PDA

View Full Version : Near riot at U.T.

panther power
05-04-2005, 07:50 PM
Arrest made at Coulter speech; Student arrested, charged with disorderly conduct after offensive question
Wed May 04 2005 11:57:58 ET

Incessant heckling and shouting culminated in an arrest Tuesday night during a speech by controversialist Ann Coulter at the University of Texas at Austin.

THE TEXAN reports: Shouts became so pervasive during the question-and-answer session that Coulter informed the organizers she would no longer take questions if the hecklers were not silenced. For a time, the shouts were considerably lessened, until the issue of gay marriage was broached.

Coulter said she supported the definition of marriage as between a man and a woman on the basis that a good woman civilizes and inspires a man to strive for something better, leading to a question that was met with a stunned silence.

"You say that you believe in the sanctity of marriage," said Ajai Raj, an English sophomore. "How do you feel about marriages where the man does nothing but f*@k his wife up the ass?"

UT Police officers approached Raj to arrest him, resulting in a mass exodus of protesters chanting, "Let him go."

"The person had been disruptive the entire event," said Matt Hardigree, former Student Events Center president. "He took the opportunity to say something lewd and offensive and then made masturbatory gestures as he exited."

Hardigree said that Cheryl Wood from the Office of the Dean of Students spoke with some of the protestors before the event, and assorted members of the Distinguished Speakers Committee asked them to sit in the back if they had signs and to leave quietly if they wanted to leave.

According to Jeffrey Stockerwell, a friend of Raj, officers violently seized Raj and illegally searched him after his question.

Police have charged Raj with disorderly conduct, a Class C misdemeanor.

Representatives of the Austin People's Legal Collective were taking statements from everyone at the scene, in case it should be taken to court.

The booing began early into Coulter's speech, when she issued a joke to pro-choice advocates.

"I wonder why those 'I Heart Partial-Birth Abortion' T-shirts aren't selling better," she said, followed by a combination of cheers and jeers.

One student asked Coulter why universities and institutions place microphones in front of Coulter when she advocates terrorism against liberals, prompting Coulter to mention the strength of her book sales. Coulter has had four New York Times best sellers.

The $30,000 event was co-sponsored by the Texas Union Student Events Center and Student Endowed Centennial Lectureship Committee.

KTJ
05-04-2005, 08:16 PM
There was no "near riot."

Don't assume stuff based on a little writeup.

LH Panther Mom
05-04-2005, 08:21 PM
:eek: My goodness! I'm sure glad my son wasn't attending this...good thing Calculus test was scheduled.

panther power
05-04-2005, 08:32 PM
"NEAR" riot, make what you want of it...

slpybear the bullfan
05-04-2005, 08:42 PM
What the heck is a controversialist?

AggieJohn
05-04-2005, 08:49 PM
controversialist: adv. see Micheal Moore, see Don King

JHS_c/o_06'
05-04-2005, 08:57 PM
And why was this bit of news brought to our attention?

panther power
05-04-2005, 09:11 PM
read it for your personal enjoyment?

gato 76
05-04-2005, 09:17 PM
Anne Coulter is a right wing nut case.

GOFOR2
05-04-2005, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by gato 76

and we just gave her some more air time.
hey guess what, this is post #500 for me!!!
whoa!!!
I wear a XXL Letterman jacket.

LH Panther Mom
05-04-2005, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by GOFOR2
whoa!!!

Congrats on # 500!

PhiI C
05-04-2005, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Congrats on # 500!

Ditto for me too! Keep them coming Go!

KTJ
05-04-2005, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by panther power
"NEAR" riot, make what you want of it...

That's my point. There was nothing "near", nor close to, a riot to begin with.

spiveyrat
05-05-2005, 07:12 AM
Here's the arrest report (http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0504051_ann_coulter_1.html)

BTEXDAD
05-05-2005, 08:30 AM

I consider myself pretty far to the right, but I'm a left wing, bleeding heart liberal compared to Coulter. I have read one of her books though.

BTEXDAD
05-05-2005, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by GOFOR2
whoa!!!

I'm still a rookie, so someone enlighten me as to how I get to be on jv then varsity letterman, etc.
And don't say practice, practice, practice.....

sahen
05-05-2005, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by BTEXDAD
I'm still a rookie, so someone enlighten me as to how I get to be on jv then varsity letterman, etc.
And don't say practice, practice, practice.....
post, post, post....but dont do like some people and make crap posts just to get your post up....just stay with us a while and u'll get there...

AggieJohn
05-05-2005, 10:24 AM
and go get em'

spiveyrat
05-05-2005, 10:27 AM

She's funny as hell! :clap:

Sinton94
05-05-2005, 03:42 PM

What's the difference between a right wing and left wing nut case?:thinking:

spiveyrat
05-05-2005, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Sinton94
What's the difference between a right wing and left wing nut case?:thinking:

All the moderates in between. :D

PappaBear
05-05-2005, 05:21 PM
I like Anne Coulter she is not scared to stand up for her believes and everyone has her on their talk shows for that reason.