PDA

View Full Version : Van Gundy becomes unlikely rallying point in Houston

AggieJohn
05-05-2005, 01:42 AM
``I didn't speak with any intention of being a rallying point,'' Van Gundy said Wednesday. ``That's why I love living here. People here are genuine, kind and compassionate ... it caught me a little bit off-guard.''

HOUSTON (AP) -- Yao Ming offered to pick up half of Jeff Van Gundy's $100,000 fine. Dikembe Mutombo planned to call an old friend on his coach's behalf. A local furniture tycoon has even sought to cover the full amount of Van Gundy's NBA-record penalty for a coach.

And wisecracking fans keep sending boxes of 100 Grand candy bars to his Houston home.

Once an outsider from New York, the irascible Rockets coach has become an unlikely rallying point in his new hometown.

``I didn't speak with any intention of being a rallying point,'' Van Gundy said Wednesday. ``That's why I love living here. People here are genuine, kind and compassionate ... it caught me a little bit off-guard.''

The flood of support has come as Van Gundy and the Rockets find themselves on the brink of elimination, down 3-2 in their first-round playoff series against the Dallas Mavericks.

Houston has dropped three straight after winning the first two games in Dallas, and needs a victory at home Thursday night to force a Game 7 in Dallas.

Van Gundy could face a steep price following accusations that officials are targeting Yao this postseason and refusing to tell the league which official was his source.

NBA commissioner David Stern said the $100,000 fine was only ``an intermediary step'' and said an investigation will continue -- once the Rockets finish their playoff run.

``I know this about my brother ... he has great, great integrity and great honesty,'' said Stan Van Gundy, coach of the Miami Heat. ``If he said something happened, then it happened. ... He was told of a situation, he didn't like it, he brought it out publicly, that upset the commissioner and the commissioner cracked down. I think it's unfortunate.''

But the furor over Jeff Van Gundy's punishment has been remarkable considering he was loathed in Houston a few months ago.

After the Rockets' 6-11 start included a five-game losing streak at home, fans booed the slightest blunder and a few even started ``Fire Gundy'' chants that were clearly audible in the half-empty Toyota Center.

Tracy McGrady, acquired in a blockbuster trade from Orlando, complained Van Gundy's rigid offense stifled his creativity. The Rockets were often outhustled by less talented teams. Even Yao, hardly ever a source for controversy, complained that ``we haven't found a direction.''

Van Gundy responded by loosening some of his control over the offense, and the Rockets made three midseason trades that netted veterans Jon Barry, David Wesley and Mike James. The changes sparked the Rockets over the second half of the season en route to a 51-31 finish and the No. 5 seed in the West.

``Jeff and his staff held this team together,'' Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson said. ``It's hard to be in charge of a team that makes that many changes but Jeff got them to blend in fast. I think now he's won everyone over.''

Other than the move south, little has changed about Van Gundy: he worries endlessly about being prepared for the next game and sarcasm remains his motivational tool of choice.

``He can be a fun guy at times,'' McGrady said, cracking a smile. ``But he's all about business.''

And now Van Gundy has a long list of folks willing to help him out with the tab on his huge fine.

Mutombo said he'd try to smooth things out with his longtime friend -- Stern. Local businessman and sports enthusiast Jim McIngvale, who owns Gallery Furniture in Houston, said he'd pay the whole $100,000. Yao even offered to split it.

``I would like to do that. He does a lot for me and defends me,'' Yao said. ``It's a lot of money ... I just want to let him know where I stand on this -- his side.''

Van Gundy, now in the second year of an $18 million, four-year contract, has declined all the offers.

``I got myself into this,'' Van Gundy said, ``and I'll get out of it on my own.''

venomous tat2
05-05-2005, 09:27 AM
It's because the Dallas owner complained to the league Yao
was setting bad screens. The problem is Dallas can't defend the
pick & roll with Yao & McGrady so Cuban is crying for some help,
what a cry baby !!. :hand: :hand:

Rabbit'93
05-05-2005, 11:01 AM
Dallas is up 3-2, 3 game winning streak......seems to me they found a way to defend it.

Phil C
05-05-2005, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Rabbit'93
Dallas is up 3-2, 3 game winning streak......seems to me they found a way to defend it.

Or the refs! :)

nutcrackin
05-05-2005, 01:02 PM
That's houston for ya.. trying to make a hero out of a cry baby.. Yao had 30 points and 16 free throw attempts.. more than any maverick for god sake. this is typical choke city antics. He is averaging more in the playoffs than in the regular season also. Yao gets more calls in his favor than anyone and have you actually watched him set a screen? He is never still or stationary. He is constantly moving on every screen which is a FOUL.

Bulldog_12
05-05-2005, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by nutcrackin
That's houston for ya.. trying to make a hero out of a cry baby..

I hate to break it to ya, but everyone is making a hero out of a man that sparked new life into a "dead" Houston team. Whats going on now is that they are supporting him through a rough time. If your a Mavs fan you can't say anything with that whiney billionaire thats at the helm. He's one person that I just cant stand. He's up there with Jim Rome.

AggieJohn
05-05-2005, 01:34 PM
cuban is the biggest wanna be player that is a cry baby to others to make sure the players get their way, he really just wants them to like them so he can have pseudo-friends