PDA

View Full Version : Barbers Hill vs Sheperd

middleagecardinal
05-04-2005, 07:16 AM
Published May 04, 2005

KINGWOOD — Barbers Hill’s hitting problems, which had materialized at the beginning of the year, stayed with them to the very end. Tuesday night, the Lady Eagles season came to an end in a 2-1 loss to Shepherd in a Class 3A Region 3 area round contest.

Clutch hits never occurred as the Lady Eagles stranded eight runners in the game.

“That killed us,” Barbers Hill coach Kirk Hall said. “But we haven’t hit all year with people on base. They pretty much beat us with one person.”

Samantha Cummings overcame a shaky first inning and went the distance for the Lady Pirates to improve her record to 22-4 on the year. Cummings gave up five hits and struck out eight while walking three. The only run she gave up was unearned.

The Lady Eagles saw a golden opportunity pass them by in the first inning after loading the bases with one out. Alexa Lyday and Heather Mosser each walked and Chandler Hall advanced the runners on a single. However, nothing came of the threat as Cummings regrouped and picked up two strikeouts to end the threat. In the second, Barbers Hill made good on another opportunity.

With two outs, Jackie Sparks picked up a single. After advancing to second on a passed ball, Sparks came home when a Lexi Stephens’ fly ball to center field was dropped.

Barbers Hill had a 1-0 lead but it was short-lived as Shepherd tied the game up on an error. Stephens made two great plays from second for the first two outs of the inning. But after Erin Worley reached on a single, followed by a walk to Stephanie Brawley, disaster struck.

Stormi Prater hit a routine ground ball to Stephens which was mishandled. Stephens compounded the mistake by rushing the throw, which went to the fence. The error sallowed Worley to score to tie the game, 1-1, after two innings.

The errors continued in the third inning when two miscues allowed Barbers Hill to put runners on second and third. But a bunt attempt by Katie Blaylock was popped up to Cummings, who threw to third from her knees to double up Mosser for the third out.

In the third, Shepherd took their first lead of the game. Cummings blasted a ball to left-center for a stand-up triple with two outs. Sarah Herrod followed with an RBI single to score Cummings.

Barbers Hill had scoring opportunities in the fourth and sixth, getting runners to third base. However both chances came with two outs, and each time the inning ended with a strikeout.

Barbers Hill mounted one last rally in the top of the seventh when Stephens and Lyday each singled with one out. But a Mosser grounder to shortstop resulted in a force play at third to end the game.

“We had a good season,” Hall said. “The problem was you can’t keep winning 1-0. It caught up with us. Chandler pitched well and the defense played well. We gave up a run on an error but we weren’t going to win on one run anyway.”

Chandler Hall took the loss, giving up two runs, one of which was unearned. Hall gave up four hits and struck out four while walking one.

BTEXDAD
05-04-2005, 08:15 AM
Congratulations to Sheperd for the win and to Barbers Hill for a good season.
It's a tough region and there'll be a lot of good teams that won't make it to the final four.

BHKrystal06
05-04-2005, 11:08 AM
Congratulations girls on a great season...

Old Cardinal
05-04-2005, 12:27 PM
WOW, When you have great teams like those stacked in Region III this year-- anyone can upset anyone else. Kirk Hall came out of the Select team business to take the Coaches job at BH and has done an exemplary job in running the program. Chandler Hall his daughter will be back with a host of young friends to do battle again next season. I am hearing the after next year BH will only be 4A for 2 years and then go 5A. Since they are at around 1300+ students next year there is strong talk that another additional 5A size school will start construction in a year or two. Four mega-housing additions are in process of being built.
BH is a good team, boy Shepherd must be loaded to take them out of the playoffs!

Sheppard, Sealy, and Bellville are good teams that have gotten a little better each game as the season has progressed, they all will be tough to get out of the bracket play.

Phantom Stang
05-04-2005, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal
WOW, When you have great teams like those stacked in Region III this year-- anyone can upset anyone else. Kirk Hall came out of the Select team business to take the Coaches job at BH and has done an exemplary job in running the program. Chandler Hall his daughter will be back with a host of young friends to do battle again next season. I am hearing the after next year BH will only be 4A for 2 years and then go 5A. Since they are at around 1300+ students next year there is strong talk that another additional 5A size school will start construction in a year or two. Four mega-housing additions are in process of being built.
BH is a good team, boy Shepherd must be loaded to take them out of the playoffs!

Sheppard, Sealy, and Bellville are good teams that have gotten a little better each game as the season has progressed, they all will be tough to get out of the bracket play.
Wow,that's a lot of growth. Is Barbers Hill a suburb of Houston?

Old Cardinal
05-04-2005, 12:52 PM
Looks like BH may be a twin city of Houston at some point LOL....The tremendous growth along the coast in what is called the Greater Houston area is phenomenal. BH is loaded with big oil money.They can hire anyone that beats them in sports and they all have a great academic developmental attitude. This is the preferred place to gravitiate to live if your job is anywhere near the east side of Baytown or even Houston.

