PDA

View Full Version : the peoples champ is cut!

AggieJohn
05-07-2005, 03:48 AM
Freddie Mitchell has talked his way out of Philadelphia.

In a move that was no surprise, the Eagles released Mitchell on Friday, cutting ties with the wide receiver after four seasons where he never lived up to his promise as a first-round pick.

``We appreciate everything Freddie has contributed to the Eagles organization over the last four years,'' coach Andy Reid said. ``By releasing him now, it gives him the opportunity for a new start with another team in the NFL.''

ADVERTISEMENT

Mitchell, picked in the first round out of UCLA in 2001, made more news off the field than on it, labeling himself with a seemingly endless list of self-promoting nicknames like ``The People's Champ,'' ``FredEx,'' and ``First-Down Freddie.'' Before the Super Bowl, Mitchell offended some Patriots when he dissed their secondary in a television interview.

Mitchell said he just knew the numbers -- not the names -- of New England's cornerbacks. He singled out Rodney Harrison, saying he ``has something'' for the veteran strong safety. Mitchell also called out New England coach Bill Belichick.

Unhappy over his role as the slot receiver and overshadowed by Terrell Owens, Mitchell criticized his teammates for not backing him up when he trashed talked the Patriots and blasted Donovan McNabb for lacking confidence in him as a go-to receiver.

Mitchell was told not to come to Philadelphia's first mandatory minicamp last week.

``I told him I did not want him here,'' Reid said.

Mitchell played in 63 career games and had 90 catches for 1,263 yards and five touchdowns. On the field, he was best known for his catch on a fourth-and-26 play that kept Philadelphia's season alive in the NFC divisional playoff game against Green Bay in January 2004.

Rabbit'93
05-07-2005, 09:23 AM
I hope he ends up in the Arena League. His theatrics will be better received.

Rockdale Tiger
05-07-2005, 09:43 AM
I'm sure his "great hands" will be happy somewhere else where he can thank them...

Maroon87
05-07-2005, 10:50 AM
I don't know how many of ya'll remember this or not, but when Mitchell was at UCLA he suffered a broken femur (thigh bone) while running back a kickoff vs. U of H. I remember the TV replays showing him tumbling out of bounds with his leg flapping around like a wet noodle. Incredibly, he actually came back to play in the Rose Bowl at the end of that season. I thought maybe this guy had some charachter. Unfortunately, he got caught up trying to "out T.O." T.O. with about a third of the talent to back it up. Hope he is able to come up with another catchy nickname for himself this year when the Eagles more than likely win the Super Bowl without him. I hope they don't win it, but if they don't destroy themselves (or allow TO to destroy them) they're a pretty safe bet to win it all.