PDA

View Full Version : Too Extreme?????

Bulldog_12
05-03-2005, 10:03 AM
Ok, I know this is late, but do you think that $100,000 is too harsh for Jeff Van Gundy? Were his comments really THAT bad to warrant the steepest fine ever placed on a coach?

Bulldog_12
05-03-2005, 10:05 AM
I HAVE to say yes because I think everyone should have an opinion. Basically what Stern is saying is that, sure you can have an opinion, but don't voice it to anyone except me, or your life as a coach is over. Not only is JVG paying this fine, but could also be staring at a LIFETIME suspension if the name of the official who gave him the info isnt released.

Phil C
05-03-2005, 10:06 AM
Carmelo Anthony was fined $7,500 which is like a penny compared to his salary for his fragrant foul against Ginolby the other night which off the court would have resulted in an arrest and charges against him. A coach exercises his freedom of speach right and gets fined. No justice here.

pirate44
05-03-2005, 10:23 AM
my opinion, theyre making too much of it.

scrub c
05-03-2005, 10:23 AM
yeah thats a little steep!

spiveyrat
05-03-2005, 10:38 AM
Who is Van Gundy?

Bandera YaYa
05-03-2005, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
Carmelo Anthony was fined $7,500 which is like a penny compared to his salary for his fragrant foul against Ginolby the other night which off the court would have resulted in an arrest and charges against him. A coach exercises his freedom of speach right and gets fined. No justice here. Anthony took an EXTREMELY cheap shot at GinoBOLI in that game.....in my opinion, he should be sitting at home, watching the rest of the series......him and others have been slinging elbows, pushing in the back...cheap attempts to injure us, i guess.....But the Spurs are gonna win this series at home with class and guts, BABY!!!! GO SPURS GO......... :mad: :D

AggieJohn
05-03-2005, 12:32 PM
in essence if this is the stiffist fine that has ever been handed down...we are saying this is the worst thing that a coach has ever done

Bulldog_12
05-03-2005, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
in essence if this is the stiffist fine that has ever been handed down...we are saying this is the worst thing that a coach has ever done

EXACTLY what I was thinking. Surely criticizing officials publicly has not been the WORST thing a coach has done in the ENTIRE lifespan of the NBA. The only thing is, Shaq criticized refs last year but only got a slap on the wrist, and now they are talking of banning Van Gundy? I think there might be more between Stern and Van Gundy than meets the eye.

pirate44
05-03-2005, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog_12
EXACTLY what I was thinking. Surely criticizing officials publicly has not been the WORST thing a coach has done in the ENTIRE lifespan of the NBA. The only thing is, Shaq criticized refs last year but only got a slap on the wrist, and now they are talking of banning Van Gundy? I think there might be more between Stern and Van Gundy than meets the eye.
what they are investigating is the fact what he said amounts to accusing the nba playoffs as being "fixed" by NBA officials and having information from a ref who has first hand knowledge, and not giving up the name of his "source". this would fuel all the speculation and conspiracy theorists who have been saying this for years. if that was the case, then it IS the worse thing a coach has done.

but i dont think that is what Van Gundy was saying. they are blowing this thing way out of proportion.

District303aPastPlayer
05-03-2005, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
what they are investigating is the fact what he said amounts to accusing the nba playoffs as being "fixed" by NBA officials and having information from a ref who has first hand knowledge, and not giving up the name of his "source". this would fuel all the speculation and conspiracy theorists who have been saying this for years. if that was the case, then it IS the worse thing a coach has done.

but i dont think that is what Van Gundy was saying. they are blowing this thing way out of proportion.

its down right rediculous. he said they are looking at Yao more critically(his source). heck yeah as a coach i would go forward with this info. its borderline fixing by the officials... and i dont see how they are fining Van Gundy... on the Carmello foul. it was flagrant, no harm done. it was a hard foul. as is the game of basketball. he got ejected, thats punishment enough.

JasperDog94
05-03-2005, 02:20 PM
So far 7 people think it's not too harsh. I'm curious why ya'll think that.

Maroon87
05-03-2005, 02:57 PM
The funniest thing to me is, Carmelo Anthony gets a drop in the bucket fine for his assault of Ginobili, when the most indelible image of this NBA season was the Pacers/Pistons brawl which was originally ignited by a similar hard foul. Stern is basically saying that Van Gundy's comments are more damaging to the league than violence. Interesting...

District303aPastPlayer
05-03-2005, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
The funniest thing to me is, Carmelo Anthony gets a drop in the bucket fine for his assault of Ginobili, when the most indelible image of this NBA season was the Pacers/Pistons brawl which was originally ignited by a similar hard foul. Stern is basically saying that Van Gundy's comments are more damaging to the league than violence. Interesting...

he fouled him. what started the pacers/pistons brawl was shoving one man back by his throat and a beer being thrown at a player... i dont think that Ginobili got fouled that hard. we've seen harder... but then again, i am not a spurs fan, so i may not be as compassionate about the spurs being fouled as you are... just my $.03

Maroon87
05-03-2005, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
he fouled him. what started the pacers/pistons brawl was shoving one man back by his throat and a beer being thrown at a player... i dont think that Ginobili got fouled that hard. we've seen harder... but then again, i am not a spurs fan, so i may not be as compassionate about the spurs being fouled as you are... just my $.03

We have definitely seen harder, but it was hard enough for him to be ejected. I think the Van Gundy fine was quite a bit much, IMO.

JasperDog94
05-03-2005, 03:10 PM
We still haven't heard from any of the folks that don't think this was too harsh. Where are ya'll at? Let's hear why you don't think it's too harsh.

Bulldog_12
05-03-2005, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
We still haven't heard from any of the folks that don't think this was too harsh. Where are ya'll at? Let's hear why you don't think it's too harsh.

I wanna know why they say no too. Im curious how they could think that 100 grand is reasonable.

JasperDog94
05-03-2005, 04:21 PM
Bueller.....Bueller....Bueller....