PDA

View Full Version : Van Gundy isn't problem...refs are

JasperDog94
05-03-2005, 02:18 PM
Story here (http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/3588876)

OK, David Stern, you made your point.

You don't want NBA coaches talking publicly about the terrible officiating in the NBA. You don't want NBA coaches protecting their sources on inside information about the terrible officiating in the NBA. You don't want hardworking, passionate, decent men coaching in the NBA if they are going to be so impolitic as to point out the terrible officiating in the NBA.
Now, do you have any plans to actually do anything about the terrible officiating in the NBA?

If Jeff Van Gundy can be fined $100,000 for suggesting that he was tipped off by an NBA ref that the league was going to be "looking harder at Yao" in the playoffs — which may very well be true — then what does Mr. Stern propose to do about the unconscionable sixth foul called on Tim Duncan in last night's overtime against Denver?

With two minutes gone in OT, Carmelo Anthony slipped and fell — in the same spot that Andre Miller slipped earlier, by the way — and so the whistle blew. Why? Because the whistle always blows. (Unless it absolutely should, in which case it is often swallowed.) And when the whistle blows, everything stops. And everyone looks at the official who only then realizes the gravity of the situation. He has to call SOMETHING.

In this case, the official, having assumed a foul must have been committed, then had to look for a perpetrator and found only Duncan in the vicinity. Sorry. You're gone. Replays showed what viewers and broadcasters suspected: Anthony slipped. So this ref not only blew a call at a critical moment of a critical game, but he tagged a superstar with his sixth foul.

So what will his fine be? How about five hundred bucks? Perhaps a one-game suspension? Don't hold your breath. Lucky for Stern and his beleaguered officials, the Spurs won going away in overtime in what TNT's Charles Barkley called "one of the worst-officiated games I've seen in my 20 years associated with the NBA."

But Van Gundy's Rockets weren't lucky enough to survive the worst call of the night. Or rather, the worst non-call, which — horror of horrors — happened with Commissioner Stern in attendance.

With Houston making a run to close within three in the final minute, Rockets guard Jon Barry secured a defensive rebound under the basket. Since Barry himself was practically on the baseline, it's safe to assume that any defender that swooped in under his left elbow would be out of bounds. So when Michael Finley reached in from the baseline side of Barry and poked the ball free, Bennett Salvatore, Joe DeRosa or Tony Brothers would have to blow his whistle, right?

Right?

Nope. Like the rest of us, Salvatore and company just looked on doing nothing as the ball bounced to Jerry Stackhouse, who was tripped by Barry and awarded two crucial free throws.

According to Van Gundy, Salvatore claimed Finley had indeed been inbounds when he reached in and touched the ball. Wow.

Won't Mr. Salvatore be surprised when he sees the replay. Was Finley's right foot inbounds and his left foot on the line? No. Was Finley's left foot out of bounds and his right foot on the line? No. Were both of Finley's feet completely freakin' out of bounds? YESSSSSSS!!!

So what will the sanctions be against Salvatore's crew for contributing mightily to the Rockets' 103-100 loss? The usual. Nothing.

Antoine Walker can get suspended for making contact with an official — in what had been the worst-officiated game of the playoffs prior to Spurs-Nuggets last night — and Van Gundy can be fined 100 large for divulging certain details of a private conversation and then not giving up his friend, but when will NBA officials be publicly held to account for doing a poor job?

Stern's answer seems to be to come down hard on the complainers and hope it will distract the fans from the larger problem. But he's missing the solution.

Replay. Replay, replay, replay, a thousand times replay!

If it's good enough to see if a shot was released in time or if a toe was on the line, why not to see if a player was inbounds when he made contact with the ball?

Both of Monday night's horrible calls could have been overturned by replay. Give coaches two challenges per game or per half, or one per game, but give them something. Anything to avoid officials deciding games. If throwing the red flag has already been taken, maybe they could roll a red-white-and-blue ball onto the court to signify a challenge.

Do you think Bennett Salvatore wants to feel like a jackass when he watches that replay and realizes not only did his crew blow the call but that he erroneously defended the non-call to the losing coach? Of course not.

On a play like Finley reaching in from out of bounds, a ref would happily overturn his own ruling and award the ball to the aggrieved team.

Same with those pesky block/charge calls when the refs are always guessing as to whether the defender's heels have cleared the circle under the basket. How many hundreds of times during the regular season does the replay reveal an official's error on this call? Sometimes the defender gets called for a block when his heels are hovering just above the circle, and sometimes the penetrator gets called for a charge when the defender's heels are on the line. It's an impossible call to make with any certainty when massive bodies are flying at high speeds.

So in the pressure cooker of the playoffs, let's just acknowledge that refs make mistakes that television cameras can rectify and use the technology to take some of the heat off the officials.

There's a reason so many calls are missed in the NBA — it's an almost impossible game to officiate. If you've ever been courtside when the combustible mixture of freakish giants and blazing sprinters (and freakish giant, blazing sprinters) all collide in pursuit of a rebound, you know it's simply impossible to have a perfect night as an NBA ref.

So why not help the refs, the coaches and the fans? NBA games don't run that long. There's time for a handful of challenges. Just to get the calls right.

Or you can threaten to run Jeff Van Gundy, one of the genuine good guys in the league, out of the game. It's your choice, David Stern.

District303aPastPlayer
05-03-2005, 02:24 PM
was it the houston or san antonio game last night, where the inbound pass came in, the guy tucked the ball, and a foul was called as soon as someone got close to him. the guy with the ball never moved, and the defensive players put him in a simple trap. i guess playing trap defense is a foul now too?

JasperDog94
05-03-2005, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
was it the houston or san antonio game last night, where the inbound pass came in, the guy tucked the ball, and a foul was called as soon as someone got close to him. the guy with the ball never moved, and the defensive players put him in a simple trap. i guess playing trap defense is a foul now too? That was the Houston/Dallas game. Houston went to trap a player and they called a foul before anyone touched him.

District303aPastPlayer
05-03-2005, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
That was the Houston/Dallas game. Houston went to trap a player and they called a foul before anyone touched him.
i dont think they even had a chance to set their feet. barry got there, and as soon as he started to put his hands UP IN THE AIR, a foul is called...

JasperDog94
05-03-2005, 02:50 PM
i dont think they even had a chance to set their feet. barry got there, and as soon as he started to put his hands UP IN THE AIR, a foul is called... That's some of that great "David Stern" officiating you saw there. Nothing gets done to those guys and as a coach, you can't say anything about it. It's sad that you have to rely on Charles Barkley to have to bring it up.:p

District303aPastPlayer
05-03-2005, 02:52 PM
That's some of that great "David Stern" officiating you saw there. Nothing gets done to those guys and as a coach, you can't say anything about it. It's sad that you have to rely on Charles Barkley to have to bring it up.:p

i swear, last night, when he got on it was the funniest thing. "that has got to be the worst officiated game i have ever seen in my 20+ years of being associated with the league" or something along those lines..

big daddy russ
05-03-2005, 02:55 PM
Gotta love Sir Charles. Always tells it like it is.

BTW, he's an Auburn boy.

JasperDog94
05-03-2005, 02:59 PM
Not to get off subject, but did you hear him last year (or the year before) when someone was holding up a sign that said "Barkley, your right" and he didn't see the gramatical error? That went on forever and he had a classic one-liner when he said, "How am I gonna lead the SEC in rebounds and attend class at the same time." Classic Sir Charles.

big daddy russ
05-03-2005, 03:01 PM
Not to get off subject, but did you hear him last year (or the year before) when someone was holding up a sign that said "Barkley, your right" and he didn't see the gramatical error? That went on forever and he had a classic one-liner when he said, "How am I gonna lead the SEC in rebounds and attend class at the same time." Classic Sir Charles.
LOL, didn't catch that one.

Holmes_Fans
05-03-2005, 04:18 PM
i dont think they even had a chance to set their feet. barry got there, and as soon as he started to put his hands UP IN THE AIR, a foul is called...
If anything that saved them a few seconds, they were going to have to foul anyways.

AggieJohn
05-03-2005, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Gotta love Sir Charles. Always tells it like it is.

BTW, he's an Auburn boy.
i wonder if he want's to still be the governor of alabama

JasperDog94
05-03-2005, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Holmes_Fans
If anything that saved them a few seconds, they were going to have to foul anyways. Actually they were trying to make him make a bad pass. They still had plenty of time on the clock to force a bad pass and get a basket. The point is that this was a horrible game as far as officiating goes and it got worse in the second game.