their web site calls them the University of Texas women's rowing team. They compete in several events throughout the year. It is mainly with schools from California and Florida and others along the east coast. The University of Michigan is ranked No. 1 this year I think in rowing.

Sorry, I should've been more specific....I meant men's instead of women's. :)

Phil C
05-12-2005, 10:19 AM
Sorry. No the NCAA doesn't have a men's rowing sport like they do for the women. However, I think in men's rowing there are several schools that compete with other other in California and the North East even though the NCAA doesn't sponsor any national championship for them. I knew that our men's rowing team competes in the Olympics.

sahen
05-13-2005, 02:11 AM
I believe the men have a club level rowing team in college called "Crew".....i know at baylor we have the "Baylor Crew" and i think they row, they could sail though....im not sure however Crew isnt a specific baylor name, its used at other schools as their Crew club rows or sails....but i think it is row....

AggieJohn
05-13-2005, 02:35 AM
we have a thing at A&M called the wrecking crew, does that count

neck_06
05-13-2005, 09:43 AM
YEAH!!!!!!!!!!

Go Rowing Team!!!!!!!!!

ROW THAT BOAT, ROW THAT BOAT, ROW IT ROW IT, RAH RAH RAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!