PDA

View Full Version : 46 Year Old Rickey Henderson still playing ball

TheDOCTORdre
05-09-2005, 03:29 PM
Henderson to play for new independent league
Story Tools: Print Email
Associated Press
Posted: 1 hour ago

SAN DIEGO (AP) - Rickey Henderson is ready to run again.

Baseball's career leader in runs and stolen bases will play in the new independent Golden Baseball League this season, agreeing on Monday to join the San Diego Surf Dawgs.
The 46-year-old Henderson started the last two years with the Newark Bears of the independent Atlantic League. He finished 2003 with the Los Angeles Dodgers, playing in 30 games.

"He still hopes to play in the majors," agent Jeff Borris said. "He still feels that he can be competitive."

Borris said Henderson enjoyed his time with Newark, but the 10-time All-Star picked the Surf Dawgs because they're closer to his home in the Bay Area and he liked the San Diego area when he played for the Padres.

Henderson will make $3,000 a month in salary, and more with personal appearances for the team and league.

The Golden Baseball League is in its first season and will play games in California and Arizona. The Surf Dawgs open the season May 26 at Tony Gwynn Stadium, home of San Diego State. They started spring training Monday in Mesa, Ariz.

"I wanted to be a part of something special and contributing to the launch of a new league was very exciting to me," Henderson said in a statement. "I love playing this game and every spring training feels like the first."

Henderson scored 2,295 runs and stole 1,406 bases in his 25-year career in the big leagues. He had 3,055 hits and was the career leader in walks with 2,190 before Barry Bonds passed him.

Former major leaguer Terry Kennedy will manage the Surf Dawgs. There are eight teams in the GBL, including a club made up of Japanese players that will travel to all 90 of its games this season.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/3602924

HighSchool Fan
05-09-2005, 03:32 PM
Julio Franco is atleast 47 and is still playing for the Atlanta Braves.

pirate44
05-09-2005, 03:35 PM
Rickey is 46:eek: boy, does time fly by.

ej2525
05-09-2005, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
Julio Franco is atleast 47 and is still playing for the Atlanta Braves.

He is 47??? I thought that guy was like 147 yrs. old!! :eek:

Leopards,class of 75
05-09-2005, 05:16 PM
I am sure he still has good speed, this is really amazing that he still wants to play at the age of 46!