View Full Version : thread for new TAMUCC students

pirate44
05-04-2005, 06:28 AM
http://mas.scripps.com/CCCT/2005/05/04/p-3surfing0504_e.jpg

Sun, sand, surf and school
Island University adds waves to its curriculum

By Katy Garcia Caller-Times
May 4, 2005

PORT ARANSAS - Cries of laughing gulls and crashing waves aren't the usual backdrop for Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi coursework, but for 15 students the sand and surf has been their classroom.

This spring, A&M-Corpus Christi began to offer a surfing class to its students, teaching history, fundamentals and the art of the water sport, said adjunct professor Phillip "Puddy" Albright.

"It's an academic course, it's not just a PE course," said Albright, who also offers surfing lessons and works as a licensed sports therapist.

The semester begins in the classroom teaching the evolution of surfing from its beginnings in Polynesia to its migration to Texas. Albright said he also used conference calls and guest speakers to connect the students to professionals including a local surfboard shaper and the publisher of Surfer's Journal.

Once the water warmed, the beach became their learning environment for the three-hour course on Tuesday afternoons, Albright said.

"They're trying real hard and they're not afraid," he said. "Once you do it's the biggest drug of all. You develop a passion for it."

Catching a wave into shore, sophomore nursing major Josh Snyder of Austin looked more like a seasoned surfer than a beginner.

"I've fallen a lot. It's definitely fun. It doesn't get much better than this," Snyder said as he gestured toward the blue skies and infinite rolling wave crests.

Surfing was offered as a part of an outdoor recreational course last year, and developed into a stand-alone course after Albright approached university officials with the idea, said Randy Bonnette, kinesiology department chairman.

"Our hope is to inspire that student that is freezing in Wisconsin to go live on the beach and get a great education at the same time," Bonnette said.

The class will be offered next fall with the hope of making it a year-round course, Bonnette said.

The class counts as a onehour elective credit for most undergraduates, but kinesiology majors must take several hours of activity courses, such as the surfing class, Bonnette said.

Wobbly knees and unsure footing didn't stop senior marine biology major Katie Post of Kansas who was determined to learn how to surf.

"I wanted to learn how to surf," Post said.

"There are not many schools where you get to do this. It's like taking skiing in Colorado. I like the area, it's one of the reasons I moved here."

Freshman biomedical sciences major Kate Dudley of Houston said she plans to use what she learned in the class throughout college.

"This is going to apply to me the rest of the time I'm here," Dudley said. "I have progressed a lot. I'm still not very good."

And as Dudley prepares for her finals starting Thursday, surfing has become more than just a class.

"It's a stress relief for me, just being out here on the beach," Dudley said.

Phil C
05-04-2005, 08:13 AM
What a university with unique and original ideas! Say I have a Masters degree so they could hire me to teach a class (for credit of course) on appreciating older movies with emphasis on Dawn at Socorro of course and ___________.

:D Good ole Professor GodFather! :)

pirate44
05-04-2005, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
What a university with unique and original ideas! Say I have a Masters degree so they could hire me to teach a class (for credit of course) on appreciating older movies with emphasis on Dawn at Socorro of course and ___________.

:D Good ole Professor GodFather! :)
and every tuesday class would be known as "Soccer Tuesday";)

Phil C
05-04-2005, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by pirate44
and every tuesday class would be known as "Soccer Tuesday";)

Good idea! :clap: :thinking:

AggieJohn
05-04-2005, 11:04 AM
nice report, except i have my kinesiology credits

District303aPastPlayer
05-04-2005, 11:20 AM
id take it just to be relaxing

pirate44
05-04-2005, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
id take it just to be relaxing
and heck, since they have a flat tuition rate, and you have less than 15 hrs, why not?

AggieJohn
05-04-2005, 11:27 AM
that is true