PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

bmbf_06
05-10-2005, 08:51 AM
Ok, here's the situation.....
Pretend that you are the Principal at the school--
You have a student that has anger problems and has had a few social problems in school-- one day, a student is heckling him and he states, "I'm going to bring a gun to school and shoot you."
The teacher immediately writes him up and sends him to the office.

Now, knowing of this child's anger problems, what would you do in this situation??

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
05-10-2005, 08:53 AM
The same thing. A gun threat in school is a major concern. Actions need to be taken, because he could possibly be a threat to himself and other students. The students at the school's safety needs to be maintained, so the teacher did the right thing.

bmbf_06
05-10-2005, 08:55 AM
What would you do as the principal?

Phil C
05-10-2005, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
The same thing. A gun threat in school is a major concern. Actions need to be taken, because he could possibly be a threat to himself and other students. The students at the school's safety needs to be maintained, so the teacher did the right thing.

I agree but action also needs to be taken with the heckler.

LH Panther Mom
05-10-2005, 08:59 AM
Regardless of the child's previous anger issues, threats of violence are against the law. I would call the sheriff's dept to have them handle the situation.

LH Panther Mom
05-10-2005, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
I agree but action also needs to be taken with the heckler.

Without knowing exactly what was said, I would tend to disagree.

Black_Magic
05-10-2005, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by bmbf_06
[COLOR=deeppink]Ok, here's the situation.....
Pretend that you are the Principal at the school--
You have a student that has anger problems and has had a few social problems in school-- one day, a student is heckling him and he states, "I'm going to bring a gun to school and shoot you."
The teacher immediately writes him up and sends him to the office.

Now, knowing of this child's anger problems, what would you do in this situation?? Call the police, suspend him from school for 3 days, and alow him to see a counselor during the suspension. a threat is a threat and it must be taken seriously for the safety of all the other students and teachers. also a lesson should be learned by the kid that you cant talk about killing people .

AP Panther Fan
05-10-2005, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Regardless of the child's previous anger issues, threats of violence are against the law. I would call the sheriff's dept to have them handle the situation.

I agree 100%! The police should be called and this instance documented. This child should have to take anger management. I would probably also place him/her in AEP to separate them from the general school population until some of the issues are worked out.

pirate44
05-10-2005, 09:11 AM
i wonder what would happen if the tables were turned and the teacher threatened shooting the student. im sure the teacher would be fired on the spot. i think the same should be done to the student. kick him out of that particular school permanently and banned from any campus or property of that school district. you guys are right in saying this shouldnt be taken lightly, and a few days suspension IS taking it lightly. cheating on a test or smoking in the boys room is one thing, threatening murder is totally different. The problem is, i can imagine a lawsuit brought about by the ACLU.

pirate4state
05-10-2005, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by bmbf_06
What would you do as the principal? Is this just a "what if" question or did something happen that you didn't agree with? :confused:

Phil C
05-10-2005, 09:17 AM
Some of you seem to be overlooking the heckler. Things like that can cause trouble.

Phil C
05-10-2005, 09:19 AM
I remember years ago in high school a math teacher (and we all knew he was joking plus he was a great teacher) said that they should allow teachers to shoot a student when he or she doesn't do his work as he/she is capable. No one took it seriously and it wasn't reported. No adverse reaction ever happened either. But that was different times then I guess.

Phil C
05-10-2005, 09:20 AM
Back then also you could leave slide rules (equilent to today's calculators somewhat) or books in the hallways and go to lunch and they would be there when you got back. Of course that was in a small town though.

pirate44
05-10-2005, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by pirate44
i wonder what would happen if the tables were turned and the teacher threatened shooting the student. im sure the teacher would be fired on the spot. i think the same should be done to the student. kick him out of that particular school permanently and banned from any campus or property of that school district. you guys are right in saying this shouldnt be taken lightly, and a few days suspension IS taking it lightly. cheating on a test or smoking in the boys room is one thing, threatening murder is totally different. The problem is, i can imagine a lawsuit brought about by the ACLU.

i read the scenario wrong. i thought he was threatening a teacher. but i stand by the idea of kicking the student out of school

FbCoachB40
05-10-2005, 09:31 AM
BMBF_06,

If you have a problem with the way things were handled then take it up with your DAD or your friends dad (I am not quite sure who you are either BM or CM). Do not start somehting on this web page that could cause problems at YOUR school. I am glad to see that you guys are willing to act harsely and quickly on a situation such as this.

lepfan
05-10-2005, 09:35 AM
If the principal does not call in all proper officials and take this serious AND somewhere down the road this kid acts on his anger...the principal can be held accountable. The same goes for child abuse. As an employee of the education system if you suspect or have been told of any abuse or threatened (to any degree) you are ethically responsible to call the proper officials. Always report up....if your supervisor or those ahead of you choose to do nothing then they are now the ones held accountable if something/someone goes off!

LH Panther Mom
05-10-2005, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
Some of you seem to be overlooking the heckler. Things like that can cause trouble.

Regardless of what the heckler hypothetically said, no amount of heckling warrants a response of "I am going to bring a gun to school and shoot you".

lepfan
05-10-2005, 09:39 AM
"I am going to bring a gun to school and shoot you".

I would pretty much take this for what it is....A THREAT...be it a serious threat or a joking threat......it is still a THREAT. I take those things serious. I tell you educators need hazard pay. :)

bmbf_06
05-10-2005, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Is this just a "what if" question or did something happen that you didn't agree with? :confused:

well, we had a threat earlier last week at our school and i just wondered what other people would do in this situation just to see how it differed from the actual outcome of this issue

Phil C
05-10-2005, 05:42 PM
Regardless of what the heckler hypothetically said, no amount of heckling warrants a response of "I am going to bring a gun to school and shoot you".

I agree but the heckler still should be investigated is my point.

Gobbla2001
05-10-2005, 05:47 PM
The heckler should be told to 'be nice' maybe, but any other actions above normal shouldn't be taken, it is not the hecklers mouth that uttered the thread, that person is responsible for their own actions...

Now... What would I do?

I'd call the police and let them handle it... that is if he didn't have a family member in Iraq... if one of his family members were in Iraq I'd let him do whatever he wanted to...

LH Panther Mom
05-10-2005, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
that is if he didn't have a family member in Iraq... if one of his family members were in Iraq I'd let him do whatever he wanted to...

LOL

AP Panther Fan
05-10-2005, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by FbCoachB40
BMBF_06,

If you have a problem with the way things were handled then take it up with your DAD or your friends dad (I am not quite sure who you are either BM or CM). Do not start somehting on this web page that could cause problems at YOUR school. I am glad to see that you guys are willing to act harsely and quickly on a situation such as this.

Well bmbf_06...it might be best for you and others involved to "let it go". FbCoachB40 is right about the fact that maybe you shouldn't want to cause any problems for yourself or say anything that might cause others to view your school in a different light. JMHO :)

LH Panther Mom
05-10-2005, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
Well bmbf_06...it might be best for you and others involved to "let it go". FbCoachB40 is right about the fact that maybe you shouldn't want to cause any problems for yourself or say anything that might cause others to view your school in a different light. JMHO :)

Very good point. I'm thinking that since she didn't specify what resulted from the situation, nor express an opinion on the outcome, she handled it pretty well. :) (JMHO as well)

AP Panther Fan
05-10-2005, 06:02 PM
she handled it pretty well.

:thumbsup:

lepfan
05-10-2005, 06:21 PM
My son was in junior high (this being just after the Columbine incident) and SAID the word bomb....honestly, that is how the discipline referral was written!(I still have a copy of it) He spent a couple of days in ISS. Now that is what I call over reacting a bit....A couple of the teachers had to show a little power---

AggieJohn
05-10-2005, 11:08 PM
you send him to the office, it sends a message to him and the rest of the school

bmbf_06
05-11-2005, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by FbCoachB40
BMBF_06,

[COLOR=deeppink]I have no problem with the way things were taken care of-- i think it was handled very well--

bmbf_06
05-11-2005, 08:23 AM
i'm sorry if this thread caused some problems to anyone, i didnt really mean to start anything.....but i just wondered what others would have done in this situation--i thought it was harmless, but obviously others think differently.....