PDA

View Full Version : Rules Aim to Curb Steroid Use at Schools

jason
05-09-2005, 10:24 AM
Yahoo Story (http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=519&ncid=519&e=5&u=/ap/20050509/ap_on_re_us/high_school_steroids)

IRVINE, Calif. - California high school sports officials have approved three new regulations aimed at curbing steroid use among teen athletes, making it the first state in the nation to take such action.

The California Interscholastic Federation voted Friday to require parents, players and school officials to sign contracts promising that athletes won't use steroids; regulate what dietary supplements coaches can distribute to athletes; and require coaches to earn a certification that includes steroids-abuse education.

The new rules take effect this fall, though coaches have until 2008 to earn the certificate. The council, which oversees high school sports in California, decided against requiring mandatory drug testing.

The California Interscholastic Federation is the first U.S. high school sports organization to take action aimed at curbing steroid use, but other states may follow suit later this spring, said Roger Blake, the group's assistant executive director.

California lawmakers passed a measure last year that would have required students to pledge not to use performance-enhancing substances, but it was vetoed by Gov.
Arnold Schwarzenegger, a former "Mr. Universe." He said parts of the bill mistakenly focused on dietary supplements and not the more dangerous steroids.

Phil C
05-09-2005, 11:05 AM
Once again California takes the lead.

pirate44
05-09-2005, 11:09 AM
i may be confused, but it sounds like they are making the students "promise" not to use the stuff. now thats what i call groundbreaking legislation. next thing ya know they will make the students sign a contract stating they wont cheat on tests. am i missing something here?:confused:

LH Panther Mom
05-09-2005, 11:13 AM
I think it's great they will require coaches to earn certification in steroid abuse education. Unfortunately, I don't see that signing a piece of paper is going to stop the abuse.

LH Panther Mom
05-09-2005, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by pirate44
am i missing something here?:confused:

It's California.... ;)

Phantom Stang
05-09-2005, 11:14 AM
"Feel good" legislation, plain, pure, and simple.

pirate44
05-09-2005, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
It's California.... ;)
:doh: now THAT makes sense

AP Panther Fan
05-09-2005, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
"Feel good" legislation, plain, pure, and simple.

I agree with ya...big darn deal!:mad:

I guess it is a start, just not something "earth shaking" as you might expect in California.:rolleyes: