PDA

View Full Version : 5-3A District Battle

whsfan
10-14-2001, 03:22 PM
The Sweetwater at Ballinger game this week is the first of three key games that will determine the 5-3A district champion. Whose is going to come out on top this week?

I'm going to say that overall Sweetwater probably has the better team. However, they have some obstacles to overcome:
1) The game is in Ballinger. Ballinger has a good team that plays even better at home. Just ask Sonora.
2) Leaky defense. Sweetwater has been winning their games on the strength of Carillo and the offense. Ballinger has the potential to score a lot of points.
3) Next weeks game. Sweetwater plays Wylie the next week and they could easily look past the opponent this week.

All these are obstacles but I look for Sweetwater to pull it together and get the win.
Sweetwater 35
Ballinger 28

mark838
10-14-2001, 04:07 PM
You make some good points and you could be right, but I don't think Sweetwater will score 35 on Ballinger's defense. Therefore, Ballinger 35, Sweetwater 21.

[This message has been edited by mark838 (edited October 14, 2001).]

bigdawg
10-14-2001, 09:52 PM
I think Sweetwater will win the game, but their defense really needs to pick it up, especially to beat a powerful offense in Wylie.

Adidas410s
10-15-2001, 06:44 PM
I have seen both Sweetwater and Ballinger play once this season and there were a couple of things that stuck out to me.

1) Ballinger has a disciplined team that works together. In contrast, Sweetwater is an erratic and somewhat undisciplined team that revolves around Carillo. KEY: If Ballinger can play a good run D and force Carillo to pass, Sweetwater can head back home becuase Carillo cant make a good lengthy pass. When I saw him play, he threw 3 passes that were all under 3 yards downfield. The 4th pass was about 15-20 yds downfield and was very wobbly and offline.

2) Both teams have a good RB. By this I am referring to Posey from Ballinger and Carillo from Sweetwater. Check out Carilo's passing numbers and when compared to his rushing numbers, you can tell where his true position on the field lies. KEY: Sweetwater uses 2 or 3 RB's to go along w/ Carillo that will get between 10 and 20 carries. Ballinger relies mainly on Posey. If Sweetwater can shut down Posey, it will make it hard on Ballinger to move the ball because they dont exactly have a dominating passing attack.

3) Defense. Ballinger is proven and Sweetwater is not. This is the Mustangs chance to prove that they can stop a good offensive team.

Score:

Ballinger 27
Sweetwater 24

but it could just as easily be

Ballinger 20
Sweetwater 35

We will see come Friday. I feel that Ballinger will come out on top though.

mark838
10-15-2001, 07:01 PM
One name for Ballinger that hasn't been mentioned is Trobridge. This kid can run with the ball too, and if Sweetwater keys solely on Posey this kid can burn them.

rsjmann
10-17-2001, 09:24 AM
Whoever thinks that Sweetwater is undisciplined is seriiously mistaken. They played Lamesa and were very disciplined. There defense was very good and Carillo is the best QB in Class 3A. Colby Page ,QB for Lamesa , is very fast and Carillo was even faster. There is no way Ballinger will be able to contain Carillo. He is like a magician. Just when you think you have him tackled, he breaks a long run or dumps off a pass. Sweetwater will go undefeated in their district. I just hope they do not tick off Abilene Wylie to bad before Lamesa plays them in the playoffs.

victory11
10-17-2001, 06:14 PM
carillo isn't the best qb in district 5-3a much less in all of 3a. and sweetwater isn't goin undefeated.

Gunn08
10-17-2001, 07:17 PM
Wylie is definately way too smart to get beat by a one dimensional team like sweetwater. Carillo carries the team, wylie will contain him, and if he did break loose,its not like lampert couldnt run him down. There isnt a shadow of a doubt in my mind that wylie will handle sweetwater. It may be a good game, but sweetwater isnt up to wylie's level of play. This week the focus is on Merkel, but Wylie will be ready to welcome sweetwater to a new level of play that they wont like come next week.

Mustang45
10-17-2001, 07:49 PM
i play at sweetwater. we are good this year, i think we can win state. we have carillo who is no doubt the best qb in the state plus we have 5 lineman over 200lbs. we have 10 guys that can bench over 200lbs too. with those kind of big and strong athletes district 5-3a is in trouble. feel tha stang of a mustang. hey, is lil russ #91?? i will hurt all yalls players in the district by myself.

hsguru
10-17-2001, 10:04 PM
WOW!!! 10 over 200 lbs??? Yall need to hire a new strength and conditioning coach!!

Sweetwater gives up too many points, and a team like Ballinger will exploit every weakness you have defensively.
Ballinger 26
Sweewater 13

mark838
10-18-2001, 07:24 AM
Mustang45 if you were really from Sweetwater you would know how to spell Carrillo. I think you are maybe a flute player in the Wylie band because you display no knowledge of football, but are quick with your tongue and fingers.

[This message has been edited by mark838 (edited October 18, 2001).]

Mustang45
10-18-2001, 02:00 PM
mark- i would like to meet you in a dark alley, then see what you thought.

deliriousmaniac
10-18-2001, 08:53 PM
"5 lineman over 200lbs" Hmmm...You and 3/4th's of 3A.

"We have 10 guys that can bench over 200lbs too." Holy Macrel!! Over 200 lbs??!?? My gosh send the college scouts!!!

"with those kind of big and strong athletes district 5-3a is in trouble."
I'm sure they are wetting their pants as we speak. I mean you do have 10 guys that can bench 200.

"feel the stang a mustang. hey, is lil russ #91?? i will hurt all yalls players in the district by myself." Well if there are 8th graders playing in district 5-3A you guys might want to watch out for this guy, sounds scary to me.