PDA

View Full Version : Texas House Bans 'Suggestive' Cheerleading

jason
05-04-2005, 08:52 AM
Yahoo Story (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=9&u=/ap/20050504/ap_on_re_us/suggestive_cheerleading)

By APRIL CASTRO, Associated Press Writer 11 minutes ago

AUSTIN, Texas - After an alternately comic and fiery debate — punctuated by several lawmakers waving pompons — the state House on Tuesday approved a bill to restrict "overtly sexually suggestive" cheerleading to more ladylike performances.

The bill would give the state education commissioner authority to request that school districts review high school performances.

"Girls can get out and do all of these overly sexually performances and we applaud them, and that's not right," said Democratic Rep. Al Edwards, who filed the legislation.

Edwards argued bawdy performances are a distraction for students resulting in pregnancies, dropouts and the spread of sexually transmitted diseases.

Ribald performances are not defined in the bill. "Any adult that's been involved with sex in their lives, they know it when they see it," he said.

The bill passed on a 65-56 vote. It still must be approved by the Senate and signed by Republican Gov. Rick Perry.

One critic questioned the legislation's priorities.

"Have we done anything about stem cell research to help people who are dying and are sick advance their health? No," said Democratic Rep. Senfronia Thompson. "Have we done anything about the mentally ill, school finance or ethics?"

The American Civil Liberties Union said the measure was unnecessary because state law already prohibits public lewdness by students on or near a school campus.

LH Panther Mom
05-04-2005, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by jason
Edwards argued bawdy performances are a distraction for students resulting in pregnancies, dropouts and the spread of sexually transmitted diseases.

Uhm....yeah, that's what causes them. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

pirate4state
05-04-2005, 08:57 AM
"Girls can get out and do all of these overly sexually performances and we applaud them, and that's not right," said Democratic Rep. Al Edwards, who filed the legislation.

Ribald performances are not defined in the bill. "Any adult that's been involved with sex in their lives, they know it when they see it," he said.

That is some funny reading! :clap:

jason
05-04-2005, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Uhm....yeah, that's what causes them. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: i think this is what causes those things...

http://img230.echo.cx/img230/307/smileysex4ot.gif

pirate4state
05-04-2005, 09:02 AM
i think this is what causes those things...

http://img230.echo.cx/img230/307/smileysex4ot.gif

:eek: OMG - LMAO!!! :D

AggieJohn
05-04-2005, 11:02 AM
how did you make that jason

BHKrystal06
05-04-2005, 11:05 AM
This is so stupid....I bet cheerleaders and ex-cheerleaders everywhere are mad...I know I am....I mean, just beacuse some of those moves and done in cheers and dances doesn't mean a thing...it's just done for people to pay attention to them and to get them 'pumped' up...

PurpleFreddy
05-04-2005, 11:34 AM
Isn't it the dance teams who are somewhat suggestive? I can't recall seeing many suggestive cheerleading moves (except those two cheerleaders in "The Replacements.")

What morons we have in the State House!

raider red 2000
05-04-2005, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by BHKrystal06
This is so stupid....I bet cheerleaders and ex-cheerleaders everywhere are mad...I know I am....I mean, just beacuse some of those moves and done in cheers and dances doesn't mean a thing...it's just done for people to pay attention to them and to get them 'pumped' up...

the bill or whatever is stupid, but having a teen aged girl movin her rear end does not help the football or basketball team win.

Bandera YaYa
05-04-2005, 11:52 AM
Personally, cheerleaders of all levels just irritate me. I go to watch the games and I would rather yell what I want to yell. Most of the time, they haven't a clue as to what's going on in the game so what's the point?......BUT, I am a mom of a former cheerleader so I understand a parents view on the subject....and there are alot of squads made up of girls doing waaaaaaay too much with their bodies in front of family and strangers......just my 3 cents worth on this subject. But to debate about banning it, is a waste of time for our government body and our hard earned bucks....

Phantom Stang
05-04-2005, 12:06 PM
I wonder if Gov Perry will sign this grandstanding piece of garbage.:thinking:

Phantom Stang
05-04-2005, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by raider red 2000
the bill or whatever is stupid, but having a teen aged girl movin her rear end does not help the football or basketball team win.
That's true,but bands,cheerleaders, and such add to the atmosphere.

spiveyrat
05-04-2005, 12:11 PM
... and to get them 'pumped' up...

