PDA

View Full Version : OK Heres the College situation....

NHSRattler60
05-08-2005, 11:32 PM
Until recently, my mind was made up. But here's the situation and why you are waiting for an answer.

I have 3 options, 4 if you count Blinn Junior College.

Texas State University- San Marcos (Formely SWT)
Sam Houston State University- Huntsville
Hardin Simmons University.-Abilene
Blinn- Brenham/Bryan

Heres whats goin Down. I had Sam Houston Nailed down as to where I wanted to go starting off because its close, its a good school and I know people who go there.

-Hardin Simmons is offering 2,000 dollars a year for my "Outstanding Achievements" and a sure spot on the football team. Only thing with that is, its 6 hours away, its a private school so none of my credits really transfer, and it is extremely expensive. then again my expected family help is 0 in the terms of financial aid so I may be good there.
---The major problem I have though is the fact that Hardin Simmons requires you to go to church and stuff like that. I'd go to church anyway, but I think that kind of thing is more of a choice and thats what college is, making your own decisions and doing what is best to ensure your education. So Maybe I take a sunday and study for an exam I may have on a monday. That's a problem isn't it. That and they require you to take religious studies...which sounds interesting, but once again it's a choice thing.

-Texas State is a good place, It's close to my sister who lives in Austin, so I have somewhere to live, only I can't get into the business college so it would take me an extra year because i missed deadline for it. (Procrasinator)

While Blinn is a good choice, in the long run, it would take me longer to get through college and I really don't need to go to JUCO because I know what I want to do and am very capable of achieving it in 4 years.

My Major Plan is to transfer to UT in 2 years, but that may change. If I like the college I go to I may stay. Thats why my Choice at first was Sam, but I'm having problems because my Application is missing my ACT scores, so I had to get those paid for. (I made a 25 on the ACT which is better than 91% of the people that took it.) I have no doubt I'll be accepted, but thats not my delimma.

Anyone who has anything to offer, I would appreciate it. This is a big decision and it will come down to me, but I need opinions please.

KTJ
05-09-2005, 12:04 AM
If you want to transfer into UT, you need hella good grades. I would suggest starting off at either ACC or a UT system school--like UTSA or UTA. People who go there and get good grades stand a better chance of getting into The University.

ACC is local and it's kinda easy and you'll get basics out of the way. Plus, if you go to ACC, you can take like UT Online courses which will look good in front of the committee. It also depends on which college you plan on transferring into, as some are harder to get into than others.

If you have any questions, just let me know.

big daddy russ
05-09-2005, 12:14 AM
$50,000 is a lot of money. You'll really start to grasp this when you begin paying off your college loans. If HSU is going to give you an education, especially one that's running tens of thousands more than $50K, take the money and run. From what I've seen of your options, that one looks like a winner... they're going to let you play college ball AND pay for your diploma. Not a bad way to do it.

Now if you're planning on going to UT, I'd start out at either a community college (ACC is right there in Austin... that's a good place to start) or a place where you're sure most of your credits will transfer. Remember, though, you can either pay $6,000 for your first two years of school with an easier slate or $20,000 with a much tougher schedule. If you're transferring anyways, I'd always recommend a JUCO or community college.

kepdawg
05-09-2005, 12:27 AM
If you are seriously planning on transfering to UT, go JUCO over the other options mentioned.

AggieJohn
05-09-2005, 01:40 AM
have a backup man i hear it's really hard to get in

ASUFrisbeeStud
05-09-2005, 04:38 AM
Well I don't know exactly what to tell you on the schools other than UT is extremely hard to transfer into, you have a much better chance at ACC or trying to get in now (or for next spring) but thats been mentioned. I have a good friend that plays football at HSU and he loves it but hes a different kind of guy than most, real class act. I would seriously consider what town you are going to be in too. Most people don't even think about that when deciding but I think it's really important, because I want to go to UT but personally I'm a west texas kid that really doesn't like Austin much and is much more at home in a town like Abilene or San Angelo, but thats just me. I've known some people that went to Texas State and everyone seems to have an extremely good time but as far as getting any educating done I'm not real sure, it's easy to get sucked into the beach. The best advice I can give is go with your gut.

HighSchool Fan
05-09-2005, 06:22 AM
it seems to me that HSU is the best choice. the only problem that i see is that you have a problem with requirements. your gonna be required to do a whole lot of things later in life that you don't want to do. you might as well get used to it now.

LH Panther Mom
05-09-2005, 06:31 AM
It sounds to me that you're wanting to go into a Business degree. If you're wanting to transfer to UT, the Business college is even tougher to get into than for other colleges. I have a friend whose son went that route. Freshman requirements are at least top 5% of your graduating class, rather than top 10% of other colleges, there is an interview process to go through plus a committee has to approve your admittance. I'm not sure the requirements for transferring in, but I'm sure it's equally as tough.

HSU is a good school and Abilene is a nice town. $2000 a year is a nice start, but it won't go very far toward the price you'll pay. If you qualify for lots of financial aid, it might be worth it though. FYI - financial aid isn't based on what family help you will be getting, but rather what amount your family could help with.

