PDA

View Full Version : NFL tell 49ers Coach he cant wear suit on sideline

TheDOCTORdre
05-09-2005, 04:32 PM
49ERS NOTEBOOK
NFL says Nolan cannot 'suit' up
Kevin Lynch

Sunday, May 8, 2005

Coach Mike Nolan recently petitioned the NFL to allow him to wear a suit on the sidelines during game days.

"To me, it's professional. I think it's respectful," Nolan said. "There was certainly no deal, no one came to me, there was nothing to gain. I wasn't trying to put the spotlight on me. But what I was trying to say, there's somebody in charge and this is what they look like."

The league turned Nolan down. Head coaches must wear the NFL-sanctioned team garb.

"There were marketing issues and sales issues, all that stuff," Nolan lamented. Beyond wanting to look the part of a man in charge, Nolan also viewed it as a tribute to his father, Dick, who was the coach of the 49ers from 1968-75.

"I must say looking at the pictures of my dad -- they are all around my office -- I thought, 'I'm going to do that.' But they are not going to let me."

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2005/05/08/SPGDCCLVFJ1.DTL

LH Panther Mom
05-09-2005, 04:36 PM
That is a crock!

PurpleFreddy
05-09-2005, 04:52 PM
He should do it anyway, and pay the fine. That's what L.C. Greenwood did every week when he wore his yellow high-tops back in the day with the Steel Curtain defense.

HighSchool Fan
05-09-2005, 04:54 PM
maybe he can wear a thong with the SF logo on it. i'm sure the guys in that area would like it.

Phil C
05-10-2005, 08:08 AM
Can you imagine Coach Tom Landry without his suit and hat at the games? :eek:

pirate44
05-10-2005, 08:25 AM
i think the suit looks sharp. i know id want to wear one. basketball's the same way. but if a baseball manager ever requests to wear a suit, i'd have to say no way.

Black_Magic
05-10-2005, 08:33 AM
I will bet before long they will let him and any other head coach do it. when it gets out it will make the leauge look bad.

jason
05-10-2005, 08:40 AM
couldnt the nfl get a suit made that has a small version of his team logo on it ???

mikecheck
05-10-2005, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by pirate44
i think the suit looks sharp. i know id want to wear one. basketball's the same way. but if a baseball manager ever requests to wear a suit, i'd have to say no way.

I have played this game at many different levels and have always had the opinion that it really looks stupid for the coaching staff to wear a baseball uniform. In minor league, you could have a player coach, but in the big show, I don't think so. It has always been tradition I know, but some older gentlemen just don't wear the uniform right. There are other Coach and Manager outfits they can wear, but not the same uniform as the guy in the batter's box. Even the base coaches can wear appropriate attire instead of the uniform. Just my opinion.

pirate44
05-10-2005, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by mikecheck
I have played this game at many different levels and have always had the opinion that it really looks stupid for the coaching staff to wear a baseball uniform. In minor league, you could have a player coach, but in the big show, I don't think so. It has always been tradition I know, but some older gentlemen just don't wear the uniform right. There are other Coach and Manager outfits they can wear, but not the same uniform as the guy in the batter's box. Even the base coaches can wear appropriate attire instead of the uniform. Just my opinion.
c'mon, Lasorda always looked ready to do a little pinch running at the drop of a hat. hehe.

spiveyrat
05-10-2005, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
Can you imagine Coach Tom Landry without his suit and hat at the games? :eek:

My thoughts exactly! Take that one step further... can you see Tom Landry in NFL sanctioned Cowboys garb? :rolleyes:

HighSchool Fan
05-10-2005, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by mikecheck
but some older gentlemen just don't wear the uniform right.

i really don't know if a guy looks good in a uniform or not, however, don't just say older gentlemen, look at cecil fielder or david wells.

pirate44
05-10-2005, 10:09 AM
baseball coaches look way better than if we were to see Van Gundy in a basketball uni or Tuna sporting helmet and shoulder pads.