That's an interesting choice of words.

LH Panther Mom
05-04-2005, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by spiveyrat

That's kind of what I thought...might explain the reason for the bill to begin with.

spiveyrat
05-04-2005, 12:15 PM
That's kind of what I thought...might explain the reason for the bill to begin with.

;) :thumbsup:

BullFrog Dad
05-04-2005, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by PurpleFreddy
Isn't it the dance teams who are somewhat suggestive? I can't recall seeing many suggestive cheerleading moves (except those two cheerleaders in "The Replacements.")

What morons we have in the State House! Amen PurpleFreddy. Last season at the Glen Rose halftime their dance team had people leaving the line at the concession stand and going back to the bleachers.

Phantom Stang
05-04-2005, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by BullFrog Dad
Amen PurpleFreddy. Last season at the Glen Rose halftime their dance team had people leaving the line at the concession stand and going back to the bleachers.
Maybe that's why the Legislature didn't specify Dance Teams.:D

Phil C
05-04-2005, 01:27 PM
But it does show they are protecting us and have their priorities right! This will correct a problem that hs been a major threat to state and federal security for some time! Thank goodness we are about to be safe. Whew! Such leadership - priceless!

JasperDog94
05-04-2005, 03:52 PM
I guess I'm one of the only ones that's glad they're trying to do something about it. Most people would agree that it should be left up to the local level to determine what's appropriate and what's not, but apparently that's not being done. So now the state's getting involved. Had we taken care of it on our own we wouldn't be in this situation.

BHKrystal06
05-04-2005, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
:rolleyes:

Old Green
05-04-2005, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
I wonder if Gov Perry will sign this grandstanding piece of garbage.:thinking: His daughter will be protected now at her exclusive private school now.:)

NSUTrumpet08
05-04-2005, 08:21 PM
Yeah that guy who proposed the bill i think said that it's not limited to cheerleaders but to also the band, colorguard, twirlers, dance teams, and other auxillary units.

I understand what he's trying to do and he says that it's up to the school district to deem what is "inappropriate."

Right...this bill isn't going to get passed by any means...

LH Panther Mom
05-04-2005, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by NSUTrumpet08
but to also the band

Yeah, our tuba players always dance suggestively. ;)

spiveyrat
05-05-2005, 06:42 AM
BHKrystal: You said it, not me. :hand:

CHS_CG
05-05-2005, 07:00 AM
Yeah, our tuba players always dance suggestively. ;)

our tubas have been caught doing pelvic thrusts in the stands.. but thats just they are immature..

scrub c
05-05-2005, 08:17 AM
OMG
I cant even think of something smarta$$ to say !

how dumb

LH Panther Mom
05-05-2005, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by scrub c
OMG
I cant even think of something smarta$$ to say !

:eek: :eek: ;)

jason
05-05-2005, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by CHS_CG
our tubas have been caught doing pelvic thrusts in the stands.. but thats just they are immature.. what about yalls clarinet players :D

BHKrystal06
05-05-2005, 08:51 AM
what about yalls clarinet players :D
hey now watch it jason

TheDOCTORdre
05-05-2005, 08:54 AM
And this one time at band camp...

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
05-05-2005, 08:54 AM
I'm still laughing about the "pelvic thrusts".

AggieJohn
05-05-2005, 08:55 AM
you would
haha

bmbf_06
05-05-2005, 08:58 AM

i agree with you on this one--as a cheerleader, i really don't see the big deal about dance moves--i mean, you see them on t.v and everywhere else--i know in my town, we don't get to do dance with those types of moves in them b/c "it might offend someone"....and to be honest, it really stinks!

AggieJohn
05-05-2005, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by bmbf_06
i agree with you on this one--as a cheerleader, i really don't see the big deal about dance moves--i mean, you see them on t.v and everywhere else--i know in my town, we don't get to do dance with those types of moves in them b/c "it might offend someone"....and to be honest, it really stinks!
you got to understand, some people got heart conditions

BHKrystal06
05-05-2005, 09:01 AM
Thank you!