I'm sure TSU would give you a good education....I only know it's reputation as a "party" school.

I don't know enough about SHSU or even Blinn to comment. Blinn should easily get you into A&M's business school; but if UT is where you want to ultimately graduate from, KTJ's right - UTSA would be better. My son's best friend had those same intentions - starting out UTSA, then transferring after the first year. He liked it so much he's still there after 2 and most likely will continue until he graduates.

Best of luck in whatever you decide.

spiveyrat
05-09-2005, 06:46 AM
I agree with LHPM. $1000 per semester is probably only a drop in the bucket at a private school. Borrow as little money as you have to because this debt will likely be with you for 10-20 years! I'd suggest you get a job and try to "pay as you go" as much as you can. I know people my age (mid 30's) still paying on their college loans.

pirate44
05-09-2005, 07:40 AM
i think my brother's scholarship to St. Mary's law school was a couple thousand, and that was just a pittance compared to the rest of the tuition.

Z motion 10 out on 2
05-09-2005, 10:19 AM
Advice from a College Professor:

Ok I have a lot of college under my belt. I have attended Tarleton State, Tarrant County College, Vernon College, Midwestern State, Sam Houston, and Northcentral University. I have also visited Hardin Simmons on a football recruiting trip with my son last year. Also he went through a football camp there two years ago so I'm familiar with that particular college. Now I tell you this so that you know I have an informed opinion.

First things first, I'm assuming that HSU is the only place that you are considering playing football??? If this is true then know this...Very few young men get the chance to play college football. I'm talking very few. To play college ball there is a small window of opportunity because as you get older things in your life change. So if your heart is in football then this decision is made. Hardin-Simmons has one of the premier Division III football programs in the country. Over the course of your playing career (4 years at D-III, no redshirts) you will earn at least a minimum of a conference championship ring and all that going through that experience entails. Plus they have a JV so you should get playing time right away.

Abilene is a great town with plenty to do. If I can recall HSU requires their students to go to chapel 2 times a week. Learning about God is very important and developing that relationship will help you in all aspects of life. Remember that spiritual development is very important. So don't sweat the chapel service and like HighSchool Fan stated, get used to doing things that are required in life. HSU will give you a very good education though. They have quality professors that know their students and that means something.

The bad news out of Abilene is that being far away from home is hard. You will miss your parents and brothers and sisters if you have them. This is a big deal so know that you will sacrifice that being far away.

Ok on to Sam Houston. I'm and Alumni of Sam and spend a lot of time at the campus. Probably the prettiest campus of all the schools you mentioned. I'm a criminal justice guy so Sam was a perfect fit for me. I have no idea about their business program. Sam is a very good school and the location is great. They have a lot going on there all the time.

Blinn Junior College. This is the route I took. I earned an associates degree and that was like a spring board to get to the next level. It felt very good to earn even a 2 year degree and it gives you confidence to continue. Plus you never know what might happen in life and if you can at least get an Associate of Arts or Science (Basics Degree) you will have something that can never be taken away. Also it will be much cheaper and you will get to know your professors. I have no idea about how the transferability is into UT though?

If you really want a UT degree then I would give the same advice that ASUFrisbeeStud gave. Go to ACC first and just keep trying to get into UT.

So my advice is this: If your heart is in football then go to Hardin-Simmons. If you want to concentrate on purely business and your education go to Austin Community College until you can get into UT.

NHSRattler60
05-09-2005, 08:10 PM
Update: Family is really pushing for TSU or SHSU. I will be having sugery on my left knee to drain fluid then possibly have bolts inserted if MCL doesn't heal.

wildstangs
05-09-2005, 08:41 PM
$1,000 a semester at HSU isn't going to get you very far. I dont live on campus or use a school meal plan, so I am not exactly sure what the average freshman tuition runs, but I think its around 6 or 7 grand a semester. If your can afford to come here without taking out a ridiculous amount of loans, I would say go for it. Otherwise, you will be paying your college loans off for many many years to come. (Like I will be doing)

HSU is a great school, but if I could start over again, I would definitely go to a public university.

j_dog
05-09-2005, 10:19 PM
I know very little about the other schools, but I can tell you Sam does have a very good business school. I have two degrees from Sam and they have taken me through life while competing against grads from all area schools, including A&M and UT. And yes, Sam does have one of the prettiest campuses around. I hear there are also some pretty girls there, but I never look! ;)

spiveyrat
05-10-2005, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by j_dog
I know very little about the other schools, but I can tell you Sam does have a very good business school. I have two degrees from Sam and they have taken me through life while competing against grads from all area schools, including A&M and UT. And yes, Sam does have one of the prettiest campuses around. I hear there are also some pretty girls there, but I never look! ;)

You probably drive through sorority row every day now! ;)

FbCoachB40
05-10-2005, 08:44 AM
You can weigh so many different things in picking an institution; however, The most important factor in satisfaction at your university is the "people". If you have visited these schools pick the one where the people made you feel at home. When I was coaching college ball that was always the last thing that I said to my recruits, and it still stands true, "pick the school where you feel at home with the people.""pick the school where you feel at home with the people."