RBARKER
05-04-2005, 01:07 PM
Congrats to Shepard on the win and to BH for a great season. BH will return everyone on the team but next year. As far as the growth at BH is is on a steady incline and by the numbers I have seen will not be 3A anymore after the next realignment. As far as going to 5A that is still to come. I think BH will stay 4A for the next several years before going into the 5A ranks.

Phantom Stang
05-04-2005, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the Info Old Cardinal. I really hadn't heard of BH before reading this board, and had assumed it was a small, stand-alone town.

Hupernikomen
05-04-2005, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal

Surely Shepperd must have some select team players to beat the likes of Barbers Hill ;)

And there is no way in the world that BH is anywhere near 1300 students for next year. That would put the incoming freshman class at well over 600 students and I know better than that.

Hupernikomen
05-04-2005, 02:27 PM
matter of fact I had to go to the TEA and check out this explosion of student population in Barber's Hill everyone keeps talking about.

Here the numbers from last year's AEIS.

K -214
1st 233
2nd 237
3rd 222
4th 219
5th 244
6th 284
7th 231
8th 245
9th 227
10th 227
11th 201 (this year's seniors)
12th 158

The current alignment had them listed as 826.

Any route, take away the 201 (since they are this years 12th grades) and add the 231 (this years 7th graders) and that 30 neat student gain isn't that big of a deal. Are they growing sure. But you can barely get 1000 students at BH in the next 5 years by looking at that. Probably will keep inching upward, but 1500 I don't think so!

Old Cardinal
05-04-2005, 02:46 PM
The numbers of students in each class has nothing to do with the demographics being presented. Think in terms of the number of slabs being poured each day within the school district area. There are 4 mega-housing additions being built and more in the planning stage. It's not just the growth along Hwy 146 where some of these home construction projects are being added, it's all over the District....

AggieJohn
05-04-2005, 02:54 PM
good job bh, way to represent the district

eagle.eyes
05-04-2005, 03:10 PM
Old Card, you've said the same crap for over a year although you have been corrected. 1st, Hwy. 146 you keep talking about is not in the BH school district. Every single house you see is in the Baytown school district. 2nd, I don't know where you keep seeing 1300 numbers, we're at about 925. Next alignment will be close depending on if the UIL moves the numbers up. To make a long story short, Huper is right, you my friend are not even in the ballpark.

Old Cardinal
05-04-2005, 04:09 PM
I got my info from a person in the building trade in BH--I believe him.

BHKrystal06
05-04-2005, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
Surely Shepperd must have some select team players to beat the likes of Barbers Hill ;)

And there is no way in the world that BH is anywhere near 1300 students for next year. That would put the incoming freshman class at well over 600 students and I know better than that.
Old Card, I believe you...I get my info from the board as well as the teachers...

Around 600 sounds about right for next year's freshmen...

Hupernikomen
05-05-2005, 10:49 AM
there is no way in the world BH will have 600 freshmen. I to am aware that there are many houses to be built in a couple large subdivisions. I don't very seriously everyone of them will move in by next year and all high school students causing BH numbers to increase by 75% over the summer. I mean sure they are going to continue to grow and it may be dramatic but 75% HS attendance growth over the summer..no way! 10-15% would be amazing.

BHKrystal06
05-05-2005, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
there is no way in the world BH will have 600 freshmen. I to am aware that there are many houses to be built in a couple large subdivisions. I don't very seriously everyone of them will move in by next year and all high school students causing BH numbers to increase by 75% over the summer. I mean sure they are going to continue to grow and it may be dramatic but 75% HS attendance growth over the summer..no way! 10-15% would be amazing.
Think what you would like too...

middleagecardinal
05-05-2005, 11:44 AM
So anyway............can anyone tell me about Sheperd's softball team?

Old Cardinal
05-05-2005, 12:12 PM
Huper: The projection is by the END of next school year as I understand it. We are not trying to be difficult but it seems that some strategy folks are making big growth claims over their. I was amazed by the projections also; maybe they are right and maybe they are wrong--but that is being passed around in the building trade circles over that way. How would you know about the backlog level of homes going in at that school district area?

Hupernikomen
05-07-2005, 04:25 PM
I know some administrators and coaches from BH and while they do think growth is going to continue at a rapid pace. To go from 850 to 1500 in one year just isn't going to happen. Very possible they might hit 1000 and maybe even 1100 by the end of next year. How do you think districts plan for number of teachers and classrom for the coming years? I has to be by what is already in the system and a projection of what is coming into the system. I hear those subdivisions are going to be massive and one day really boost BH's numbers I just don't think it will be quite as fast as you are predicting.

Old Cardinal
05-08-2005, 09:14 PM
Huper---The projection was 1300 at the end of next year NOT 1500 as you just stated. And the present attendence is approx. 929 average NOT 850 as you just stated. If the slabs get poured with a good weather timetable and the houses are built: it can reach 1300, is what I am hearing from builders over there.

I kind of feel like Miss Krystal does--"Think what you want" LOL

RBARKER
05-08-2005, 09:21 PM
Hey OC I just read the the Cardinals are going to be playing Shepard at BH's field. are you going? Might have to come by and check out the BC team.

Old Cardinal
05-08-2005, 09:30 PM
Yes RBARKER I will be there. I hope to see you, Jody, and all the gang from BH. This Shepherd team is really good if they stopped Coach Hall and those good BH softball girls. Hope to see you guys at a lot of postseason games in the coming year--that means we both made it that far LOL

RBARKER
05-08-2005, 09:38 PM
Seya there OC I'll give Jody a call to see if he would like to come. I'll be the one with the BH hat.

Etexpirate
05-09-2005, 07:55 AM
Oldcardinal...you are just being sweet...
We're just a bunch of country girls that like to play a little ball now and then!;)

middleagecardinal
05-09-2005, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by RBARKER
Seya there OC I'll give Jody a call to see if he would like to come. I'll be the one with the BH hat.

Hey RBARKER,

I'll be there also...maybe we could meet. I'll be the one with the BC hat on...;)

Just kidding....I'll get Old Card to introduce us.

middleagecardinal
05-09-2005, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by middleagecardinal
So anyway............can anyone tell me about Sheperd's softball team?

???????

Etexpirate
05-09-2005, 01:25 PM
???????
well yeah.. what do you want to know?:)

middleagecardinal
05-09-2005, 02:01 PM
Just a general overview....how's their pitching, defense, speed...

Etexpirate
05-09-2005, 02:29 PM
Oh dumb me.. it was a scouting type of question..

I think that I would be biased if I answered any of those questions..lol!
I will say that I think it will be a great game!:)

middleagecardinal
05-09-2005, 02:37 PM
So you're a player? That's cool. Do you know if there is anyone else from Sheperd on here that could enlighten us?

Etexpirate
05-09-2005, 02:39 PM
No even worse...mother of the pitcher!
Totally biased!:D

middleagecardinal
05-09-2005, 02:48 PM
You're kidding....I saw you in Jasper, you'll never guess who I am.

Etexpirate
05-09-2005, 02:50 PM
the guy I was sitting next too on the top row???:D

middleagecardinal
05-09-2005, 02:52 PM
The one that kinda messed up when he said that the top bench wasn't big enough to sit on!!:doh:

Etexpirate
05-09-2005, 02:54 PM
Oh You??? lolololol!!!
<<spewing coke on keyboard...>>
Well..."it" fit..but wasn't very comfy....:hairpunk:

You were sitting next to the Coach.. you should have asked him all of your questions then...:p

Etexpirate
05-09-2005, 02:59 PM
Heck....I doubt if anybody on here has seen us play...
I was stopped twice in the parking lot at Jasper by BC parents asking us even where the heck Shepherd was...lol!!!
We must be a secret!!;)

pirate4state
05-09-2005, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Etexpirate
No even worse...mother of the pitcher!
Totally biased!:D LOL - good luck to your daughter & WELCOME TO THE BEST 3A BOARD!! :clap:

middleagecardinal
05-09-2005, 03:02 PM
First of all, surely you know that I was talking about mine not fitting. I thought about it but I did not want to put him on the spot....some coaches don't like that. It's not that big of a deal, just curious. A lot of people talk about their teams on here but I had not heard much about Sheperd. Tell your daughter good luck this week. I hope it's a good series.

Is she the only pitcher?

Etexpirate
05-09-2005, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
LOL - good luck to your daughter & WELCOME TO THE BEST 3A BOARD!! :clap:
Thank you for the Welcome and the Well Wishes!
This seems like a great board... I have thoroughly enjoyed trying to figure it out and reading all of the playoff scoop!

pirate4state
05-09-2005, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Etexpirate
Thank you for the Welcome and the Well Wishes!
This seems like a great board... I have thoroughly enjoyed trying to figure it out and reading all of the playoff scoop! You'll be an "old pro" in no time! :D (and I mean that in a good way ;) )

Etexpirate
05-09-2005, 03:08 PM
First of all, surely you know that I was talking about mine not fitting. I thought about it but I did not want to put him on the spot....some coaches don't like that. It's not that big of a deal, just curious. A lot of people talk about their teams on here but I had not heard much about Sheperd. Tell your daughter good luck this week. I hope it's a good series.

Is she the only pitcher?

I was just teasing..(about the coach too!):p

I guess really not much is known about us..even where we are located! I only found this board last week so I thought it would be silly to blow in here and start bragging about our bunch! lol..
We have three pitchers so I should have said Mother of one of the pitchers..lol. There's that bias again!:rolleyes:
I hope it's a good series also.. I'm sure Friday will be a great game.. I wish we didn't have Prom this weekend though.. We we were hoping for one game..