AggieJohn
05-05-2005, 09:12 AM
was said on crossfire regarding the ban:

PAUL BEGALA:

When I was a kid and Democrats controlled Texas we were known for the lusty, busty, Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders. Now, those were the days! But, today, politicians seem to want cheerleaders in Texas to perform in burkas. If the Texas Senate passes this idiotic bill, if it reaches Governor Rick Perry's desk, if he had any red-blooded Texas machismo, he would veto this nonsense, but fat chance of that. Perry, a Republican, is the first governor of my state to graduate from Texas A&M, which is an alleged college that doesn't even allow women to be cheerleaders. I guess they're worried the female Aggies will wander out on the football field and graze.

see negative A&M stuff

JasperDog94
05-05-2005, 10:08 AM
i agree with you on this one--as a cheerleader, i really don't see the big deal about dance moves--i mean, you see them on t.v and everywhere else--i know in my town, we don't get to do dance with those types of moves in them b/c "it might offend someone"....and to be honest, it really stinks! I really don't think that we want our standards to be set by movies and tv. Do you?

GOFOR2
05-05-2005, 10:15 AM
its just something else for those legislators to do to justify their jobs

AggieJohn
05-05-2005, 10:16 AM
or a way to pad your production numbers

raider red 2000
05-05-2005, 10:20 AM

bm-
yall are not too bad....but the dance team sure does some suggestive type dances.

Black_Magic
05-05-2005, 10:51 AM
I really think that Some of the dance moves could be toned down. I mean Some of the moves are more than a little suggestive. what happened to the good old cheerleading where you stand and do the cheer and then do the cartwheels and such? I believe that the reason for the ban is because some of the moves are too suggestive. The excuse that we see it on TV is not a good one. After all we are talking about minors and Young girls not Women. Im just wondering how it will be enforced.

LH Panther Mom
05-05-2005, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
which is an alleged college that doesn't even allow women to be cheerleaders. I guess they're worried the female Aggies will wander out on the football field and graze.

LOL!!! That's funny!

Keith7
05-05-2005, 11:21 AM
What about the cheerleading competitions??? They don't compete with just cheerleaders in Texas, but squads from around the country.. If our cheerleaders showed up and did a 4th grade routine they would just get laughed at.. now is that really fair for our cheerleaders??

mustang04
05-05-2005, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
Personally, cheerleaders of all levels just irritate me. I go to watch the games and I would rather yell what I want to yell. Most of the time, they haven't a clue as to what's going on in the game so what's the point?......BUT, I am a mom of a former cheerleader so I understand a parents view on the subject....and there are alot of squads made up of girls doing waaaaaaay too much with their bodies in front of family and strangers......just my 3 cents worth on this subject. But to debate about banning it, is a waste of time for our government body and our hard earned bucks....

and to think i used to like you...:mad:

:inlove:

lepfan
05-05-2005, 12:23 PM
I am still waiting for the day the guys and gals in the state dome TAKE and PASS this TAKS test at the exit level. Some would be in a world of hurt if they had to do that before they got re elected.

raider red 2000
05-05-2005, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn

PAUL BEGALA:

When I was a kid and Democrats controlled Texas we were known for the lusty, busty, Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders. Now, those were the days! But, today, politicians seem to want cheerleaders in Texas to perform in burkas. If the Texas Senate passes this idiotic bill, if it reaches Governor Rick Perry's desk, if he had any red-blooded Texas machismo, he would veto this nonsense, but fat chance of that. Perry, a Republican, is the first governor of my state to graduate from Texas A&M, which is an alleged college that doesn't even allow women to be cheerleaders. I guess they're worried the female Aggies will wander out on the football field and graze.

see negative A&M stuff

the dallas cowboy cheerleaders were of legal age to do what they want with their bodies....i know i dont care to watch 16 yr olds shakin it like a salt shaker.

JasperDog94
05-05-2005, 03:42 PM
the dallas cowboy cheerleaders were of legal age to do what they want with their bodies....i know i dont care to watch 16 yr olds shakin it like a salt shaker. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

bmbf_06
05-06-2005, 08:35 AM
bm-
yall are not too bad....but the dance team sure does some suggestive type dances.

Yeah, the dance team does have some suggestive dance moves.....and we see the type of response they get from the crowd and the people in town--and we decide not to do those, since people "freak out" about them!