PDA

View Full Version : It's Paris, France

Phil C
05-10-2005, 09:10 AM
who will get the 2012 Olympic Games.

Phil C
05-10-2005, 09:12 AM
It hasn't officially been announced yet but that is where it seems to be leading with London a close second but there is no prize for second place here other than maybe in the future they might award it too you but I doubt if anytime soon because they like to move around.

pirate44
05-10-2005, 09:15 AM
i know its not supposed to be about money, but anywhere other than the U.S. will be a financial disaster. no country can provide the money, security and MARKETING that the U.S. and even New York can.

Phil C
05-10-2005, 09:16 AM
I agree Pirate! New York would have been ready.

Manck
05-10-2005, 10:42 AM
Having visited both London and Paris during the push for the Olympic bid, I would have personally chosen London.

The public transportation is far more efficient, and the city itself is far cleaner, and stadium preparations are already underway. Wembley should be done in time for the FA Cup final next May. That's a big point of national pride over there.

Paris has a big, pretty radio tower. It also smells. And the public transportation system is nearly worthless, as there's a Metro stop every 300 yards. Which means it's almost faster to walk across town in some instances. And it's all in French. And I lost my passport there. And I nearly got mugged there. So that's a bunch of big points to detract.

New York just seems too big. London is quite a large city as well, but it's not nearly as daunting and intimidating to get around. Plus, the USA has had the Olympics more often than any other country in a very disproportionate way in the last few years (Lake Placid '80, LA '84, Atlanta '96, Salt Lake '02) 4 in the last 25 years, where no other country has had more than 2 since 1968.

Oh well, I guess my vote doesn't count, so I will shut up.