PDA

View Full Version : Wharton/Hallettsville Baseball

gobbler grad
05-07-2005, 02:30 PM
Last updated: May 6 11:55:24 PM

Hallettsville forces deciding Game 3

Hallettsville knew it had to perform better to extend its Class 3A bi-district series and the difference was evident on the field and on the scoreboard.

Hallettsville's Preston Fredrich is congratulated by teammates Friday night after his solo home run in the Brahmas' 6-5 Class 3A playoff win over the Wharton Tigers.

The Brahmas scored in each of the first four innings and held on for a 6-5 win over Wharton in Game 2 of the best-of-three series on Friday night at Riverside Stadium.

After dropping a 4-1 decision in Game 1, Hallettsville improved to 18-7 and forced a Game 3 with the Tigers (16-10) today at 1 p.m. at Riverside Stadium.

"We played with a lot more intensity," said Hallettsville shortstop Blake Appelt, who had four of his team's 11 hits. "We knew we had to get after them. We felt like we were kind of sitting back and played tight last night."

The Brahmas scored two runs in the first and second innings and added single runs in the third and fourth innings.

"We played with a little sense of urgency," Hallettsville coach Jim Appelt said. "I was proud of the way we started out and I was proud of the way we were able to hang on at the end. These two teams are very evenly matched."

Hallettsville used singles by Dustin Pekar and Appelt and stole three bases to score twice in the top of the first inning against Wharton starter Preston Shannon.

The Brahmas scored twice more in the second on a Wharton error and singles by Dustin Pekar, Appelt, and Jason Etzler, who had three hits.

Hallettsville made it 5-0 in the third inning when Preston Fredrich drove a ball over the fence in left-center field for the first home run of the series.

The Brahmas took what appeared to be a comfortable 6-0 lead in the fourth when Appelt singled and scored when the ball bounced away from the left fielder on Etzler's single.

44INAROW
05-07-2005, 03:09 PM
Mr 44 called from the game (game #3) - it was so loud I could barely hear but I think he said it was tied in the 8th, then Wharton hit a homerun - haven't heard since then.......

44INAROW
05-07-2005, 03:55 PM
Hallettsville 5 Wharton 4 -:clap: :clap:

raider red 2000
05-07-2005, 04:51 PM
9 innings...great game

both teams played well.

GREAT SEASON TIGERS

gobbler grad
05-07-2005, 06:03 PM
Good job Hallettsville...:clap: :clap: