PDA

View Full Version : Voters in Austin Asked to Ban Smoking

jason
05-04-2005, 12:54 PM
Yahoo Story (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=519&ncid=519&e=18&u=/ap/20050504/ap_on_re_us/austin_smoking_ban)

By JIM VERTUNO, Associated Press Writer Wed May 4, 5:25 AM ET

AUSTIN, Texas - On any given night in the self-proclaimed "Live Music Capital of the World," dozens of rock bands thrash out tunes in bars thick with the fog of cigarette smoke.

But on Saturday, voters will decide whether this hip city with a reputation as the most liberal town in Texas should ban smoking in bars, bowling alleys and pool halls.

The city already bans smoking in most restaurants, and Austin would hardly be the first to prohibit smoking in bars — El Paso did it in 2002 and New York City banned it in 2003.

But telling Austin to follow New York City is like telling a Texan the best barbecue sauce comes from Kansas City.

"It's stupid," Ivar Alford, 24, said as he took a smoke break outside the club Iron Cactus, where he works. "We would definitely lose a piece of Austin."

To get the proposal on the ballot, the Onward Austin group collected more than 36,000 signatures from registered voters. Keep Austin Free, a group that includes local politicians and business owners, sued in federal court to stop the referendum but lost.

Keep Austin Free said the proposal would violate smokers' rights and hurt business in a city where bars and music are a way of life.

"It's part of the culture," said Paul Silver, owner of club and restaurant 219 West and a leader of Keep Austin Free. "A honky-tonk has got smoking and dancing and drinking. You take one of those away, and it's not a honky-tonk."

The nationally known South by Southwest Music Festival also opposes the ban.

But the smoking ban has some heavyweight support, including the American Lung Association, the
American Cancer Society and the Lance Armstrong Foundation. Supporters say the ban would protect the public — including musicians and bar workers — from second-hand smoke.

"Everybody deserves the right to breathe clean air," said Rodney Ahart of the American Cancer Society. "This is about protecting public health."

According to the cancer society, second-hand smoke causes 35,000 to 40,000 deaths per year from heart disease in adults who are not current smokers and about 3,000 lung cancer deaths in nonsmoking adults. It also leads to other respiratory and health problems.

Singer-songwriter Sara Hickman is one of a handful of musicians taking a stand on the issue. She supports the ban after spending 28 years playing music under a cloud of smoke.

"There are some musicians who smoke, and I can see how it would be awkward for them," said Hickman, 42. "I would guess most musicians would agree with me that going home after a gig and smelling like smoke is disgusting. You might as well spray me with asbestos."

Ranger Mom
05-04-2005, 01:20 PM
That was tried in Midland a couple of months ago.....it came no where NEAR passing.

Restaurants/bars have a choice to be non-smoking, have a designated smoking area (with own ventilation system) or ALL smoking.

Phantom Stang
05-04-2005, 01:26 PM
If it didn't pass in Midland, I SURE don't think it will pass in Austin.:smoker:

Phil C
05-04-2005, 01:28 PM
Let the Austin voters (cough cough) speak!